just a quick question
    today i was asked about bow hunting in this country
    i thought it was illegal ,
    can any one shed some light on this at all for me
    many thanks
    stone

Yup its not legal,

I cannot see how its humane either

Yes, I understood that it was illegal as well. I don't think that you can hunt anything live with a bow in the UK.

As far as being humane, as with rifles, I think that it is as humane as the person with the bow in their hands. Done right at short distance and it can be as humane as a rifle. What worries me is that I have seen videos of bow hunts where the deer has already started bolting before the arrow has reached it. They can obviously hear the shot being taken. If you then have to predict which way they are likely to bolt and try to compensate with the shot, then the humane side of things becomes extremely questionable.
    I will add that my only experience of hunting with a bow has been through videos that I have watched so I am an armchair expert!

It is illegal in the UK. I have a number of inquiries every year from the States about Bow Hunting in the UK. The Americans cant understand why we do not allow it.

Modern Bows are pieces of engineering in their own right, and in experianced hands are a deadly weapon. However you also get the real purists who only shoot wooden bows (you know green tights and green pointed shoes) brigade

They even allow bow hunting in Africa, and on big game like Leopard, Lion and even Buff and Elephant. They must be nuts

thanks lads
    i hav actualy found a site which shows a map of europe ,which shows you which countrys it is legal and illegal to bow hunt in
    the uk is one that is illegal and has been since 1963 but can't find any data as to why it was banned
    but with this,
    i now can pass on this info
    many thanks
    stone

There is talk of making bow hunting legal here in Sweden. It will be restricted to small game, roe, hares etc. It is as i understand legal in Denmark on small game.
    I having never tried bow hunting or want to. But i have read about bow hunting and have an open mind about it.

Quote Originally Posted by stone
    thanks lads
    i hav actualy found a site which shows a map of europe ,which shows you which countrys it is legal and illegal to bow hunt in
    the uk is one that is illegal and has been since 1963 but can't find any data as to why it was banned
    but with this,
    i now can pass on this info
    many thanks
    stone
    My son is into field target archery and has shot at national level, I have witnessed small game being taken abroad by the ex UK national junior champion and I am undecided as to whether it should be legal in the UK.

I think that the legislation which was brought in to stop people shooting animals with crossbows, by accident stop people taking animals with a bow, I could be wrong but that was what I was told.

Best rgds

Tahr

Tahr,
    Why would the legislation be more directed at crossbows and not bows. I assumed that a crossbow would be more humane than a bow.
    Now that I think about it, I have never seen an American hunt with a crossbow but have never thought about why they don't.
    Do crossbows not provide as much punch as a compound bow?

I think that we should use the best and most modern tools to do the job, the rifle. Before bows men used to drive deer into pit falls or deer hayes and slaughter them with stone axes. We have moved on from those methods, we should move on from bows to.
    I try very hard to kill deer quickly and humanely, sometimes that takes longer than I would wish. It shouldn't be about our vainty or sporting preference it should be about dispatching the unfortunate beast with the least amount of pain and in the shortest amount of time possible IMHO.

Using a bow accurately - and as a result humanely - takes considerable practice and skill. Plus you don't need an FAC for one. Put those two facts together and the result would be disastrous for deer in the UK. I think we're better off as the law stands.