this is probably supid.... but

Paul at Fechan

baring in mind the forcast i'm going up to sutherland from the scottish border tonight leaving about 1am to have a look around and to retrieve a trail cam from my patch that's been there for a couple of weeks now. Looking forward to seeing what's sneaking about the woodland.

So I might get stuck or the a9 snow gates might be closed but sod it, me and my puggy are going for it.

ps,

yes I have my baggy, flask, shovel, ipod and cleenex ;)

Nothing better than stalking in winter especially with snow on the ground amazing how many slots you come across,these trail cams do they take pics or videos,I presume they flash for night shots could you use one for say poachers or would they see the cam flash .

you set them how you want to record so either, pics, vids or a mix. newer ones have good spec night vision so your pics at night are really good.

Range Master,

IR ( infra red) sees in the dark :)

Good way of logging movements in/out your ground as it gets the Reg numbers of "alleged poachers".

Stan

Range Master,

IR ( infra red) sees in the dark :)

Good way of logging movements in/out your ground as it gets the Reg numbers of "alleged poachers".

Stan
HI Stan not really clued up on trail cams ,do they give off light IR has a red light is it noticible to say a poacher walking past it.

dont think getting there will be a problem, its the getting back that might be an issue, now wouldnt that be a shame, getting snowed in while "stalking" i can just imagine the phone call to work on monday morning!

good luck

Skipp.

That was a bananas run up and back to sutherland but I got the cam back, there was deer everywhere. A mixed group of reds were well into the property when I went out but with the 18 inches of snow on the ground was I heck going to shoot and drag one!

One the way back there must have been more that a thousand reds along the a9 just south of dalwinnie scattered along a 15 mile stretch. parts of the a9 were closed south of perth so I ended up going to dundee then edinburgh, back to glasgow before home as usual.

What's shocking is the number of people that simply can't drive in snow and think for example that wheel spinning is the best way to move up a hill and that overtaking while driving through rutted ice and snow is a good idea to get there faster (before they end up hitting something or someone unfriendly) Must have been more than a dozen crunches I went past.

Glad to see you got back OK :) just one point:-

What's shocking is the number of people that simply can't drive in snow

I think what you mean is this:-

What's shocking is the number of people that simply can't drive

Got asked to pull a Peugeot 205 outta the ditch where it had gone in rear first. We were going to the gunclub to pick up another box of that Federal Fusion .270 ammo on the way back from the Hospital. I declined as I had Mother and the dog in the Jeep and my tow rope would not have been man enough for the job anyway. Surprisingly we have not seen any shunts of vechiles abaondoned after losing it ont eh snow and ice... Whoops yes I did one on the A158 on the way to Wraby the otehr week. A BMW had spun through the hedge as was grounded on the plough.

Well done for getting back down the road, I was not home this weekend so I was lucky/unlucky depending on how you look at it, I don't like the A9 this time of year. I am going home on Wednesday though. Hopefully it will be clear.

Here is some info on Sealth Cams, might not be the cheepest retailer, but once you find the model you think you want, you can search the net for the best deal.

Stealth Cams

TJ

It would be interesting to hear of anyone's success in detecting un-desirables on their ground using a stealth cam, we have been told that FC stalkers had been on our ground this year to make up their numbers (our lease isn't with FC but the joining ground is...), so we intend putting cameras up to see who's about... :evil:

Rgds

Rob

Paul - your comment on the deer number you saw on the A9. You probably know it - but for the benefit of those who might not -That's the sight which convinces the general public that the whole hill is covered in such numbers - a misconception encouraged by the DCS. They don't realise that these deer are just congregating from many areas into a historical wintering area during harder times.
It's not for nothing that the old drove road - then the A9 was put there.

Quite a number of years ago a surveyor was paid for an all-winter investigation of where the snow drifted in that region in order to acertain the best road site and how to protect it.

All they needed to do was to ask the local shepherds or stalkers ! For nothing ! But THEY were not qualified !

paul, pleased to see you got back alright, had visions of you up to the windows in snow with a bottle of malt and a slicing haggis for sustainance...callie

Paul - your comment on the deer number you saw on the A9. You probably know it - but for the benefit of those who might not -That's the sight which convinces the general public that the whole hill is covered in such numbers - a misconception encouraged by the DCS. They don't realise that these deer are just congregating from many areas into a historical wintering area during harder times.
Nail, head, hit.

Its alot of der to see in one relatively small area but what people forget is there is 30,000 acres out there with not a hoof on it.

Thanks for the kind comments! It's a yearly thing and I remember last january it was exactly the same. You can get some really amazing pics from the many parking spots along there. The only thing is they do wander across and down the duel carriageway which at night can be a real hazzard.

Back