Children and shooting.

basil

Distinguished Member
How young is too young to start shooting?
My step grandaughter is six years old and has expressed an interest in shooting and hunting, she`s certainly not a dolls and prams type of kid.
Is six too young to introduce her to gun safety and plink a few targets with an air rifle?
Her parents aren`t against the idea.
basil.

Basil

No and go for it.

My daughter was 4 when we started her but 6 I would say is just about the right age.

She is now 7 and is loving using my PCP to knock down a knock down target.

Have a look on the junior air rifle thread in Rifles and equipement.

They are never too young I did a humane dispach for a local farmer a month or two ago and his children all saw the results asked questions got answers with no frills .They were intersted in the rifle and understand what it is for since have all wanted to shoot air rifle and generally being shown what its all about GREAT.

I don't have a proper answer, even though I started shooting at about 8years old and so did my kids, and with any luck so will my new wee grandson, though I was around birth, death, farming folk, guns and shooting folk from the day my mother and I came home from the maternity hospital... a cautionary tale I do have, however.

Our local village/town has a mix of old local/rural families and many city working/commuting, for the want of a better word, incomers. Most of whom, I have to say, are fine folk and an asset to the community, aye both locals and incomers.

When he was about seven or so, a well liked local keeper's son was asked in class to write a story about what he did during his holidays... He, loves being with his old man, out doing the rounds and helping with everything, so he wrote pretty much what you'd expect.

The result was not what you'd have hoped, but I reckon you can see where this is going. The school teacher involved was appalled and evidently she was not alone. Social services were NOT called in but, as the tale was passed to me, I gather she gave the distinct impression that that was a lever she felt she had at her disposal and had considered pulling (to what effect I know not). However, the parents were summoned and the situation diffused, somewhat. Such are the times we live in. No more stories from the keepers day, or night, were to be told.

I don't know where you live or how your community might react, but being a farmers boy I would never have thought my community would have been divided in it's reaction as it was, but it was nonetheless. Sad really, especially for a happy wee seven year old boy and his devoted parents.

Incidentally, I don't wish that those involved should be identifiable and I hope they realise that, if they are reading this. For their sake I also hope I have told the tale truthfully and accurately enough, for the purposes of this thread.

Last edited:
Go for it
The earlier they learn and get over the excitment , the safer and level headed they will be when they come of age and go out by themselves

My son, 11 is a keen shot with airgun and shot gun and has come stalking a few times with me and witnessed roe and fallow shots. Both my daughters are interested (4 & 9) and your post has spurred me on to get them more involved perhaps with the airgun, though they both like coming ferreting with me.
Not wishing to hijack the thread but I am unclear as far as the law is concerned with firearms and young people, am I right in thinking that my son has to get his own firarms cert at 14 to be able to fire my .22 or .243 even with me pressent? Or is it ok for him to use the rimfire supervised?

Cheers George

Just read Tamus's tale , how sad. I'm proud that my children can go to school with tales of deer butchered on the kitchen table and rabbit in the pot. they have taken in pictures of them ferreting before. Thankfully thier local village school although 98% full of non country people are quite supportive and think its almost a quirky alternative lifestile!

Last edited:
Starting them early is a great idea, but for heavens sake don't force them into it!
Encourage them all you can but if they don't want it, you won't make it happen - just the opposite!
Heavy guns, loud bangs, or a lack of success due to age are likely to cause lasting memories which could put a youngster off for life! Chopping adult guns down is also a crap idea as it just ruins an otherwise balanced gun. Get the right tool for the job ready for when it is needed. Let them know it is there and they can try it whenever they like - again, don't force the issue! You will finally know when they are old enough as it is when they tell you and not vice versa!;)
Money spent on a junior gun is seldom wasted. You can't put a price on getting your kids into shooting really can you? When they have outgrown it, if you have looked after it, it will be worth as much, if not more than you paid for it anyway. View it as an 'investment' in your future!
My eldest now writes on the calendar when he wants to go out shooting! How can the wife refuse that one eh?!!:lol:
MS:)

Go for it.

