which hand held GPS system ??

Scots_stalker

hi guys , i was out on my new permission saturday / sunday , its 7000 acres of conifer and mixed woodland , at one point on sunday i became a bit dissoriantated:eek: , scary stuff i can tell you,, i was wondering if anyone uses a handheld gps system ? there are plenty of them around £100 ,i am looking for something that i can log points into i e shot beast and start point and be able to retrace my steps back
brian

Last edited:
I have a garmin gps 60c. I've used it in many different countries, very straight forward, has everything you need. Never actually used it much to navigate, as a map and compass works fine, but it's a back up if your should be lost. But make sure you put in your start point. I was walking in wales a while ago, a chap approached me lost stating he couldn't use his gps. He had no map and compass*and haven't even put his start point in the gps, as much use as a chocolate tea pot if you can't use it.*

If you can stretch to it the Garmin Oregon 550T has an onboard camera which allows you to 'Geotag' pics of shot beasts, runs, points of interest etc. and build up a history of places. Also takes the GB Discovery OS mapping SD cards, so you can view in detail down to quite small scaling.

If you have an iPhone (or one of the other top end smart phones) can I suggest Memory Map (free on iPhone, just buy maps by the sqKM) you can download OS 1:25k Explorer maps and the accuracy and detail is incredible. Does everything you need it to do without having to carry multiple devices.

Paul :thumb:

I have a gamin 60cs with the os maps in it for the areas where I use it. Handheld gps units seem to be fashion items for the out door "we do dangerous sports" folks so you can often get end of line deals when a new model comes out. Garmin have released a replacement for the 60csx model and they Are being sold as run outs. Worth a look. For me worth the money but as said does not replace a brain.

if you have a mobile phone with gps and an android operating system you can download OruxMaps...it is free and comes with instructions to make your own maps [dont ask exactly how it works but it does]. i used it recently around Perth and it was great as a free app.

atb

Garmin GPSmap 60 Cx for me, has never let me down, even after a few of years bolted to
various motorcycles, quads and cars, full navigation and routing plus all the off road features you will ever need.
If you want a built in electronic compass that works even when you are not moving them the
GPSmap 60CSx is the one to get, even has a built in altimeter, althought the standard one gives
you rough idea based on satellite positions.

Neil. :)

Last edited:
I've had a Garmin GPS 60CSX since they came out. Mines been dropped in bogs, trodden on, thrown down the road at about 40mph and it actually went througha dry stone wall whilst attached to the handlebars of my enduro bike. It's never missed a beat.
They are a great unit if you can do without full OS detailed base mapping and will happily do exactly what you've stated in your post.
You can also drop garmins mapsource (full tom tom esque road mapping) euoropean or world wide mapping onto them making them very handy to slip in a pocket or bag if you go abroad.

Satmap

I use a Satmap for my stalking activities, expensive bits of kit but you can get 1:50k full UK OS and 1:25k OS regions, in my opinion well worth the money. I use mine all the time I am out.
Good luck in your hunt for a suitable gps device.

Back