Ultrasonic cleaners

Henry Straker

I'm looking to buy an ultrasonic bath for cleaning brass but they are looking pretty expensive - around the £200 pound mark for a tank 200mm in length. This is stretching my budget a bit too much. Can anyone recommend a good value and efficient unit and where to buy them.

Secondly, the reason I want to get a 200mm internal tank length capacity is to clean a moderator of carbon. If a suitable tank can't be bought, say close to £100, does anyone know of a place that cleans moderators etc. using an ultrasonic bath? I'm based between Skye and the east side of the Scottish Borders so anything north (rather than southern England) would be of more interest to me. Any advice gratefully received.

Well for cleaning the brass all you need is the Maplins one, about 40 quid, add a bottle of Sea Clean and job done.
But it won't do a full size mod, I can get my rimfire mod in the tank, C/F modes I clean at the local agricultural supplies, who just happen to have a large unit in the work shop.

Neil. :)

Second that i got mine from maplins thought it was £30 the ultra 7000,does the job ok but don't overload it i can get about 15x 30.06 cases in the basket at a time,i use 25% white wine vinegar and warm water and a dash of washing up liquid,usually do two full cycles then lift the basket out and rinse straight away if the air gets to them they'll tarnish in seconds,i then chuck them in a solution of bicarbonate of soda to make sure all the acid is neutralised then rinse again, you can see your face in them they're that clean.
Neil.

I have tried a few and I now have one that I am well impressed with. I use it with neat vinegar and I can stand 50 .243 cases up in it and it covers the mouths of the cases without having to lie them down and risk air pockets. I use it for about 5 x 7min runs then rinse the cases in hot soapy water and dry in the oven at 80 degrees. My cases are shiney and like new inside.

The ultrasonic cleaner I purchased is this one here. >>>>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120638380817&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It was on at the time under a make an offer and I offered £55 and he took it.

Having used it I would recommend it.

Not at all mate. It takes about 30-40 minutes and the results are excellent. I have just done another 50 actually and I checked the inside of them and they are really clean and shiney.

I don't see how you can overload it. The ultrasonic effect isnt shared out amongst the 50 cases, it has an equal effect on the cases in the fluid and the results speak for themselves.

Back