View Poll Results: When to load up - ie chamber a round

44. You may not vote on this poll
  • When you get to your stalking ground - ie load magazine, one up the spout, safety on

39 88.64%
  • When you spot a beast and starting to stalk in

4 9.09%
  • At last minute - chamber a round just before taking the shot

1 2.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to load up when stalking

When to load up when stalking

Interested in peoples views. When woodland / farm stalking I tend to laod up when I leave the car and start stalking down the field edges even if I have n't spied a beast. Inevitably I will sling the rifle on occasion to use binoculars etc. but muzzle will be pointing down and forwards.

This is in the guidelines of Hugh Rose and DSC 1 - indeed I recall he even said to laod up and put rifle back in slip if on the hill.

Or should we only load at last minute, ie as part of the process of taking sight on a beast.

I am not sure there is a right way or wrong way.

As far as I am concerned ALL RIFLES ARE ALWAYS LOADED, and thus handling must always keep muzzle pointing in safe direction.

Get there, load up, chamber a round, safety on, always exercise muzzle awareness, combined with relevant safety measures when negotiating obstacles etc. you are then IMHO good to go.

All depends on the terrain I think. For my stalking, which is very easy going, I pop one up the spout as soon as I start, pop safety on and then rifle slung on shoulder. I believe that the highlands can often be different as when I have been it has been practice to pop the magazine in but not chamber a round until the final stages of the stalk. I guess everyone is different.

Get to the place where i am stalking, Mod on, fill the mag, one up the chamber and safety on with the rifle then slung over my shoulder barrel pointing up, doing as Jayb says, practicing muzzle awareness at all times.

I carry my rifle this way as i personally find it easier and quicker to get it from my shoulder if i was to bump a deer and needed a quick shot.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    I suppose it would depend on where you are stalking and if accompanied, experience etc...

When I stalk it is always as soon as we are out of the car, suited and booted, or vails and gloved I load (I have fingerless gloves). If we come to an obsticle, the one without a rifle (Not me in this case) crosses the obsticle first, I will then hand the rifle over, but telling them the state of the rifle, "loaded with safety applied", if we both have rifles, we just pass to each other in this fashion.

It works for us on his shoot, on other stalking outings on different ground I always ask the way they want things doing as it's their "Shoot".

If you were with a complete novice who had never shot a deer before, would you be happy with them incharge of a loaded rifle. Not meaning to be harsh on novice "Stalkers/Shooters", especially if they are using an estate rifle? I check every few steps that my safety is applied even slung on my shoulder. I like all I would hope can tell which is safety on and safety off without looking at it.

An awful lot of factors to consider on this, but if you are stalking with a rifle without one up the spout, how many deer would you not have shot especially in a wood when there is little or no wind, you see a deer, you then have to open, chamber and close the bolt in a second without noise. It's difficult enough to walk through a wood and just release the safety catch, I still use thumb and forefinger for this just incase the click gets heard I have T3's.

Good Poll!!

On the hill - load mag, bolt forward over the rounds (ie empty chamber), rifle in the slip. Out of slip and load fully for the final stalk in (I think this is what they teach on DSC)
    Normally - one up the spout, safety on, rifle on the shoulder. No time for mucking around when woodland or hedgerow stalking when a beast can just as easily step out in front of you.

as soon as i start stalking i put one up the spout and safety on then proceed
    if taking out another stalker then they are loaded ready to go and my chamber is empty untill i feel it is nessecary to load up

Whrn to load up when stalking

Like all of you.
    Out of car, load and chamber, safety on and barrel down.

Ok I always New I was Different

I always like to put one in the chamber after i see something , I don't think I have ever been caught out as i don't like to be rushed . Sounds silly I Know but i think it has now become a bit of a ritual thing like a golfers pre swing
    it allows me to think .

See told you i was different

Like the vast majority of you , I load up after I'm out the car but only after I've put my wellies and the rest of my gear on.