Advice required ref binoculars

DC .270

Dear all,

I've been reading the various binocular related threads that have appeared over recent months to help me find a suitable set for around the £500 to £600 mark.

I've just been offered a pair of Zeiss Victory FL 8 x 42,1 year old (just been part exchanged, today) the glass is immacculate, there is not one sign of even the slightest use, they are boxed with all warranties, caps, straps etc...

The price .......... £870.

More than I wanted to pay at the moment but how often will I have the opportunity to buy a pair in this standard (perfect, as new) for this price? I think new they retail at about 1200 ish. I could be wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, in anticipation.

DC

What's their after sales service like?

For the customer service I have received from Swarovski, I'd be going for something like this

SLC 7x42

TJ

Quite right.

Where are the SLC's in the swarovski line - near the top end or entry level? Apologies for a complete lack of bino knowledge and therfore silly question.

Thanks Stu.

DC

Go with your gut instinct... there is very little to choose between any of the big 3, Zeiss, Swaro, Leica... all boils down to your favourite flavour at that level!!! so I would say... do it... I originally had a pair of £600 Pentaxs which I thought were the mutts nuts.... until I looked through a pair of Leicas and the rest... as they say is history.... Now have a pair of Leica Geovids (8x56) which should, in all reality, be the last pair of bins I'll ever buy and that, to my mind, is why you buy products from the big 3!

Very true Vipa. They are a big investment, not only financially but because they're likely to be the only things you look through (rifle scope aside) for many years.

Thanks,

DC

Quite right.

Where are the SLC's in the swarovski line - near the top end or entry level? Apologies for a complete lack of bino knowledge and therfore silly question.

Thanks Stu.

DC

I wouldn't say they are entry level one bit, should be all you need and for that price you can't go wrong, buy them then send them off to Swarovski for a "Repair" and get them completely overhauled although I doubt you'd need to. I have the Swarovski 10x42 EL's and wouldn't have any other make of Bins to be honest. If I do go for a pocket set, they will be something like the 8x20 he has.

TJ

Dave, can't comment on those zeiss although my brother has a pair of what i think are 1990s Zeiss Dailyt 10x40s and the are amazing something like these (they're something like these >CLICK ME< . Comfortable in the hand and I feel the image quality to be superior to my fathers Swarovski SLCs 8x30s and my mothers Swarovski EL 8x42s however both of them are more than you'll ever need. Its just a case of what you like in a pair of binos. Just my tu-pence worth.

George

I would say they are a little bit dear really. The reason I say this is because they are currently my bins of choice, and I've watched quite a few pairs on fleabay over the last few months. I've just gone into my watch list, and they last few pairs have gone between £690 - £800. These were described as pristine with the Lotutec coating, which I think is excellent. I once spent 3 hours (in good light) evaluating the Swarovision, and the FL, and couldn't see the price difference between them, but twilight may tell a different tale, and I'm certainly no optics expert.
I think the points raised above are good ones though, Swaro have a hell of a reputation in the after sales department, I have never dealt with Zeiss so can't comment on that front, but would like to hope that they are comparable. I know Leica had a poor reputation for years, but couldn't say if this is still justified or wether they have upped their game now. Maybe a Zeiss/Leica owner could comment?
They are certainly top notch, and the SLC's are tremendous also, down to personal preference really. Just make sure to try them, make sure they fit your face etc.

DC

I had a set of Zeiss Victory's 7x42. The eye extension tubes were very fragile and needed to be fixed twice. I traded them in for Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42. Wish I had bought the Swarovski's years ago.

Rgds JCS

Dave,

as much as it offends your natural instincts you are going to have to spend money:D If you are taken with the pair you have been offered and consider them a bargain then dig deep and buy them. If you do not wish to exceed your self imposed limit then perhaps you should try something like the Kahles that Macleods have on offer just now.

John

You could always buy Leupold binos

Within your price range and when Ive compared mine (windriver 8 x 42's) to leica a zeiss weve been unable to detect any difference in performance

JCS - how did you get them fixed, was it via Zeiss customer service? If so, how did you find it?
Obviously this may influence his decision as the Swaro service is legendary.

Dave,

as much as it offends your natural instincts you are going to have to spend money:D If you are taken with the pair you have been offered and consider them a bargain then dig deep and buy them. If you do not wish to exceed your self imposed limit then perhaps you should try something like the Kahles that Macleods have on offer just now.

John

Are you suggesting that theres some truth in the Yorkshire stereotype there John?

How are you getting on with your Kahles. Undoubtebly good glass.

I've not really got a desperate urge to get new binoculars at the moment. I'm not getting anywhere near the amout of stalking done at the moment to warrant it really. I am always on the lookout for a cracking deal though and thought these seemed reasonable. I might offer £600 for a sale today, or just leave them.

They can take it or leave it really. I'm sure they'll sell for the asking price given their absolutely pristine condition.

You never know, I might even see a stag on your ground if I get a new looking glass.;)

Dave

JCS - how did you get them fixed, was it via Zeiss customer service? If so, how did you find it?
Obviously this may influence his decision as the Swaro service is legendary.

Zeiss fixed the binoculars and all it cost was the postage. However a better designed pair of binocs wouldn't have broken in the first place. Rgds JCS

Hi, Wait and save up for A pair of Swarovski 8.5x42ELs they will be your last pair regardless of how long you continue to stalk. £600 would be a good deposit in the "Best Glass Money Can Buy".

Try Optics warehouse i bought mine there a few years ago and they were the cheapest, also they were giving 6 months cash price.

Regards Dalkur.

Kahles bino's are very light and small but lack on field of view. At the last IWA Kahles
did not display bino's and told me they are stopping their production. Just as
I wanted to buy a set.

I would not even want Swarovski or most Zeiss bino's as they are too heavy.
They just don't suit my shooting.
After searching for ages I found the Kaps 8x42, which have exactly what I need.
Built rock solid, Light, great glass, good field of view and small size. At a good price.

edi

Hi guys.

Thanks for all of your comments and advice ref the bino hunt.

On Saturday I bought a pair of Kahles 8x42 in Loden green. They are excellent.

I arrived at the shop at dusk and was testing various pairs right into darkness. I tested them against the Steiner, Redfield, Bushnell elite, and another I don't remember. The Kahles were significantly better than any other in the price bracket.

I believe the comment from ejg to be true about the field of view, the 10x that I have looked through before did appear a little narrow. The 8x however are ideal.

I haven't got out with them much yet but my first impressions are good. I'm sure that they are the best value binos out there without going into £thousands!

Thanks again to all for your input and advice.

DC

DC
Save your pennies and get a pair of swaros, I have a pair of 10x42's I brought years ago and they are still the best bino's I have ever had the privilge to own and use

Guys,

Secondhand Swaro/Khales, Zeiss, Leica are all punching above their cost. Where to look? Your "local" old fashioned photo camera shop, that's where optic bargains are at :)

Stan

you should try eBay.
The Optics shops have some good deals and offer a warranty which is nice, but you cant beat a private sale for a bargain.

I got a pair of 8x42 Leica Ultravids, second hand, boxed and from what I can see untouched. the strap was still folded in the original bag. all paperwork. £700
these were going for £1200 new when I bought them, now a little closer to £1000-1100.

excellent light gathering, viewing into woodland is very bright. Fantastic binos for that money.

Best part about eBay is that there an awful lot of used but excellent condition ones listed. they will never get the money the optics shops want with that supply.

here is a brand new set for £850 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leica-Ultravi...Photography_Binoculars_ET&hash=item20b5aa3769

Back