Registering a Quad for Agricultural use on a Q Plate

geoffrey

I have just registered a quad for agricultural use, so i thought i would let you know how i went about it, first go to the link below and decide what applies to you, i went for the full lighting kit including fog and hazard lights made up of parts from ebay.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/cyclingandmotorcycling/agriculturalquadbikes

Then i insured the bike with the NFU TPFT any driver £150 the policy just had the frame number on it,
Ring DVLA and ask for form V55/5 with guidance notes to be sent to you, note that a lot of the questions will not apply to you so just leave them blank.

Fill out the form and send it to your local DVLA office with a cheque for £55 your Passport or Driving licence, Insurance Certificate, and utility bill,

After a few days you will receive a letter asking you to attend the local DVLA office so that they can inspect the Quad

At the inspection they are only interested in checking the frame ,and engine number if it has one, mine did not

A few days later you will receive a form with your registration number on it and your free road tax disc,

take this form to your local motor factor with some identity and get your number plate made up,

Put both number plate and tax disc on the Quad and you are ready to go

The regisration document will turn up in due course

Hope this is of use to someone,

regards geoff

Last edited:
Geoff

Thanks for the run thru. I'm just about to do the same same as it will save having to trailer the quad between the farms.

Just one question. Are you restricted to the same mileage limitation rules as per ordinary agricultural registered vehicles?

Last edited:
Hi Doc H

yes you are restricted the same as an ordinary agricultural vehicle, but if you intend going far use the trailer. if you have any queries with the form give dvla a ring, i did and a very helpful chap went through it question by question.

regards geoff

Geoff

many thanks. 99.99% of the time we're in under the mileage retriction. But good to know when that 0.01% happens to come around.

Once again Stalking Directory comes up trumps ! this is exactly the information i needed ! Thank you Geoffrey !

After talking to my local agricultural dealer about this very thing earlier this year I think you will find it is now much more difficult, if not impossible on a used quad.

Neil. :)

Not more difficult realy you don't need lighting kit to register for agri use now jut mirror and horn. Can't use it in dark without lights though you just need to contact the importer or dealer you got the quad off and get a proof of year of manufacture. ( usually £50) and send it to dvla with form and a age related number is issued

Honda did year of manufacture letter for free for me.
And you can call into any main licensing department with the correct documents and come out with registration number tax disk and letter enabling you to get number plates made before log book (v5)arrives in post.
Had this to do as some person decided to remove my new quad and not pay me for it :eek:

Geoff

many thanks. 99.99% of the time we're in under the mileage retriction. But good to know when that 0.01% happens to come around.
What is the mileage limit on it. Our quad is road registered but we just go where ever on it

Would you say it's worth doing my Honda dealer asked me if I wanted it road registered even though I've not got a license to drive it's already road approved it a Honda foreman 500FM2 just to see if it's worth doing

Would you say it's worth doing my Honda dealer asked me if I wanted it road registered even though I've not got a license to drive it's already road approved it a Honda foreman 500FM2 just to see if it's worth doing
Definitely worth doing. It will add value to the bike should you ever decide to sell it. They only require a car licence to drive them on the road.

Cheers for getting back to us Al get it done just wasn't sure
Mine is road registered but I never have the lights or that on it. I just have to keep it sorned with the DVLA. If it was me I'd be doing it for sure as it turns into a nightmare to do if they aren't done when brand new.

Definitely worth doing. It will add value to the bike should you ever decide to sell it. They only require a car licence to drive them on the road.

Do they even need a car licence?
Know i was bought me 1st as a YT boy as i was too young to drive, but it wasnae road legal.

Defo do it esp if he's not going to charge u, usually costs about 3-500 by time u put lights on and the test thingy.
To get a number plate u will have to insure it thou, dunno if u usually have it insured?

Do they even need a car licence?
Know i was bought me 1st as a YT boy as i was too young to drive, but it wasnae road legal.

Defo do it esp if he's not going to charge u, usually costs about 3-500 by time u put lights on and the test thingy.
To get a number plate u will have to insure it thou, dunno if u usually have it insured?
Yes I am pretty sure you need a car license to drive a quad on the road. If it is registered with the DVLA you will get a registration document through just the same as you do with a car etc. I have the road kit for mine but I've never fitted it as it would be destroyed in no time and as you said the road kits are not that cheap. Mine is registered as an agricultural vehicle so it doesn't require an m.o.t. You used to have to display a tax disc which being an agri vehicle was nil but that is no longer required either. I might phone NFU and see about insuring it for road use now this thread has got me thinking.

The limit of use on the road is 1.5km. So not a great deal really. I'm not convinced many drivers of agricultural vehicles stick very rigidly to that. I often wonder if those tractors you get stuck behind for miles are fully registered or agricultural registered.

I have to get my quad about 6 miles to the land I use it on mostly, so I looked at having an agricultural registered one and with the 1.5km restriction that wasn't really an option. I looked at having it fully registered and it comes under car tax rules then. So you end up paying something like £120pa. Eventually the trailer won and that's how it travels on the road. Not really saving the planet, I suppose, but there it is.

The limit of use on the road is 1.5km. So not a great deal really. I'm not convinced many drivers of agricultural vehicles stick very rigidly to that..

While there is a 1.5 km limit on ATV's a quads on a Q plate, there is no such limit on agric vehicle registered in the normal way.

There are limits to speed tractor and the like can travel - 40kph in most circumstance but 50 kph if tractor I fitted with suspension (such as JCB Fasttrack) and meet braking requirements.
There are also limits on using red diesel on the road - in a nutshell must be for agric use, hauling agric produce (within a set limited distance), hedgecutting or snow clearing. So a plant hire contractor using a tractor and low loader to move his digger should be using normal road diesel

I'm surprised they tax ur qusd if no insurance.
When we 1st bought them had a nightmare trying to insure them with no reg plate and dVLA wouldnae register them with no insurance.
For some reason insurance company werenae happy taking chasis number and only gave usa short time to get oplate on or they started to get excited. Was a real chicken and egg thing.
Lot easier now when change bikes as got insurance policy in place.
Insurance is not cheap and very few companies will insure a quad on its own, even NFU, want to to move all ur policies to them befor they'll quiote

Must admit not sure on all this Q olate stuff, always just a normal number plate, i've seen me doing decent mileages on the road, when my van broke down a few years ago was driving 8+ miles to the job on the quad with all my tools and peice strapped on, was bloody miserable it rained every bloody day and stuck out eating soogy sandwiches and no radio.

If u do a quad ticket does that cover u for road use? The way a tractor licence does. Or is it just H&S nonesense.

Was going to say a lot of grey areas with all this agri licence/red diesel, but probably more a case of a lot of blind eyes turned or lack of knowledge.
Even the red deisel thing is not that straight forward, if ur an agri contractor moving a digger to do agri work u may get away with red as still classed as agri and part of the job.

I was aware of the limitations of red diesel on the road. But I was of the opinion that quads registered as agricultural vehicles were limited to 1.5km whatever their fuel. Is this not so then?

Back