First Snow

6pointer

Out this morning on the first snow the estate looked special and the deer while not showing to well did show in the end and a nice doe was in the larder.
2010firstsnow1.jpg

you got about the same as us there mate, we will be out monday and im sure it will be gone by then

Got the same down my way 6pointer

I was out Hind stalking in Perthshire yesterday and it was a beautiful day, above the tree line it was raw but clear & nae snow.

IMGP4225.jpg

Was warm in the sun when we got into the open though

IMGP4220.jpg

However, back at home, I woke up this morning and there was a good covering of snow, still bloody freezing though.

This was out game shoot today, heading into Woodcock ground:

IMGP4231.jpg

Sun going down as well as the temperature:

IMGP4258.jpg

Hard day but a lovely walk . Small bag but thankfully we aint all about numbers
5 Pheasants and 1 woodcock, could have been 2 but I wasn’t on form…nothing new there …

IMGP4260.jpg

Those new Zippo handwarmers are on the xmas list......:D

Cheers
Rb

Last edited:
This snow is hampering me getting up to Perth, looks like it may by Tuesday at before I get there..not impressed.
Looking at those photos, it seems that you havent had the snow so bad..yet.

Wills

It has arrived this morning with a vengance. Just finishing this coffee and out with the shovel. West Lothian is white and Perth seems to have more than us,
Jim

The pheasants in my garden are not too impressed by it, they are flying in to feed,
henpheasant.jpg

henatfeeder.jpg

cockpheasant.jpg

and it looks as if it is about to start again.

John

....And here in Aberdeen its more like the Alps. I cleared snow yesterday and another 10cm has fallen in the night and we have more forcast and its only November. I will not bother clearing any more snow...........

Last year the main fall of snow came a little beore Christmas in Aberdeen so I rather gather we could be in for a repeat performance.

North Lanarkshire was like this at approx 10am, it did clear briefly which was just as well as we spent 30 odd minutes prone, waiting for a Doe and her kid to stand up.
P1000086.jpg

We had a bit of dusting on one of of our estates in Herefordshire, quite pretty but a bit cold on the ears fetching this fallow fawn with the quad.

WD

DSC01059.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

Well done mate, its such a shame Max is so camera shy :) dont you just :love: him

ATB

David

Just measured the depth, genuine 16'' on top of the dog trailer and it has started snowing again.

Been into the village to pick up some provisions and cannot believe that some lorries are still trying to drive in this.

Just measured the depth, genuine 16'' on top of the dog trailer and it has started snowing again.

Been into the village to pick up some provisions and cannot believe that some lorries are still trying to drive in this.

I'm almost feeling left out (NOT :D). Normally our road is one of the first to block. This time we've only a couple of inches of snow in the fields and the road's fine, even though our house is 800ft above sea level and the farm rises to over a 1000.
From where I sit typing this I can look across the Broughton Heights back into Peeblesshire (and on towards where I believe Jamross's territory lies) those hills look Very white. I can also look along the Pentlands towards Edinburgh and they look even whiter. Can't tell the hills from the clouds.

They tell me 6 inches of snow fell in Edinburgh last night alone, with several more before that. Anyways, I've finished work for the morning and I'm off out stalking.

p.s. Parcel force just delivered my new Cabelas jacket since I started typing this and duty was all paid up front, excellent ... :D.

Started snowing here last night and we had a 1-2 inches in the end - nothing compared to you Northern/Scottish boys but a good excuse to get the Landy out :)

Cheers,

Phil

I'm almost feeling left out (NOT :D). Normally our road is one of the first to block. This time we've only a couple of inches of snow in the fields and the road's fine, even though our house is 800ft above sea level and the farm rises to over a 1000.
From where I sit typing this I can look across the Broughton Heights back into Peeblesshire (and on towards where I believe Jamross's territory lies) those hills look Very white. I can also look along the Pentlands towards Edinburgh and they look even whiter. Can't tell the hills from the clouds.

They tell me 6 inches of snow fell in Edinburgh last night alone, with several more before that. Anyways, I've finished work for the morning and I'm off out stalking.

p.s. Parcel force just delivered my new Cabelas jacket since I started typing this and duty was all paid up front, excellent ... :D.

You sound like you are near the area I spent several happy years stalking Sika. Part of our ground was above the trees near Broadlaw, stunning at this time of year...

I had a great wee day on Saturday with Zelda my GWP.

Just a walk out for pheasants but the moon had brought an abundance of woodcock in. Got about a 12 points on woodcock but only managed a shot at 4 getting 3 :). I ended the day with 3 pheasants and 3 woodcock. I'll upload a picture later.

Last edited:
14" in the garden and still falling. However Forth which is higher to the south of me has a lot less this time. Central belt is getting it hard.
Jim

The deer are already out swiping the snow away with there noses looks like were in for more snow or a hard frost Animals seem to know these things.

spragsdeerx3.jpg

Last edited:
I was out this morning with a client stalking along my Kale gamecrops. The snow was 12-18 inches deep but the gamecrops had plenty of feeding on show. We saw 10 Roe and shot 2 Does (his first ever deer). Getting them off the field wasn't so easy though!!

Mark.

Sum total of all we had this weekend (east anglia), although on the plus side saw lots of lapwings and this years fallow fawns about. Still absolutely bitter checking cattle though, forgot my gloves for the quad. I am up onto Exmoor milking and winter shearing in a week or 2, be interesting to see what it's like up there...

A few years ago water in the parlour would freeze one end whilst I was dipping/wiping at the other!

Attachments

• pic00053.jpg
    pic00053.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 24
Back