Savage Distribution in the UK?

Eric the Red

Does anyone know what's happening here?

I understand that Garlands have been dropped (I'm getting no response from them on e-mail to confirm or deny) and that a new distributor is in place - but I don't know who it is, nor when the next batch of rifles will be available.

Does anyone know what's happening here?

I understand that Garlands have been dropped (I'm getting no response from them on e-mail to confirm or deny) and that a new distributor is in place - but I don't know who it is, nor when the next batch of rifles will be available.
Give them a bell 01827 383300

How do Savage compare these days? I know the guys across the pond talk quite highly of them but my only experience, and it is going back a few years and refers to 'whole package' type set-ups they were marketing at the time, was that they were the worst thing I had ever seen or shot and that is taking into account everything about them. Proper shite without a good point to be found. I once saw one get the bolt removed and the rest of it hurled down the range in frustration, thats a true story, it travelled about 25m which I thought was quite impressive! If you had thrown two more rifles you would have probably got a better group than they were shooting!! JC

Last edited:
How do Savage compare these days? I know the guys across the pond talk quite highly of them but my only experience, and it is going back a few years and refers to 'whole package' type set-ups they were marketing at the time, was that they were the worst thing I had ever seen or shot and that is taking into account everything about them. Proper shite without a good point to be found. I once saw one get the bolt removed and the rest of it hurled down the range in frustration, thats a true story, it travelled about 25m which I thought was quite impressive! If you had thrown two more rifles you would have probably got a better group than they were shooting!! JC

JC, I think since the new chap has been at the top, they've sorted themselves out somewhat. Reviews in the last few years indicate that they are extremely shootable rifles now and have led the market in certain aspects (Accutrigger etc.). Forums do still speak of the odd 'Friday afternoon' gun, but most manufacturers have those - whether they admit it or not! They need to modernise their Customer Service, but I'm sure that's in train. I'm certainly prepared to give them a go - if I can lay my hands on one....Still no joy from Garlands - I'll try Edgar Bros - thanks for the HU, bbrc - and post what I find.

Try Fox Firearms, 0161 430 8278. Got my Savage from him a few years ago and think he still im ports them to order.

How do Savage compare these days?

Bloody well is the short answer! Look at the top level full bore shooting competitions and there are a number used, many in pretty much stock format. If they could do the model 12 heavy barrel slightly lighter (to be comparable with Sako etc) I would have one in a hearbeat. You can also have two or more calibres in one rifle, as the barrels are very easy to interchange.

Back