Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've gone hi tec and bought a range finder

I've gone hi tec and bought a range finder

Hi All,

Just thought I would share that I have bought a range finder. I was out in the Texas last week and went to Cabelas to kill a bit of time. I wondered over to the optics counter where the gentleman asked if he could help. With that I said could I have a look at your range finders, he then pulled the lot out and started from the cheapest and worked his way up. when we got to the Leupold RX-1000 TBR that was it the rest were not quite as good. Yes they all told you the distance from the target but the red LED display was awesome, he also said it can do a lot of wizardary with angles and ballistics but being easily pleased with the red LED that was it. Then the price I wasn't too sure until he knocked $50 off to sweeten the deal, needless to say I was happy even more so when I was online seeing if it was a good deal compared to UK I saved roughly 120. I now need to read the intruction manual

Took it out on Tuesday just to see how my judging distance was with the markers I have out and it turns out I am a couple of meters out (usually short)

Thanks for your time

Hi mate, I just took delivery of a laser range finder a few days ago. I had considered one for ages but it was one of those luxuries that I always managed without. Never the less I took the plunge when I saw Amazon were doing a Bushnel Trophy with 25% off............Well what a revelation...........I discovered my rifle was zeroed 1'' high at 80 yards, I thought it was 1'' high at 100 yards. Also that a nice little doe I had shot at '200 yards' was infact 168 yards. Now have the rifle properly zeroed at a correct distance and can laser a beast properly before deciding to shoot. A well worth while investment and inspires confidence.

I was introduced to a range finder in the Leica binos. After years of depending upon the flat shooting properties of the modern rifles - and judging ranges by the seat of my pants - it was an eye-opener to be reminded that changes of light and atmosphere can radically change the perception of distance.

It's not unusual in this area to go out in winter light and see something which looks further off than it really is, and I've often paced out distances to deer which have been shot deliberately high in the chest - and been hit on the point of aim and NOT where the bullet was supposed to fall, only to find that the distance was not so far after all.

Since using those Leicas I got myself into a bit of an itch, and I gradually convinced myself that doing without this and that was worth it - so I finally got them ! The 8X42 Geovid. It's a cracking glass and with the absolute range finding I can now plot exactly where I should place the shot according to distance now that I have plotted the fall of my .308.
    (I should say, before someone jumps to clout me round the ear, that this buit of technology does NOT substitute for stalking ot taking longer than sensible shots).
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

Ah, a visit to cabelas that's on my wish list

Quote Originally Posted by Taystalker View Post
    Ah, a visit to cabelas that's on my wish list
    It's well worth the trip I went to the one in Fort Worth Texas, Try the Elk sandwich

RF is a great bit of kit i use mine more when i use the .243 for the longer range varminting stuff but i practice ranging stuff with just you eye then get true range with the RF , with practice you can get quite good at guestermating ranges ....neil

Don't get to relying on it too much. Rangefinders are difficult to use in many areas: especially over flat terrain as the reticle is not always pointing in the same place of the laser. I've shot my laser range finder at a prairiedog that was well under 150 yards and had it register well in excess of 250M. The laser was hitting a spot well beyond what I was focusing on. It only takes a couple of degrees of error to raise Cain with your shot on flat ground. Mapping out your distances is a good idea. Grabbing a range finder when you see a deer is silly. I make use of a trajectory window so I don't worry about an exact range when it comes to deer under 300 yards and, for small game, it's usually an after thought. ("How far was that shot??") In any event, heavy reliance on a rangefinder will dull the senses. Use it sparingly! JMHO. ~Muir

I agree Muir - with me it's a bit like a camera - I tend to forget I have it with me, but when I'm lying or sitting for a while, spying the ground, the thought occurrs.

I also agree on the absolute necessity to hit the object with the laser and not slip past it - otherwise the reading is rubbish.

In the Leicas binos you place an empty red square on the object and it's fairly easy to use.

The fact is that for all of my working years I never had such a fine set of binos - never mind a rangefinder incorporated. The 'engine room' of a beast gives quite a lot of killing ground to shoot into with the flat-shooting modern rifles, but when my eyes were sharp, headshots on crows, using the 'V' sight with the old single shot BSA .22 Lr were commonplace for me on a calm day. It's a case of just getting to know the rifle and cartridge combo and how high to hold. I used to reckon on holding 4" high at 100 yards with the high velocity rounds, and got used to the puff of backblow gas that fanned my cheek from the old bolt. NOT to be recommended.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

Mil-dots will solve the problem at much lower price, and you also save money on the Nintendo DS, as you get your brain work-out in a much more pleasant environment and truly under pressure Unless the maths are off, you also don't run the risk of mis-ranging.

I am thinking of getting a pair of bino's with mil-dot reticles, I know Leupold makes them. This will allow me to sit and range without having to worry about using my scope, and are available for around US $400. Pretty nifty bit of kit methinks..

Hmmm I brought a scope with a Mil-Dot reticle to see what the fuss was about and cannot really see what the it is really about. The scope is a Falcon Menace CSS 7.5x56 and the reticle I find cluttered so it now sits upon a rifle I tend to use on the range. If the oppertunity arises I may use it on a troublesome fox and maybe a Highseat Roe or Muntjac but general stalking the scope is too big and cumbersome for little gain. I did use one of the dots to take a rabbit at about 150 paces but it was just a point to use and the duplex could have been used the same way. I had the scope on my bunny basher for about 7 months and providing you had a steady rest it was OK but for free-hand shootin it was pretty useless. Far too cumbersome.

After playing with it some I can say that I would not recommend Falcon Optics to anyone. The scope has what I would consider a fault (what appears to be flakes of pain or anodising on the glass etched reticle) and contacted Falcon about it to be basically told it's a cheap scope and not worth sorting out. So it would appear that Falcon have a different idea of Cheap to me and also different ideas on customer service and quality.

As for a range finder well there are other things higher on the want/need list before a range finder.