Rabbit curry

Rabbit legs and saddle enough for 6 people
1 cup oil (Veg or Olive)
2 Large Onions
6 Cloves
6 Cardamoms
2-3 medium pieces of cinnamon bark (Or powdered cinnamon)
Fresh coriander (Optional)
2 tsp (tea spoon) Ginger (can be bought pre-blended in jars)
4 cloves Garlic (can be bought pre-blended in jars)
1 ½ tin chopped tomatoes
2 tsp sugar (Optional)
1-2 tsp Salt
3 Over heaped desert spoon Curry powder by "BOLST’S"
1 desert sp powdered coriander seeds (Indian name is Dhanya)
1 desert sp powdered cumin seeds. (Indian name is Jeera)
2 tsp Garam masala (Optional)

Preparation
Joint the rabbit as you see fit
Chop onion some fine and some course
Chop coriander - fine
Grate Ginger & Garlic

Method
Heat the oil (Heat till it smokes a little if using olive oil, has funny flavour if not)
Fry onion till golden brown
Lightly fry Cloves, Cardamoms (Pop open cardamoms), medium pieces of cinnamon bark (Or powdered cinnamon)
Add Curry powder & Guram masala, then powdered coriander & powdered cumin. Fry really well until brown but do not burn the paste.
Lightly fry ginger and garlic

Add the Rabbit and stir fry for about 10 mins making sure the paste has coated all the meat.

You can leave it to marinate for a while at this point by covering the pan and simmering slowly till some juices come out of the meat.

Add the chopped tomatoes, Chopped Fresh coriander, sugar, Salt. Occasionally stirring gently until meat is cooked on a very low heat until the rabbit is tender (could be up to 3 hours if old rabbits)

Remember to tell your guests not to eat Cloves, Cardamoms & cinnamon bark… I try to pick out as much as I can before serving.

Enjoy with lots of beer or white wine !!!

I also use this for venison, it must be reasonably good as last time my parents visited I made it for them and my Mum wanted it 2 nights running (no pun intended):doh:

This will make a typical "Take-away" korma which I honestly belive goes best with Rabbit.

First you need to make a basic curry sauce;

Basic curry sauce:
450 g onions (Spanish)
25g fresh ginger
25g garlic
1ltr of water
1 tsp salt
¼ cup of vegetable oil
1 tsp tomato puree
1tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tablespoon garam masala
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
25 g of creamed coconut
Heat oil add onions, garlic, ginger and cook until onions are soft
Add everything else and simmer for 1 hour, skimming off all the froth.
Put the whole lot in to a blender and blend until perfectly smooth, it’s got to be perfectly smooth!

Okay that’s the hardest part but it’s the bases of all curries and exactly the same as a chef will do in all the take-always. Each chef has his own specific recipe for his basic sauce; the above is very good indeed.

Now you can make any type of curry dish you want but here is the recipe for Rabbit Korma, NOTE: you can freeze the basic sauce for your next curry!

Rabbit Korma
1 rabbit – deboned and cubed
4 tbsp oil
3 cups of basic curry sauce
½ cup of ground mixed nuts (I use almonds and cashew nuts)
Hand full of whole (shelled) cashew nuts
1 ½ tsp of salt (again I use sea salt)
½ tsp garam masala
1tsp ground cumin
150ml of thick double cream
½ tin of coconut milk
1 block of dried coconut
¼ tsp of yellow food colouring of you can use turmeric
Fresh green coriander to garnish

This is quick, which is why the take away can make so many curries in such a short time.
Heat oil and fry off rabbit until cooked. Do not turn down heat, add curry sauce, bring to boil and add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the cream. Cook for 10 mins, turn heat down add the cream and cook for another 3 mins. Job done, a most excellent Korma and one that after all my typing someone will try.

Serve with boiled rice, but add to your rice 2 x bay leafs, salt and three cloves.

Enjoy

tandoori spice mix, natural yogurt, slash the rabbit pieces (quarters) down to bone and into joints, mix well in a bowl and leave in the fridge overnight.
slap on barbeque.
eat with cucumber and mint raita 9yogurt, lemon juice, mint and peeled cucumber

Back