Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubular heaters

Tubular heaters

I've just ordered - on the web - a 4 foot tubular heater from Toolstation. Toolstation send all orders over 10 free delivery.

Until that arrives - and they are very good value for money - I've put our little convector-heater into the water filtration shed. The temperature is dropping rapidly and some more of the white stuff is falling as the light fades.

For those who have not come across them, these 55mm diameter tubes come with fix-on feet with screwholes for stabilising into walls or on the floor and are available in various lengths from one foot long in foot-length increases up to four foot. They take a little while to gather heat but are great for maintaining a low-level warmth at a cheap rate and you can get wire mesh guards for them as well.
    Great for kennels or poultry sheds - or keeping tool sheds aired out and not gathering condensation.

Just a thought to pass on in the present conditions. Let's hope there's not a run on them before mine arrives - AND that it will arrive before the snow clears.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

I use a dedicated frost heater in the out building that houses the washing machine. They're ideal because they have a thermostat designed for low temps.
    In the kennel I have 2 x 40w light bulbs in a false floor that I switch manually.
    In my gun cabinet I have a energy saving bulb on all year round, it gives off just enough heat to keep things dry and makes it a lot easier to get the guns out without knocking them.

'Sounds very practical Kingstonandy. Are your rifles wooden stocked, and if so, have you found any hint of stock movement ? I think it's a great idea to eliminate any chance of gun safe condensation.

No, there's no sign of movement, it gives off such a tiny amount of heat.
    I was finding a fine layer of mould forming on my wooden stocks the bulb has stopped it though.

I've had a very short (around ten inch) tube heater in my welding rod store for about 12 years, wonder how much leccy it's used!............. used to see em' in greenhouses too!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hello Fin, I have one of those in a boxed-in compartment in the corner of my workshop where the house water comes in from the hill to the filtration shed - then back out to the house. It keeps it from freezing. According to one fellow I know, about the same as a lightbulb once they get to optimum heat.

I wonder if anyone knows if a solar panel device could be installed ? They are certainly available to trickle charge 12V batteries and I'm told cost around 19.
    The answer might be to see if there's a 12V heater which could be attached to a timer for night use - with the solar panely working to recharge by day.

'Must be someone amongst the 4000 members who would know !

There are mats used by wine makers (to keep the wine at a constant temp) and garden centers (seed germination etc) that can run of of solar power.

Really not worth the effort Ecoman. By the time you cost in the the panel (with diode) and then a battery from which to run the puny heater. If the heater is a say 120-200watt then you'll also have to cost in a step-up voltage converter.

I did something similar some time ago as an exercise: cobbled together a small wind turbine from a car alternator, car battery and 200w converter to a 180w heater. I may not have had to pay for the alternator nor battery but by the time i added the cost of all the minor parts, construction time, a tenner for the converter ........... Run that same 180w heater from the mains all winter, 24hrs a day and you're talking less than a tenner!

I have a 3 foot one in the gun cupboard and another 3 foot one in the kennel feed store.

The one in the feed store is placed under the tap and its still freezing up.

Very poor at puting out heat.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Dan - it seems to me that these are not so good if there's big spaces around, but they are useful in smaller enclosed places such as a 4'X6' box or cupboard.

I was a advised to put the tube under the piping then drape a sheet over the pipes and down to the floor - not touching the heater - so that the warmed air would drift up inside the sheet and concentrate it's energy where most needed.

For two years now I've used two in enclosed spaces such as a large plywood box - using the guard - and they work fine.

If your feed store is very draughty - or you are fighting the old-type stone walls like I used to have in my kennels - then you have my sympathy as they are the very devil to get warm - or keep dry.

Thanks for your advice scotsgun - and yours deer man.

Oh ! I am told on good authority that if you dare to try and harness the power from a stream in order to run a little genny, SEPA, if they find out, will descend upon you. You can apparently be charged for the privilege of utilising the water flow and it has to return to the parent stream - unpolluted.
    Last edited by ecoman; 02-12-2010 at 10:27.