Man killed by bull

People walk through your fields wether they have access or not, no farmer puts a dangerous animal in a field at anytime, due to the fact how do you get it back in. I got beat over by my longhorns last week as they fought when we mixed a few groups together, accidents happen with animals, more people are injured by sheep. I tell people on a daily basis to keep out of the cow fields but they just think you are being awkward, and organised ramblers are the worst and we don,t have any footpaths on the estate.

It doesn`t state wether the gates were signed or not as to the bull being in the field.
I presume that if they were then the farmer has covered his arse.
Anyway, a tragic event. Condolences to the mans family.
basil.

Perhaps they should bring specific laws out in regard keeping bulls out in fields , taking into consideration and age of beast etc and if at a certain age by law they have to be tethered, especially in circumstances where the public has a legal right of access.
No doubt my statement/view may cause difference of opinion with land owners and farming fraternity but something needs to be done to protect the public .
I personally know a farmer who was gored by a bull in a pen who lived after the incedent but he was never the same man as he thought the bull to be docile.

the problem is how far do you take this ,more people are harmed by cows with calves by far than by bulls
so should all cows/calves also be keep inside?

Perhaps in this age of the nanny state stupid people should be prohibited from leaving towns.
What has happened to personal responsibility.
Martin

IM SURE THERE MUST BE A COURSE OR BEST PRACTICE CODE OF CONDUCT TYPE THING WE COULD INVENT AND RUN TO MAKE MONEY OUT OF IT MAYBE ALSO A HOW TO CROSS A FIELD AT NIGHT COURSE , THEN PROB A LEVEL 2 FOLLOW UP , SEEMS TO BE THE ANSWER TO ALL THINGS THESE DAYS , :lol:

Perhaps in this age of the nanny state stupid people should be prohibited from leaving towns.
What has happened to personal responsibility.
Martin
I take your point but what happens were a child is concerned who does not know better and out playing or with his friends where his guardian is not aware of the situation , children take great steps in doing things there parents are not aware of and need the protection of there own negligence.

What now, farmers now can't let their bulls out with the cows in case some moron of a rambler hasn't the sense to stay out of fields with stock?

Stupid is supposed to hurt.

We must be handing the asylum over to the lunatics if there is any serious suggestion that a farmer cannot use his fields for his livestock. OK it is unwise to put any bull in a field through which a footpath runs let alone a dangerous one and there should be warning signs but, as others have said, other cattle can be far more dangerous, especially if there was a dog involved.

If ramblers access farmland without sticking to footpaths then as far as I'm concerned the risk is entirely theirs and any trouble they get into as a result of their trespassing (for that is what it is) is no concern of the landowner however I would not be surprised if the "nanny" state required landowners to have a duty of care towards trespassers.

I also think this might be similar to the case of the Emperor where press reports were far from accurate or comprehensive and we may not know the full story. My concerns were heightened when I saw that AOL were using a photo of a Spanish fighting bull as an illustration for their coverage of this incident.

What now, farmers now can't let their bulls out with the cows in case some moron of a rambler hasn't the sense to stay out of fields with stock?

Stupid is supposed to hurt.

:thumb:

I have just spoken to my father who lives local to where this happened; it seems that the farmer put the bull with a herd of cows in the next field to the one in which the footpath was. The bull then some how got into the field with the footpath.

ATB

Tahr

Last edited:
We must be handing the asylum over to the lunatics if there is any serious suggestion that a farmer cannot use his fields for his livestock. OK it is unwise to put any bull in a field through which a footpath runs let alone a dangerous one and there should be warning signs but, as others have said, other cattle can be far more dangerous, especially if there was a dog involved.

If ramblers access farmland without sticking to footpaths then as far as I'm concerned the risk is entirely theirs and any trouble they get into as a result of their trespassing (for that is what it is) is no concern of the landowner however I would not be surprised if the "nanny" state required landowners to have a duty of care towards trespassers.

I also think this might be similar to the case of the Emperor where press reports were far from accurate or comprehensive and we may not know the full story. My concerns were heightened when I saw that AOL were using a photo of a Spanish fighting bull as an illustration for their coverage of this incident.