My 14yr old son started air rifle at about 4, and has become a proficient shot with gun and rifle and has shot a fair bit of game and deer although ski-ing rugby and no doubt females are creeping into his mind right now so he will no doubt miss some shoot days once the snow is on the hill.

My 6 year old son on the other hand is absolutly manic about all things fishing shooting . His biggest delight is preparing and eating game and he is on the phone every night for the last 2wks to his grandfather to get the squirrel cull update and check that thing are being kept in the freezer for his inpending visit and feast!!!!

He tells his class mates every day what he has brought in for lunch [today venison roll:stag:, but on Monday he had a whole roast snipe!!!![inards out]] The village school delight in his enthusiasm and encourage him as he encourages other kids[sometimes].

My eldest daughter looks at me with disgust when shooting is mentioned and just doesn't get it! Middle daughter enjoys being out but not too bothered about shooting game.
However they are both crack rifle shots and shoot every week at Biathalon club:D

It's great to have the kids interested , however 2wks ago the little one was standing at the peg with me, we had an outstanding snipe drive[about 200 seen] and his questioning of WHY I wasn't hitting them was getting a tad irritating.

Especially when he pipes up Peter's a better shot than you, he got tons, I'll stand with him next time - he was swiftly relegated to the beating line

Both my grandson and my partners daughter, he is 7 she is 9, were showing an intrest in shooting so we aranged a day at the range, where we shot a whole heap of targets, the children and my partner had a great day and i had a fabulous day, i realy enjoyed introdusing them to shooting sports, we talked and demonstrated all the safety rules and taught them the shooter safety poem, we did this twice to make sure thay understood why safety is so important, hopefuly a leason that will be remembered, it will also be repeated by my partner and myself.
By the way thay both shot good targets but the young lady outshot my grandson.

Dry Powder.

Barry Thom

My daughter who is now 9 and some would say has an unhealthy obsession with all outdoor activities in which I participate be it stalking field sports or fishing.
She first accompanied me to the larder at the age of 7 and watched quietly as I dealt with a couple of red stags
after I had finished I asked her if she had any questions .Yes dad do you cut out the brain aswell ?
I think everyone knows there child and given the correct circumstances the younger they are introduced to what
is in effect a normal way of life the better.

Do it! I started at the same age, dad had the rifle rested on a cushion on the window-ledge to support it so I had no weight to hold. I also learnt what I could and could not shoot at, no plinking at songbirds for me, unlike some I knew!

The rifle was always used under supervision, until he bought me my own (a BSA Meteor Super .22) for my 11th birthday, I can also remember having to recite "a shooting man's advice to his son" before being able to have my present.

ft

Slightly off topic but continuing the theme of youngsters and interaction with teachers; Many years ago when we had been deer farming for only a short while and all the stags had names, my son who would have been about 6 years old was in class and the teacher was asking the kids one by one what they had been doing at the weekend. When she asked Daniel he replied " helping mum and dad chop up Martin and put him in the freezer." I am told the teacher recovered her composure quite quickly.:D

children and shooting

bambislayer
Go for it.

My 14yr old son started air rifle at about 4, and has become a proficient shot with gun and rifle and has shot a fair bit of game and deer although ski-ing rugby and no doubt females are creeping into his mind right now so he will no doubt miss some shoot days once the snow is on the hill.

My 6 year old son on the other hand is absolutly manic about all things fishing shooting . His biggest delight is preparing and eating game and he is on the phone every night for the last 2wks to his grandfather to get the squirrel cull update and check that thing are being kept in the freezer for his inpending visit and feast!!!!

He tells his class mates every day what he has brought in for lunch [today venison roll:stag:, but on Monday he had a whole roast snipe!!!![inards out]] The village school delight in his enthusiasm and encourage him as he encourages other kids[sometimes].

My eldest daughter looks at me with disgust when shooting is mentioned and just doesn't get it! Middle daughter enjoys being out but not too bothered about shooting game.
However they are both crack rifle shots and shoot every week at Biathalon club:D

It's great to have the kids interested , however 2wks ago the little one was standing at the peg with me, we had an outstanding snipe drive[about 200 seen] and his questioning of WHY I wasn't hitting them was getting a tad irritating.

