Deer Management/Stalking Lit

Roe

I'm currently on starting my literature review, and have come to a first hurdle already!

I need a controversial topic on deer, in which I can find plenty of reading about (journals) to compare and reference people's opinions on.
Any Ideas??

Cheers,
Jonny

How about extending / changing seasons?

Not sure how much literature there is on it but there is a lot of opinion.

Or even just the actual need to manage deer number in the first place, that would mean that you can open it to the opinion of people outside the stalking community and get a much bigger data set.

Hi Roe,

A few off the cuff.

Migratory patterns of X, non-native species vs. natives and factors effecting migratory patterns such as climate change, "freak" weather events etc. and relationship with Road Traffic Accidents.

Take a negative view, e.g. League against Cruel Sports resistance to deer management via human intervention and flip it on its head using keep opinion leaders opinions, PhD theses and scientific papers. Combine that with a social view, and maybe a critical appraisal. For example it could be that Joe public agree with the view of the league, however, the practicalities of the matter, such as having natural predators may not be constant with modern living and therefore in the interest of animal welfare, human interventions is the only way....for example.

I would recommend you get a few possible then bounce it off your supervisor/lecturer.

Good luck.

I'm currently on starting my literature review, and have come to a first hurdle already!

I need a controversial topic on deer, in which I can find plenty of reading about (journals) to compare and reference people's opinions on.
Any Ideas??

Cheers,
Jonny
Head shots. :scared:
basil.

Another good topic there, it's looking good! i like that turn the argument round.

Cheers

"Deer", the journal of the BDS, is an excellent source of easy to read scientific articles. They would be a good place to start looking for your research gap.

No you can join the BDS which is about thirty quid for a student. Your other option is to contact them directly and explain that it is for non-profit research and offer them full access to your finished thesis.

I think the league against shooting sports could be a good one, there was a thred recently. The interesting thing is it was set up by the RSPCA and they dont actively cull deer. News has come out that the welfare of the deer has been suffering as a result of this management practice. Would link nicely to the need for human intervention. I also believe they brought the BDS in to compile a report on deer welfare in the sanctuary.

Sorry just thought of something else, I read an article recently that suggested the genes responsible for antler growth were more linked to the does/hinds than the the stags/bucks in terms of breeding. If true that would suggest that culling beasts with malformed or poor antlers to ensure quality of trophies in the future is actually a flawed system. I cant remeber where the article was though. Sorry

Cheers, I will give them a call and see what I can get. Just bought the recent journal and another book of the site about 20 minutes ago....

Any Ideas??

Cheers,
Jonny

Jonny

If you would like a controversial topic on deer, pick one of these:

• "The primary factor determining antler size in roe bucks is genetics" vs "The primary factor determining antler size in roe bucks is nutrition"
  • "The principles of muntjac management are simple - if it's brown, it's down" vs "The principles of muntjac management are simple - they should follow the standards applied to any other deer species"
  • "shooting heavily pregnant roe does is unethical" vs "shooting heavily pregnant muntjac does is ethical"

If you come to a conclusion, please share it with us ;)

willie_gunn

Something that I would like to investigate is the changing attitude towards deer management.

When I was starting out as a professional stalker in the early '90s the atmosphere seemed to be that we were turning a corner, the early pioneers (Prior, Courtier, GKW, Rose, Cubby, Speed, deNalik, Oakman et al) were geting older, we respected them but were ready to move forward. A lot of us aspired to work for the FC or RDC. Organisations like SNH, NT, RSPB, Woodland Trust leaned heavily towards conservation and preservation and tended to avoid the issue of deer management. Stag hunting was important locally.

My generation have now had twenty years of shooting more and more deer and advancing the standards in most areas (those of us that aspired to high standards that is, the cowboys are still cowboys) but rather than being complimented for this we are told we didn't do enough. Deer are now public enemy number one, its our fault that speeding motorists hit our deer on rural roads? Deer are considered as vermin now, ok, not technically but certainly by implication.

JC

Last edited:

Any Ideas??

Cheers,
Jonny

Texas Heart Shots

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58585

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/texas_heart_shot_hunting/

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting_tips/shot_placement/index3.html

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1885505&fpart=1

These just came up on google with out much effort of a search,
sure you could find a few more or even ask the same question on here in general discussion :D

ATB

JC275 about 2 years ago we went ot a deer event it was some York uni research into that very subject I have never found the results published Dr piren White was heading the group and Zoe Austin now a Dr was writing it up if anyone has seen the work published let us know it wes a study into the public perseption of deer.
Roe I have 10years of back copies of Deer if you can get them from near York.pm me if you are interested

JC275 about 2 years ago we went ot a deer event it was some York uni research into that very subject I have never found the results published Dr piren White was heading the group and Zoe Austin now a Dr was writing it up if anyone has seen the work published let us know it wes a study into the public perseption of deer.
Roe I have 10years of back copies of Deer if you can get them from near York.pm me if you are interested

Was it this?

Economic Impacts of Wild Deer in East England - Useful Information

willie_gunn

Any Ideas??

Cheers,
Jonny

The one that has the most debate has to be the hunting of deer with hounds. Plenty of stuff to read and about as wide a cross section of opinion as you are likely to get on any sporting subject.

Back