.270 Win to .270 WSM

Schiehallion

Anyone ever moved from .270 to .270 WSM ?
If so, why ?
What are the noticeable differences ?
Has it been worth it ?
Was .270 not suitable ?
Question only applicable in this instance to UK deer, and stalkers who had .270 previously.

I didn't, wouldn't, but then, why would anyone consider such a move? Ballistically speaking, of course. We all have been schooled enough by now to understand how important it is to lose that 3/4" of bolt travel when you go from the long action to the shortaction. ;) ~Muir

I didn't, wouldn't, but then, why would anyone consider such a move? Ballistically speaking, of course. We all have been schooled enough by now to understand how important it is to lose that 3/4" of bolt travel when you go from the long action to the shortaction. ;) ~Muir

Thats a point Muir... never thought of bolt travel!..
Cheers
S.

I was kidding. I have never noticed the bolt throw on a rifle during the heat of battle. Some people will spend thousands of dollars to get a short action. All for a few ounces of weight.

As to the 270 WSM. I have noticed that the sales of rifles in these WSM (and WSSM) chamberings are falling off. The dregs remain on US dealer's racks. Brass is selling but the rifles are a dead issue. These were Winchester's last ditch effort to save their company: coming out with a new and "better" cartridge chambered for their rifles. It is a sales technique that has worked for them for 100 years but in this internet age, couldn't get the job done before people wised up.

I am not saying that they are bad -tho the WSSM versions are troublesome feeding in come denominations- but just not worth trading in a good 270 for. I still suspect that brass supplies will become an issue. Just an observation from this side of the pond.~Muir

I can’t see a lot of value with swapping from 270 to 270WSM, the WSM ballistic advantage only starts to show with heavier 150/160 gn bullets, and I own a WSSM. If you don’t already own a 270 and are coming at it with a blank piece of paper and have found a 270 WSM rifle that you really like at the right price then I wouldn’t be put off by it being a WSM.

One last point this assumes you are a reloader, if not stick to a 270 win.

ATB

Tahr

The WSM's are not a bad idea, they work perfectly well if you can be bothered with them. The 270wsm seems to throw a 140gr bullet at the speed a 270win can chuck a 130gr, which is to say, too fast for most UK stalkers.

If you have the kit and the talent to shoot at longer ranges, 400 yards plus, there might be some merit in owning one.

The main advantage with the WSM's is that the felt recoil is significantly less than the conventional old world cartridges.

I am speaking from direct experience of owning both .270WSM's and .300WSM's. I have owned 2 x .270 win's also and it is one of my all time favourite cartridges. My theory in the less percieved recoil area is down to the short fat powder stack. That is my theory only I might add but it is one that makes sense to me as the difference was definitely not a figment of my imagination.

You are also getting slightly more horse power with the .270 WSM but not enough in my opinion to make a practical amount of difference in the field. So more horse power with less felt recoil.

You will not be dissapointed if you get a WSM but the conventional older cartridges are superb too (just to confuse you more than you perhaps already are).

The main advantage with the WSM's is that the felt recoil is significantly less than the conventional old world cartridges.

I am speaking from direct experience of owning both .270WSM's and .300WSM's. I have owned 2 x .270 win's also and it is one of my all time favourite cartridges. My theory in the less percieved recoil area is down to the short fat powder stack. That is my theory only I might add but it is one that makes sense to me as the difference was definitely not a figment of my imagination.

You are also getting slightly more horse power with the .270 WSM but not enough in my opinion to make a practical amount of difference in the field. So more horse power with less felt recoil.

You will not be dissapointed if you get a WSM but the conventional older cartridges are superb too (just to confuse you more than you perhaps already are).

;) I'll bet it had far more to do with the stock and fit of the different rifles in question :D. As I have said before the only WSM I would even consider looking at would be the .325 the others I have no time, room for or even interest in. I just saw them as the attempt to re-invent the wheel and pander to the short action brigade :rolleyes:. But that's another story.

I have also yet to find the mystery heavy recoil that the .270 Winchester is famed :eek: my first full bore rifle was a BSA CF2 Stutzen in .270 Winchester which still resides in my cabinet and since then I have added a few more. My main use stalking rifle at present is a BSA Majestic Featherweight in .270 of 59 vintage that weighs 7lbs 12ozs ready to go:-

PICT0064.jpg

PICT0067.jpg

As you can see. This rifle also spends a lot of time at the range on load testing and just practice and even prone recoil is not an issue. Others who have tried it are scared at first due to the .270's "evil recoil" reputation and on being handed the rifle due t oit's light weight are dreading the recoil and expecting to get the snot knocked out fo them :rolleyes:. Watching their faces when it does not happen is really amusing and the second shot is quickly taken :p.

Some have to be persuaded to even try it due to the recoil they have been told the .270 Winchester dishes out :rolleyes:.

Oh and my shoulder bruises easily :oops:.

