stalking? Damn near swimming in places !

went out this morning with Rob (243Sako) the weather was generally dry, however the recent deluge had left its mark with surface water, running water in places and the makings of a jolly good bog in the lower paddocks :lol: Rob led me through the fields and woods dodging the worse of the swamps and probably making mental notes to himself to swap some Roe for Chinese water deer! :D after a couple of hours of nothing much Rob suddenly stiffened and waved me over, once I got to him I could see a Roe buck standing amongst some fruit trees, bugger! Buck seasons over and the only deer we see is a 'kin buck! :rolleyes: a lesser man would have been ruffled by the cruel turn of events, however Rob suggested we stalk in closer to see if he was alone.Bingo! there, further in were 2 young Does, at this point we had a whispered conference about angles, backstops and overhanging branches. satisfied that if nothing else I was unlikely to shoot him :oops: Rob handed over the rifle and I moved around some brush staying inside the treeline, until I had a clear shot with green all around my target, the bigger of the two Does, up came the scope, and using a handy fence post as a rest the rifle was made to do the bang bit, immediately I reloaded and seeing the first deer kicking its heels in the air on the grass I switched to the smaller of the 2 who was looking distinctly confused as to what big sis was doing in the grass, the second shot brought down that target and I reloaded ready for any follow up. the buck I saw legging it through the trees without a backward look (always a good sign in a survivor!) Rob in the meantime caught a glimpse of mum, also doing a disappearing act. so there you are, 20 secs and it was all over, a good morning had by all :D thanks to Rob (243Sako)

Attachments

• 149247_461340934145_551554145_5312933_6949935_n.jpg
    149247_461340934145_551554145_5312933_6949935_n.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Hi Ken,

I was tempted to bring the hovercraft but we cant shoot deer from a moving vehicle!!:lol: We got there in the end i think most of them are still recovering from the storms!!

Once again congratulations on two nice smooth accurate shots and two deer down!!

All the best

Rob
243Sako

Cracking result kenny well done enjoyed the write up....I was off this evening till its started to pee down 10 minutes before leaving the house

Cracking result kenny well done enjoyed the write up....I was off this evening till its started to pee down 10 minutes before leaving the house
you mean its raining out? oops,haven't looked out the window, the carcass is hanging from the kids swing ...err I mean chilling rack :oops: hopefully it will wash some of the passengers away :D

Well done guys - a real pleasure to hear of your success.

Cracking the 'front crawl' is a real landmark in your stalking career! ;)

Ian

Well done guys - a real pleasure to hear of your success.

Cracking the 'front crawl' is a real landmark in your stalking career! ;)

Ian
Hah! I'm still picking burrs out of my kit from the last crawl you took me on :D

Back