FLO visit lancashire

andibrains

Just had visit of the lancashire FLO George Stokes for my first FAC. What a decent reasonable guy, one small issue, he wants me to add a few securing bolts to the cabinet to stop a bit of movement. Other than that Ive sailed through, just need to pass the DSC1 test's this weekend and Im sorted!

Very greatful, very quick and nothing like some of the horror stories I had heard!!!

:D:D:D

There are no doubt some horror stories with applications and renewals but I am of the opinion that if the applicant has his house in order as regards his/her application it makes the process a less daunting task. I have no doubts that your FLO did his job but it is your efforts that have made his job easy. Nice one.

Thanks guys, thanks must in some part go to this forum, helped alot in the beginning. He just agreed to all parts with a little justification, few concerns over some of bigger cals having vermin listed. I just explained that part of the stalking rights requires control of vermin and that if Im out shooting deer and come across some vermin I want to be able to deal with it, although a bigger cal maybe overkill it is also alot less likely to ricochet like a .22. No probs! Also have to say that the BDS course, DCS1 in glous has been first class and although I thought it was a bit pricey at first I now view it as real value for money!!!

Just had visit of the lancashire FLO George Stokes for my first FAC. What a decent reasonable guy, one small issue, he wants me to add a few securing bolts to the cabinet to stop a bit of movement. Other than that Ive sailed through, just need to pass the DSC1 test's this weekend and Im sorted!

Very greatful, very quick and nothing like some of the horror stories I had heard!!!

Well thats Lancashire for you they are so accomadating i once needed a variation to my cert when i lived in Lancashire, spoke to the girls in the admin dept they told me to call later that afternoon and it would be ready for me as it needed just to be okd by the ACC and it was when i arrived it was all waiting for me on the desk you cant get better than that they are the best.

Glad to hear that they are on the ball with you. You say "just need to pass the DSC1 test's this weekend and Im sorted!" - Did they make that a condition for you to have your FAC please?

Just had visit of the lancashire FLO George Stokes for my first FAC. What a decent reasonable guy, one small issue, he wants me to add a few securing bolts to the cabinet to stop a bit of movement.

:eek: You mean to say that the cabinet could be moved even slightly :doh: not good in my opinion.

I am also interested in whether they are making the DSC1 a condition :-| ?

The DSC is not a condition as it isnt in terms of the law, however he did say that the law requires you to prove your need for the firearm and he views the DSC1 as part of that.

Brithunter: The cabinet moved a few mill with the FLO's full weight on it, which to be fair to the guy is a bit more than mine. The problem Ive had is no solid walls so all the fixing is into the concrete floor. I did offer to prove to him that due to the yield point of steel and the half ton rated bolts securing it, that the concrete would fail before the cabinet or bolts (I was sad enough to do the analysis!!). He said it would be fine if I just built it out at the back to remove the gap and secured it to the wall. Not a big problem will take me an hour or so.

Ahhh I understand. I didn't want to remove the skirting boards so I mounted them above it. Others I could not do so so built a timber frame to bring the wall out level with the level of the skirting board. These ones are bolted to the concrete floor as well. Due to the timber frame they do not move. I like to have the security sorted before the FEO sees anything.

Pleased to say that not only is the cabinet now sorted (its solid with my rather portly father hanging off it) but I also passed the DCS1 this weekend. Although I did my best to bugger up the shooting test. Something about shooting at a bull targetm took three attempts and even then only just. I am pleased to say I did save some face as when I moved onto the deer target I put all six in a 1 inch group. Lucky deer dont walk round with bullseyes attached to there sides!!!

great news!! last i heard George and the other civilian FEO's may not be around for long with the current cuts. Gotta say all the dealings I had with George were full of advice and based around the practicalities and sorting any problems that may occur. He was always very positive! He did state the DSC1 in Lancs would be a must for deer.

atb

great news!! last i heard George and the other civilian FEO's may not be around for long with the current cuts.

atb

It is far from great news. This will mean slower response times for certificate renewals, grants and variations as police officers will be stretched. The admin trail for a cert is significant and made slicker through FEO's across the country. It may sound like good news eg. "not being checked so thoroughly by nosey FEO's" but this is short-lived and when has it ever been a problem? The risks are now higher, so officers will be more circumspect and procedural in their assessments - this will take longer. The risk of course is that they 'skip a bit' and some ex-con or head case is granted a ticket and goes all rage on the public; not for a ChC's CV that one.
Firearms licensing is the one good opportunity shooters have to 'get on' with the Police and understand how the law fits in with their past time.

SORRY....no i didnt mean great news about George and co. going!! Great news that someone esle had a positive result from George's dealing!! Very worrying news i agree about them not being around perhaps after next April...especially when they are ones who do know about firearms and do try to help people through the system!!

soz for the confusion!!!

atb

Have to agree ToKaS, George has been great seeing him again next week to make sure he is happy with everything. Nice to see a fellow ormskirk resident on here!!

Nice one on passing the DSC1 and for getting the right result from Lancs FLO... :cool:

Just one thing... I'm suprised the FEO passed the cabinet with a gap underneath, our man at GMP said a theif could get a car jack under and crank it off the wall :rolleyes:
So next time you see someone walking down the street with a car jack, they are likely to be gunthieves on the lookout for cabinets mounted off the floor :D

Nice one on passing the DSC1 and for getting the right result from Lancs FLO... :cool:

Just one thing... I'm suprised the FEO passed the cabinet with a gap underneath, our man at GMP said a theif could get a car jack under and crank it off the wall :rolleyes:
So next time you see someone walking down the street with a car jack, they are likely to be gunthieves on the lookout for cabinets mounted off the floor :D

Yep and they could also bring in a jack hammer and take the wall down......................................... point is if they want it bad enough just like the Brinks-Mat and Knightsbridge vaults raids they will get it.

Back