Especially when he pipes up Peter's a better shot than you, he got tons, I'll stand with him next time - he was swiftly relegated to the beating line

+1 for this Bambislayer, new to this site but joined to read such comments as above. I'm all for encouraging my 13yr old to develop into 'himself' and not just one of the crowd like many at school these days. If they have something different and individual like shooting, then their development goes in this direction. It develops independence, self confidence and responsibility from an early age. Its also developing a healthy lifestyle involving exercise and an understanding of where the food comes from.
In short, some really good comments to this thread gents.

Last edited:
Start 'em young and keep 'em keen has always been the way in this family when it comes to any sporting activity.

Helps build confidence, teaches them respect and channels their energy's into something other than getting into trouble.

Never to young to start, but do remember that they are justkids with a short attention span so keep sessions short and interesting. And I would n't try to combine hunting ( ie actually go out after game / deer) with shooting ( ie using an air rifle on a tin can) in the same session. By all means take them out stalking / wildfowling etc but don't expect to shoot much as they will ask incessant questions and don't how to be quiet - something that takes time to learn. Let them carry their own binoculars and get them constantly looking for things and to be able sit quietly and watch. A freezing cold winter day is not brilliant either, but a warm balmy early summers evening is perfect.

And don't force them either and also respect that many may not want to.

Don't force them they will let you know if and when they are ready, though my kids did learn to shoot none of them have kept it up as adults, it skipped a generation grandson was very keen and is now at college doing a keepering course.

I let my son (now 12) make his own mind up about whether or not he wanted to come out shooting with me; he started beating aged 7, and is now keen as mustard (....see recent post about him nailing a stoat when out roost shooting!!). I'm under no illusions that over the next few years, other interests, ie beer and girls ;), will come along, but right now, I'm delighted that he's so enthusiastic - and we do have some good chats about stuff when we're in a pigeon hide together, or summat. He beats, helps fill the feeders, wallops rats with the air-rifle, comes pigeoning.....It's great. And I'm all for encouraging youngesters into the sport. His 7-year old sister isn't bothered one way or the other at the moment, but again, I'm quite happy to let her form her own views on the whole shebang.

Let them develop at their own pace, don't pressurise them, and make sure that for their first trip out at least, they stay warm and dry so it doesn't pui them off!!:D

My 5 kids range from 15 to 5 and they all have had a go with my .22lr under very close supervision. My eldest is also lethal with my .223 and has shot severla crows at 100+yds with it . My 8 yr old son is frighteningly accurate with the LR shooting apples and tangerines at 100yds with monotinous regularity. Their sister not to be outdone is also fairly usefull. My youngest who is just 5 was well pleased when he shot a water filled ballon in the summer. I never forced them to participate, almost the contrary they all want to have a go and they shoot more .22 ammo in an hour than I shoot in a year.

I make it fun by filling small water bomb ballons from a cane, they are varrying sixes and colours and explode well so its good fun. (they cost £1 for a pack of 100 in most corner shops)

They have all seen deer, pigeon and rabbits in all states on route to the freezer and do not bat an eyelid, much to their mothers disgust (ex wife!)

D

Two kids, 13 and 9, both girls, live with mum.

both know what I did in the past, and know I got back into stalking and shooting last year - eldest fairly horrified by whole concept so having to go easy with her, youngest loves the thought of it, but she's a daddy's girl anyway :D

So, took both to the ranges for a full bore shoot a couple of weeks ago, youngest lying next to me as a spotter - we've got our own little sniper team going :rofl: eldest sat back reading a book, but gradually becoming increasingly confident.

Gentle chat on the way back in the car, eldest has been exposed to her whole childhood with police and news telling her guns are bad, evil and dangerous - however she commented that there were a dozen people with guns in one place, and nothing bad happened, and she could see they were all very sensible - so, there's hope for her yet :eek:)

Back