frost

Or cornflakes ! 'Nothing I know that anyone can do about it mate, but scrunch your way forward to shooting range once you see the deer and hope they don't hear you. I used-to try and find a drain or something fluid to walk in, but that too has it's down-side as when you need to get down - it's into freezing soggy stuff.

Oh the joys - - - - - - !

Maybe that should be added to the thread about excuses NOT to go out stalking.

Frost on snow spoilt 2 chances for me yesterday morning on our ground in SE Ayreshire, couldn't get any nearer than 250yrs to a deer so
came back with an empty bloodbox & pretty cold after -7 in the caravan - all good fun thought!.... :lol:

Last winter I made myself some traditional snow shoes. Easy to make and light to wear if you make them correctly. Just copy the shoes from a Google search or go onto Youtube and hammer in Make Snow Shoes.

in this kind of weather, snow and frost on the ground, i stalk as quiet and slow as i can to where i know the deer come out, when the sun comes up, i sit out there in waiting. or stalk to the nearest or most productive high seat with a hot flask of coffee. and hope the wind stays in my favour and luck is on my side.
walking round all day crunching away will do nothing but educate the deer or my presence.

As they say "you wont shoot, anything staying in door's" No matter what the weather being out in the Wild's you always stand a chance

I was out on Saturday night after a particularly evasive fox. We carried on regardless of the fact that the lamp didn't have to go on. We could see 'ole Charlie sitting in the snow covered field by moonlight and the bino's. Crunching your way around doesn't make it any easier.

I've often wandered if I'm the only thing stupid enough to be out in this?! Even the deer didn't oblige come daylight. At least we gave it a go.

DC

Back