Buying an action

harrygrey382

What are the legalities of buying an action? It is unchambered so you can't have a slot for it, but I'd guess it would have some kind of restriction... Do you need any old empty slot on your ticket for a CF? I assume you do for a barrel, but how does it work with actions?

Also, say I was to find (big if maybe) a husqvarana 1640 action and have it sent - I believe they seriel number their rifles on the barrel in sweden - would this get the cops in a serious muddle?

What are the legalities of buying an action? It is unchambered so you can't have a slot for it, but I'd guess it would have some kind of restriction... Do you need any old empty slot on your ticket for a CF? I assume you do for a barrel, but how does it work with actions?

Also, say I was to find (big if maybe) a husqvarana 1640 action and have it sent - I believe they seriel number their rifles on the barrel in sweden - would this get the cops in a serious muddle?

Harry, Last christmas I did a stupid thing (not unusal you may very well say) my bolt had come uncocked and at stupid o'clock on a very cold morning, while sitting in my high-seat, i took off my gloves and tried to re-cock it. Twang it went, as all the small and important bits spread themselves over a seemingly large part of Worcestershire.

So I, shamefacedly, took what I could find of my bolt to Lew Potter for him to sort out. While talking to him on the phone first, he told me to make sure I brought my FAC as the bolt itself was classed as a firearm. So i would think the police would need to sign off on you having an action, even if it were unchambered. But your FEO should be able to tell you.

Atb, ft

Harry, Last christmas I did a stupid thing (not unusal you may very well say) my bolt had come uncocked and at stupid o'clock on a very cold morning, while sitting in my high-seat, i took off my gloves and tried to re-cock it. Twang it went, as all the small and important bits spread themselves over a seemingly large part of Worcestershire.

So I, shamefacedly, took what I could find of my bolt to Lew Potter for him to sort out. While talking to him on the phone first, he told me to make sure I brought my FAC as the bolt itself was classed as a firearm. So i would think the police would need to sign off on you having an action, even if it were unchambered. But your FEO should be able to tell you.

Atb, ft

I doubt it mate ! You don't know our feo , I guarantee there will be some kind of drama or balls up !

Harry will know what I mean !

Cheers lee

yep I do... I called the police earlier but they referred me to old mate. Trying not to talk to him at the moment until my papers are in. I'll take him by suprise!

Anyone got experience of buying an action on its own?

Have 2 slots, one for 6.5 x 55 & 9.3 x 62. Bought Mauser MO3 in 9.3 x 62. Entered on FAC.

Year later filled second slot with MO3 6.5 x 55 barrel. Entered on FAC as barrel.

Year later bought synthetic stock and new bolt to "complete" the 6.5 x 55. RFD had no problem selling as he has done this before. Phone call in shop to FLO and "don't bother sending FAC in for reprint".

At no point did I have more parts than required for my slots.

The stock/action/bolt are not serialed in any way.

Stan

Year later bought synthetic stock and new bolt to "complete" the 6.5 x 55.
are you saying the bolt is the action? So you had the barrel, then added the action? I can see this being ok. But what if you did it the other way round? And could you buy an action without an available slot?

Harry sorry to say this but any pressure bearing componant needs authorisation :rolleyes:. The real sticky bit comes with a new unproofed action. One cannot proof without a barrel but it's an offence to sell an unproved action as it is barrel. The law is a complete mess about this!

Harry sorry to say this but any pressure bearing componant needs authorisation :rolleyes:. The real sticky bit comes with a new unproofed action. One cannot proof without a barrel but it's an offence to sell an unproved action as it is barrel. The law is a complete mess about this!
I thought you'd know about this one. So once I have my slot, and if I want to buy a bare HVA 1640 action from Sweden, what's going to happen? They have no serial number... will the cops throw a wobly, and how will they recover? Get some ham fisted smithy to whack it with a few number stamps? It would have Swedish proof marks would it not though? Or are they no good in england? And if the selling was done in sweden, how's the offence going to pan out?

Ahhh Harry unless you collect it in person then the person this side doing the transfer would likely be committing the offence. It's all nonsense of course but it's enshrined in our proof laws.

BUT if the action is already proofed in Sweden and if I remember correctly they are a member of the CIP group then the proof marks are valid. If it has no markings then you in that grey mire of murky waters :rolleyes:. Oh and it does not require proof until it's offered for sale. This one also get converluted as now they are saying that they cannot sell you an unfinished barrel but how does one proof an unfinished barrel? It's only the proof house worried about lost revenue!

As you know I have been going through this due to this re-barreling but where there is a will there is a way and one can navigate through the maze ;) However I am always careful that there is nothing that PC Plod can jump on me for. One reason the current .280 project has taken months to get off the ground. Covering all the bases with the licensing people.

if someone is building it for you ,have the parts sent straight to them ,then you only need a slot for the finished rifle

Some like to do the workthemselves and despite what the Police think it's not illegal to work on your own guns.

yep I'd be doing it myself. Partly to keep costs down (it wouldn't be an option if I had to pay a smith to do all the work), and partly for the immense satisfaction of building my own rifle

ok mate i wasnt sure as i didnt spot that in your posts
,so does the bolt count as part of the action (fac slot wize)?

harrygrey382,

I would think it wise to start with a slot on an FAC and then start to source "bits". At some point you might be in the position to have a "firearm" but you are covered.

Now, if in the "gathering" of these parts you come upon a problem then you have done no wrong. Your local RFD may be amenable but can't source, yet another source has but will only do face to face or RFD. Your choice.

Stan

Back