That statement isnt so The law is quite clear that owners and occupiers of land need to take as such care as reasonably prevent injury to anyone irrespective of them legally being there or not.

You all have a short memory look what steps that we as stalkers have to do to prevent unlawful access and possible injury should such occur to high seats or any structure etc

The law says you cannot place a dangerous structure or object and leave it in the countryside as such is negligent and you can bet your life a smart arsed lawyer would jump on the case of a dangerous animal in a field where the public has access.
Any bets anyone.

Stu

:thumb:

I have just spoken to my father who lives local to where this happened; it seems that the farmer put the bull with a herd of cows in the next field to the one in which the footpath was. The bull then some how got into the field with the footpath.

ATB

Tahr
O dear it looks like the stockproof fence wasnt sufficient to contain the bull , maybe with hindsight the farmer should have had it tethered:eek:

How to protect the public, issue all members with a full quotion of common sense, then teach them to read, then teach them to have respect for the land that is in use for agriculture, either livestock or arable, then suggest they go find somewhere else to ramble.

I dont go near cows in any field. I find them very inquisitive, i was followed by a small group that seemed to want to get closer and closer. There speed increased, mine did not. I was aware that if they carried on at their pace they would soon be right behind me or stomping over the top of me. I put them off using what i had to hand. It was not a frightening experience by any stretch of the imagination, but one that could be viewed as potentially dangerous, if they got too excited which i think they were about too.That is why i avoid them as much as possible. Regards, Ed.

My god what is the world coming to,people need to take responsibility for their actions, as for a stock proof fence it would need to be some fence to stop a determined bull, when I was in my teens and stupid [well more stupid than now]
I walked across a field in which there was a bull that was known to be aggressive, when he charged I jumped over a dry stone wall surrounding the field thinking I was save the bull just put his shoulder to the wall and pushed it flat, luckily
there was a wood where I jumped over and I was able to move quicker amongst the trees than he could,he did not give up easily head down following my sent through the trees like a dog.

How often does this happen???

Most people [i would hope] especially children are scared of cattle especially bulls, there are plenty urban myth of "don't wear a red jacket" etc.

People have to be accountable for their own actions.

This is indeed tragic but is an accident, no doubt there will be some new legislation brought out and the farmer will have a "no win, no fee" lawyer chasing him!!!!

Last week I had a group of 30 odd photographers climb over 2 lots of red tape and pass 3 danger signs and stand under a tree to photograph the climber above cutting limbs, which would insidently have squashed them if they had not been so obvious in numbers!!!!!
How do you mitigate for stupidity?????

How to protect the public, issue all members with a full quotion of common sense, then teach them to read, then teach them to have respect for the land that is in use for agriculture, either livestock or arable, then suggest they go find somewhere else to ramble.

Now that is common sense.

The subject of bulls and running a stock farm is something I know a little about.

No stock fence will contain a bull who wants to break out. Period. The other unfortunate fact is that a bull which was entirely placid for it's entire life can turn terrorist without warning.

We had a Charolais bull here for ten years, just had to put him away last month. He was the easiest bull I have ever worked with, a complete gentleman. However, I never ever turned my back on him, you just don't know with a bull.

Ramblers and the like would be well advised to say off farmland containing large livestock. Cattle, suckler cows, and horses can all be lethal. Suckler cows in particular take great exception to you coming between them and their calves.

That statement isnt so The law is quite clear that owners and occupiers of land need to take as such care as reasonably prevent injury to anyone irrespective of them legally being there or not.

You all have a short memory look what steps that we as stalkers have to do to prevent unlawful access and possible injury should such occur to high seats or any structure etc

The law says you cannot place a dangerous structure or object and leave it in the countryside as such is negligent and you can bet your life a smart arsed lawyer would jump on the case of a dangerous animal in a field where the public has access.
Any bets anyone.

Stu

Fair enough, you'll see from my post that I thought that might be the case. It's a bit like having a duty of care to the burglar who is clearing you out. As I said as far as I am concerned I can't get too bothered with people breaking the law getting hurt but I accept that the law is different - it shouldn't be!

Back