Lifespan of reloading components

Dovebob

All,

I've just bought some secondhand reloading equipment. Included in the boxes of stuff is about three quarters of a tub of Vit 165 and some primers.

The powder is dated 2006. I don't know how old the primers are, but they may be similar age.

The date is printed quite prominently on the side of the powder tub. This made me wonder whether it goes off and if so, to what effect. Its only four years old, so by no means ancient. However, I'm wondering if I'd be better off buying some fresh stuff.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,

If its in a sealed container and smells OK should be fine. I am not sure what the official Use by date is but I know people who have powder much older than that and it is just fine. I expect some of my own stocks are of a similar age and have not experienced any problems.

D

Personally I wouldn't use a second hand tub of powder that has been opened, you can never be 100% sure it is what it says on the tin or that it hasn't been contaminated in some way. It makes good fertilizer for the garden though! :D

Thanks for the replies on this.

I was reminded of the DSC 1 question about what to do if you get given some home loads. I guess the same rules apply to powder from an unconfirmed source.

Cheers,

Bob

Personally I wouldn't use a second hand tub of powder that has been opened, you can never be 100% sure it is what it says on the tin or that it hasn't been contaminated in some way. It makes good fertilizer for the garden though! :D

+1 to csl's comment. I got an opened tub of powder from a (late) friend, and loaded up some 243 with a charge I had used before. The first on wet off with a hell of a bang, very difficult to open the bolt, no sign of the primer and a badly mis-shapen base to the case. Goodness knows what was in the tub, but it certainly wasn't "what it says on the tin". Needless to say, the rest went on the garden.

Andrew

I've no direct experience of this but have heard it said that primers basically last for ever. When you think of it all that mil surplus ammo that people are shooting works just fine and is probably many 10s of years old. The primers in it are at least that old. I wouldn't be using the powder but if you know what the primers are and they look ok then I'd load them up.

I've no direct experience of this but have heard it said that primers basically last for ever. When you think of it all that mil surplus ammo that people are shooting works just fine and is probably many 10s of years old. The primers in it are at least that old. I wouldn't be using the powder but if you know what the primers are and they look ok then I'd load them up.

They dont as the chemical composition deteriates over time as well also the mere fact of handling primers can cause fast decomposition when the come into contact with natural substances eminating from skin pores etc. Thats why
its important not to touch them with your fingers.

Back