Which moderator?

270Buck

I have a Tikka T3 lite .270, which is factory threaded. I want to get a moderator and I have heard mixed reviews.

I like the idea of the mod’s that you can take apart and clean,

Budget, up to £300.

Can anyone give their recommendations?

Kind regards,

r.atkinson

I have had nothing but Wildcats, bought my first in 2007 and have had no problens with them. I believe the first batch of them had problems.

I have the same rifle and have a Wildcat fitted. I have no problems or complaints about the wildcats, well within your budget.

Your question will produce many different answers, if I had a Northstar/Pes/Ase Ultra, I'm sure I'd be recommending them.

Good luck with your search......

TJ

I have had PES and ASE Jetz's, both very good.

I am going to say this, Roedale Delta. Bloody amazing. Half the weight of the others. Noise reduction seems to be on a par with the ASE to my ears, my buddy reckons the Roedale is quieter. I find it hard to say which. You would need scientific measuring kit to tell really.

I will do a comparison report shortly. That reduction in weight makes a huge difference when it is hung 20" out on the end of a barrel.

I own a T8, which is effective but very heavy. If I was buying a new one I would look at;

http://www.roedaleprecision.com/epages/schalldaempfer.htm

http://www.thirdeyetactical.com/thirdeye_website_015.htm (which give you the option of a muzzle can or reflex)

http://www.donaldson-guns.co.uk/Rifles/a-tec-sound-moderator.html

http://www.gunmart.net/accessories_review/j-tec_ranger_fullbore_moderator/

They are all less than a third the weight of the T8. And maybe only 4 or 5 decibels less reduction in peak noise than the T8. The third eye and the roedale can be fitted with stainless blast baffles to stop the cutting which can occur in some calibres.

ft

Finnbear, the nice thing about the Delta is that one could order a moderator made for purpose.
I have three on my rifles at the moment.
A stainless 5 baffle bead blasted on my 223. This one would also take up 6.5-284, ultra sturdy. Weight 480 grams.

On my main deer rifle a sako 308 I have an all aluminium 5 baffle mod. This was a early test example and weighs 175 grams!!!!
Absolute fantastic handling rifle with this mod on. The newer Aluminium mods weigh a bit under 200 grams. I have shot about
80 rounds through that mod and checked the first baffle this afternoon, no wear. I presume it will take a few years before
the wear on the aluminium baffles could maybe become an issue, but then one can buy single baffles to replace.

On my 243 light stalking doe rifle, i have a "Light" delta 5 which is all aluminium except the first two baffles which are in stainless.
This compromise moderator weighs 280 grams.
All components can be exchanged. Only thing one must watch out for is that one doesn't use small holed baffles on a large cal rifle.
Delta have only two main sizes, up to 6.5mm and up to 9.3mm. Roedale have made some "specials" for up to 458 win mag.

Of all moderators I think the Delta range is the most flexible and ultra reliable, no messing with delrin rings and if one buys a new
rifle with a different thread one can order a new rear end with the new thread.
The all steel parkerised mods start at 260 Euro as far as i remember.

Top, "Light" 280 grams, mid "Ultralight" ~ 200grams, bottom Stainless bead blasted 480 grams.
DSCN5085.jpg

Size comparison to the older A-tec moderator.

DSCN0446.jpg

edi

Last edited:
NORTHSTAR.

Over barrel no bushes stick it on all your centre fires job done. Stainless, so you dont need to change unless you get bored.

I own 2 Jet-z's and a couple of PES now days. Had most though.

I love my PES muzzle can. Full stainless construction and £130 cheaper than a jet-z.

The only other mod I will try is a Third Eye Tactical, I really like the integrated muzzle brake design. Also the Quicksilver mods are nice but at >£500 not worthy.

Gas flows forward of your muzzle, hence my preference to forward mounted cans. I own a PES extreme for my .20 Tac and it sounds like a moderated .17 hmr.....

Hmmm reading the comments I am puzzled as last year I brought my P8 Wildcat and have used it on two rifles, a 6.5x55 and the 25-06. Now I'll admit that I have put over 300 rounds through it and possibly as many as 500 but when cleaning it the other week I noticed that the stainless steel blast shield is pitted.

