Thread: to crimp or not to crimp

to crimp or not to crimp

have been reloading for about a year know but never used a bullet with a cannelure
    so i want too pick the brains of the more experianced out there, are there any advantages / disadvantages of crimping your rounds ?

I,m sure this one has been done , use the search facility ..Happy reading

you don't have to have a bullet with a groove to crimp. And in short - a lot of people don't see the affects, but most who've done it will agree it evens out charge variations and brings the variations in muzzle velocity right down. If using a chrony you'll see all shots are very very close in MV - like about 10fps. Much closer then without. That's one step in many for accuracy.

Also, people like to crimp with heavy kickers because there's a danger of the bullets being pushed into the cases further if ou don't
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

If you use a Lee Factory Crimp Die you don't need a cannelure. With other, conventional dies, you do. The Lee Dies are inexpensive and worth an experiment. I am a big supporter of crimping. Use the search engine. You'll see this discussion in spades...~Muir

thanks for the info, ill have to get a crimping die and give it a go