Parker Hale Moderator

User00003

My BRNO Mod.2 - .22LR came with a Parker Hale moderator. Looks pretty think and steel-ish, and when I look through it, it looks like MASSIVE rifling. is this a peice of junk I should just bin, or will it work ok?

They are solid and made of steel.
If you unscrew the end and empty it you will find it is half full of 'buckled' washers, there will be a crimp half way down the body giving you an expansion chamber in the first half and the washers are held in place from the crimp for the second half. The 'buckled' washer is to swirl the gasses as they exit the muzzle. When first looking at them they will give the impression that they have been 'dinged' by the bullet on it's way out but not so, thay are made that way.
You will need a long piece of metal rod to get the washers stacked correctly when reassmbling it, I use a piece of welding rod to align mine.
They do the job and were/are good in their day but today there are much lighter and better made moderators about.

They are solid and made of steel.
If you unscrew the end and empty it you will find it is half full of 'buckled' washers, there will be a crimp half way down the body giving you an expansion chamber in the first half and the washers are held in place from the crimp for the second half. The 'buckled' washer is to swirl the gasses as they exit the muzzle. When first looking at them they will give the impression that they have been 'dinged' by the bullet on it's way out but not so, thay are made that way.
You will need a long piece of metal rod to get the washers stacked correctly when reassmbling it, I use a piece of welding rod to align mine.
They do the job and were/are good in their day but today there are much lighter and better made moderators about.

Great response! many thanks. just another question, is it necessary to take it apart? it's pretty much never been used, believe it or not.

There are lighter more modern moderators around but this design sets the standard by which others are generally judged. Very few match the Parker Hale for effectiveness.

The Parker Hale moderator CAN be taken apart and cleaned now and again because the washers do get coked up a bit BUT if it is not as old and used as me:) then it is better left alone as a certain amount of coking helps the noise reduction to a small degree and once taken apart they are a not the easiest to put back together.

I took mine appart , got a spring with a large dia that fit into the tube & cut it into 3/4 " sections, then drop a washer, spring washer spring , until full , screw the end back on, check the clearance thru the centre & hey presto, lighter , quieter, & easily strippable, if i should want to clean.

Likewise, I bought a .22RF which came with a parker hale Mod, it also came with a rod that slid through the center to help remove and replace the washers etc.
I took mine apart and cleaned it but it developed problems then, so I contacted Bisley Uk who market them and they sent me info on assembly, all sorted now and a super mod. During the problems and my enquiries I found everyone saying these Mod's were excellent.

Back