Now assuming that was alloy I wonder what state it would be in now?

I am considering a muzzle mounted can as on the .280 the foresight ramp will mean an over barrel reflex type cannot be used. This of course means getting another slot of one :rolleyes: am I am considering making my own. It also occurs to me that I must shoot more than a lot do.

Brit,
for those who put many rounds through a stainless moderator would be better.
If one only fires a few zero rounds and then uses the rifle for hill stalking or
deer in heavy cover where handling is important, then the Alu mod would be interesting.
If in your case you would have shot 300 deer with those 300-500 rounds,...then I'm sure
two or three new aluminium baffles would have not broken the bank.
I used to only use a moderator for evening ambush deer shooting and would hill
stalk without a moderator because of the weight and bad handling. Now I use the
light moderator all the time. Might not shoot as much as you, but still stalk 1-2 times
a week and vermin shoot a few evenings.

Most stalkers who have handled an aluminium mod and noticed the difference
in rifle handling when mounted will eventually change to alu. Just like those who
have carried a heavy barreled rifle for stalking mostly change to something lighter
after a few years of suffering.

edi

Ahhh I cannot fault your reasoning on weight ;) my 25-06 is heavy with the P8 and a Harris Bi-Pod scope and leather sling it weighs nearly 12lbs :(. I did not know it weighed so much when I brought it over the phone. The stock is much denser than most it seems as the rifle weighs a good 1 1/2lbs more than the catalogue weight. So it has never been stalking yet. I was not happy with it's group consistancy so all those rounds have been in testing an load development. The first ones were wasted and it turned out an old scope had given up the ghost, a brand new one prooved faulty so it now wears the S&B 6x42 off the Medwell & Perritt until I can get a nice replacement ;).

It was then that I decided to adapt the 6.5mm for moderator use. Just checked and the 25-06 has fired 308 rounds since I acquired it. A few were not fired through the moderator to check the change in POI and to see what difference the mod makes in grouping. I cannot tell how many 6.5's have gone through it but it looks to be a bit less than I thought. Quite a bit less and perhaps only 100 rounds.

I try to shoot at the range at least twice a month but this year has been bad. First my certificate was in for variation which took some 3 1/2 months. I will not travel without the FAC on me with a rifle. and now due to Mothers injury and dad being in Hospital I have no idea when I can get a day to go to the range and add the rediculas cost of powder etc now :eek: I am shooting the .222 more to reduce cost.

If I make my own Moderator is will on the expansion chamber principle and we will see how it works. Any blast surface will need to be errosion resistant as the .280 prpoduces a lot of gas by volume and the velocity will be high.. The .280 rifle weighs 6lbs 5 ozs at the moment but it does not have it's iron sights yet and the chamber has to be reamed but I doubt it will go over 6 1/2lbs before the scope is added.

Sadly I cannot stalk as often as I would like :(.

Hi,

The new A-Tec CMM4 Alu moderator is a geat new lightweight. Just 220g with a built in internal, steel muzzle break and modular design. Again an in front of muzzle design but sooooo light.

The brand new SL5 by ASE UTRA... Again proving they lead the market with innovative design. Just 4", yes 4" stainless steel. Similar diameter to the AUC Jet-Z and it works...

But if you want pure performance the AUC Jet-Z is your baby. On the sound meter its not yet been rivaled, 2-3 db better than the rest.

However the latest mod by A-Tec, 'The Maxim' (not yet out in the UK). Proves to be a real performer in the prototype stage testing. Over barrel design, lightweight maybe a little larger than most the new stuff, but hey it may just be the quietest mod available soon.

Dennis

Many thanks for all your replies

Having looked up some of the suggestions I will be considering my options.

Thanks again for all your replies, I hope that I don't go deaf before I make my decison!!

Anyone tried the lawrence precision auroras, the titanium jobbies? I know theyre a heap smaller and lighter than my P8 but are they anywhere near as effective as the P8/T8s?

Back