Thread: extended leave, licencing issue?

extended leave, licencing issue?

A friend of mine is going to be out of the country for 6 months, he may or may not return to the same address. He will resume shooting on his return to the uk so has no intention of giving up his guns or licence privelages.
    Anyone have any experience of this scenario?

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    I don't see what the issue is, I assume he is in the forces, the police will be aware that HM Forces do deploy regularly. Even if he is not HM Forces, there should be no issue, so long as his Firearms/Shotguns are where they should be, everything should be fine. I have been away 3 times in 3 years with no problem.

If he lives by himself and the property will be unoccopied for this time, I'd inform the police of the situation for security reasons, either that or find someone who will take his cabinet and Firearms but have no access to it......

Just my pennies worth

Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I worked in the US for about 6 months, and despite being asked when I was in Kentucky, did I go home each weekend, I didn't. I travelled home about every 4 weeks, bringing a rifle back on two occasions. All my rifles and shotguns are jointly held and were placed in my Dad's gun cupboard before I left and recovered when I returned. Getting variations to purchase a .260 and .22 meant that the firearms dept knew exactly what I was doing and they were very helpful.

The key thing is to demonstrate that the firearms are being kept secure. When I was burgled and the gun cabinet wrecked (by my own crowbar and tools), I took my stuff to Alex Dalgleish in Eaglesham for repairs and storage until I had a new gun cupboard installed.

The burglars were eventually caught with my Cabelas rucksack in their flat. One was charged with 50 counts and one with 70 counts. They appealed.

Rgds JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 09-11-2010 at 20:36. Reason: added crowbar

When you say "may or may not return to the same address" does that mean he will still be "resident" there and not some stranger/other tenant? Will his rifles still be stored there? Therein the issue.

If he is not returning to the same address he will need to store his guns with an RFD until he has a secure storage facility ( approved by his FEO ) upon his return.