Would certainly second the missing recoil. I use fed.fusion 130 in the 270 I bought fron CD. Flinched first two shots looking for the recoil that never materialised. I take it the mumpers are the bipod brigade that rests the barrel on their shoulder rather than hold it cos the recoil is way under that of a twelve bore by a long way,
Jim

If people stopped buying light weight rifles with fiberglass stocks the recoil would probably be tolerable.:stir: I have never found recoil to be a factor in 30-06 class rifles unless there was a stock design issue. I once had a pre-war Remington Model 30 Express in 30-06 that kicked the living hades out of me but it has a severe drop at the comb; almost 1/2" below the line of the bore. The rifle tried to recoil up and over my shoulder at every shot. It soon became a 280 in a slim piece of Mesquite at weighed about 7 pounds, naked. Nice to shoot and very accurate.~Muir

I was looking at .270's on a fairly well known gunshop web-site and they were touting the .270 as the "forgotton" round, Just waiting to be re-discovered by the shooting press. I must admit I thought, "how true".

On the Chuck Hawk's web site there is a lovely piece on the .270 and the 30-06, called "The Perfect Pair".
http://www.chuckhawks.com/perfect_pair.htm

130gn from the .270 for medium game, 180gn from the 30-06 for bigger stuff. Ideal really.

ft

I have an older Lake Lander .270win and a Browning ABOLT.270WSM, I prefer the WSM its a flatter shooting round and seems a little kinder to shoot. Both have moderators and both are very unkind to shoot without. Both have been head spaced and are in very good condition. The ABOLT WSM has a Lother Walther 24"barrel which we fitted in our workshop and head spaced. The WSM is extremely accurate with 130grn Winchester Ammo, however, I am going to experiment with lighter loads. Both the .270win and WSM rounds are very effective, one drawback with WSM is that it only holds 3 rounds in the mag, so if you need more, then you will need to re-load. Looking at action length, the WSM is a shorter action, its a medium action and its noticable when needing a second shot. I enjoy shooting the WSM and have shot many rounds through both, but would prefer the WSM over the .270win.

I also own a .243, 7x57 and a 6.5x55, but enjoy the WSM, lots of bang for your bucks..............

Sorry old chap but this:-

Looking at action length, the WSM is a shorter action, its a medium action and its noticable when needing a second shot

I find totally unbelievable :!: the difference as your quite aware is only 11mm or just over 3/8" unless your using a Magnum length receiver. Also can you explain how having a rifle headspaced can effect the felt recoil?

.270 just seems completely pointless as a calibre to me anyway. It's so close to 7mm why not just get a 7mm and give yourself more choice on bullets/ammo.

.270 just seems completely pointless as a calibre to me anyway. It's so close to 7mm why not just get a 7mm and give yourself more choice on bullets/ammo.

:rofl: Someone needs to check on 7mm ammo supplies ;) loaded factory ammo and componant bulelts. With the advent of the 7-08 the shops that actually carry 7mm bullets has probably increased a little but I have rifles chambered for the 7mm Mauser cartridge and finding supplies can be problematic. Yes the bullet weight range is better in 0.284" but I have found that far more shops stock the 0.277" bullets and loaded ammunition in .270 Winchester than carry 7mm Mauser (7x57).

Oh I am also building up a .280 rifle at the moment but I still like the .270 Winchester cartridge ;). Now the .280 cartridge seem to be almost impossible to find ammunition for :rolleyes:.

As Brit says in theory only. The 7mm runs from 100gn to 175gn bullets while the 270 only runs from 90gn to 160gn so I guess that gives you 5gns extra range. But you walk into a gun shop and look at what they have on the shelf in the UK; you will have a better choice of 270 bullets. Then move to loaded ammo and the 270 will win hands down.

Now don’t think I am not a fan of the 7mm because nothing could be further from the truth, I even brought a 7 mm barrel to re-barrel my 270, but changed my mind at the last minute because of ammo availability when shooting abroad.

ATB

Tahr

I built a stock and bedded my friends 270WSM, he changed from 270 win to wsm. No real
reason other than at that time a short action howa was available for a custom build.
This wsm with a Lothar Walther barrel is extemely accurate and very reliable. Many deer
have fallen to it.
I think the 270wsm is a bit over the top. The case itself is interesting with larger calibers,
like the 9.3 RSM which seems a great piggy round.
edi

I think "short" is a dirty word when talking about rifles... And since when has anyone found a real practicel difference between a short and standard action?

Anyway, think about how short fat and ugly a WSM case is, and how long slender and beautiful a 270 win case is ;)

Last edited:
Beauty in in the eye of the beholder and it seems some like short and fat.......................... we won't mention "ugly" ;)

The .270 case like the 25-06 does have graceful lines to mine eyes at least. I once read someone, an American writer, liked the .270 to a minuteman ballistic missile.

Beauty in in the eye of the beholder and it seems some like short and fat.......................... we won't mention "ugly" ;)

The .270 case like the 25-06 does have graceful lines to mine eyes at least. I once read someone, an American writer, liked the .270 to a minuteman ballistic missile.

yeah i reckon 270 has the best lines, followed closely by 7x57 and 280 with 243 wssm an easy last.

And it wasn't me that made the link with women...

Back