Pretty Roe Buck

CFFT

Brand new and ready to go! A pretty and respectable 6 pointer. Not often do I do shoulder mounts to sell but this would make a lovely Christmas present for someone if they are like me who don't shoot but do like Taxidermy :) pm me if intrested Claire.

100_5347.jpg100_5349.jpg100_5350.jpg100_5354.jpg

Brand new and ready to go! A pretty and respectable 6 pointer. Not often do I do shoulder mounts to sell but this would make a lovely Christmas present for someone if they are like me who don't shoot but do like Taxidermy :) pm me if intrested Claire.

View attachment 3374View attachment 3373View attachment 3375View attachment 3376

Hi Claire,

thats a lovely job you've done there on that Roe. Look forward to seeing my Fallow buck when he's ready.

I forgot to ask, should I have salted the cape after skinning out, before I despatched by courier to you?

You had advised me to send it frozen but I could not get the head in my freezer and I gather the salt helps fix the fur and stops slippage?

Also I noticed other guys skinning out their heads with a dorsal cut along top back neck. You advised me not too this, but I wondered why?

Regards
50/50

Hi Claire,

thats a lovely job you've done there on that Roe. Look forward to seeing my Fallow buck when he's ready.
Hello 50/50, thankyou for your compliment, I think he is very pretty -just how Roe are.
Yes your Fallow has been pickled, shaved (x3) and tanned and back in the freezer awaiting the form and the next stages.

I forgot to ask, should I have salted the cape after skinning out, before I despatched by courier to you?
You had advised me to send it frozen but I could not get the head in my freezer and I gather the salt helps fix the fur and stops slippage?
Absolutely, salt does help fix the hair, kill bacteria and puts the cape in a temporary preserved state. But as we discussed because the head was not skinned out I felt better to chance the posting of it unsalted. Reasons being it would have needed to have been hung and salted a good couple times over a couple of days as they sweat (the salt drawing fluid and moisture) something awful and that 'one salt and instant post' would have been a soggy mess and possible disaster.
And the fact the head was still in tact made it seem almost pointless to just salt the neck when most of the bacteria (on a cape) is around the eyes and mouth (as well as bullet entry and exit areas) and so would have been an area unsalted from within.

If it was fully caped out ie head removed and the opportunity to salt it til moisture had gone (cape being still damp with a stiff flexability to it) that would have been fine and safer redards preventing slippage. But equally if it was caped completely out the actual cape could then be frozen (if possible) and posted in own time. My preference out of those two is to freeze it, salt is a pain! Small stuff like Roe, Munty, CWD are easy as you can get away with freezing the head and cape in tact and post, just the big stuff can be a little awkward but never insurmountable :)

Also I noticed other guys skinning out their heads with a dorsal cut along top back neck. You advised me not too this, but I wondered why?

Regards
50/50

It's simply my preference (and possibly some others), it allows me to make only the insissions I want to make and how much of. The result of this is a far better quality of finish on the finished item itself and it means less sewing for me!
Claire :)

50/50 sorry forgot to say thankyou for doing such a good job on caping, was just perfect :cool:

Aw thankyou very much for your kind comments tikk308, Mannchiler_Stu, Ade 30-06 and Albahighlandstalker :)

Back