Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 Lite Stainless Rust.

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless Rust.

Has anyone had a problem with rust developing on their T3 stainless. I had one that started to develop patches of rust on the top of the barrel, the rifle was only 6 months old, cleaned and oiled after every outing. I took the rifle back to my rfd who sent it back to GMK, who beadblasted the barrel and sent it back, after another 2 months past and rust re- appeared at different spots to original ones. I told rfd not happy he said GMK were the worst company for customer service, he gave me afull refund, have since got another T3 so far so good with this one.

I have seen this before mate but not on them all i thought it was down to neglect.

Your barrel steel may have been contaminated during production, with mild steel particles,......... a good example of this is to polish a chunk of stains less steel with a handful of wire wool, leave in a damp atmosphere, watch the colour change.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

even stainless steel will rust but its normally just surface that can be cleaned with some stainless cleaner.

id say you need to abuse your metal to get it in that state though. sounds like a bad batch

I've had slight small bits of rust on a stainless howa, stainless remington, stainless tikka and seen it on a stainless sako75
    that I bedded recently.
    All seemed to have been made of a similar steel, none seemed better than the other.
    Maybe your tikka really had a mixed up batch of stainless. Sako has been known to screw up in that department.
    Be glad to have gotten rid of it. Normally it should have gone back to the factory for tests.
    Wrong materials are a safety issue.

I've a T3 stainless/ sign of any rust.

Perhaps you just got a 'Friday afternoon' barrel??
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

The clue is in the name:-

Which they changed from Rustless

and it was was called Rustless because it rusted less than mild or high carbon steels. It is not rustproof .

Don't know much about stainless barrels and the grade of stainless that is used but have plenty of experience of using it on boats and if i need stainless that is not going to rust i use a4 grade i've never seen it rust unlike a2 which certainly does.

In 1913, English metallurgist Harry Brearly, working on a project to improve rifle barrels, accidentally discovered that adding chromium to low carbon steel gives it stain resistance. In addition to iron, carbon, and chromium, modern stainless steel may also contain other elements, such as nickel, niobium, molybdenum, and titanium. Nickel, molybdenum, niobium, and chromium enhance the corrosion resistance of stainless steel.
    It is the addition of a minimum of 12% chromium to the steel that makes it resist rust, or stain 'less' than other types of steel.
    The chromium in the steel combines with oxygen in the atmosphere to form a thin, invisible layer of chrome-containing oxide, called the passive film. The sizes of chromium atoms and their oxides are similar, so they pack neatly together on the surface of the metal, forming a stable layer only a few atoms thick. If the metal is cut or scratched and the passive film is disrupted, more oxide will quickly form and recover the exposed surface, protecting it from oxidative corrosion. (Iron, on the other hand, rusts quickly because atomic iron is much smaller than its oxide, so the oxide forms a loose rather than tightly-packed layer and flakes away.) The passive film requires oxygen to self-repair, so stainless steels have poor corrosion resistance in low-oxygen and poor circulation environments. In seawater, chlorides from the salt will attack and destroy the passive film more quickly than it can be repaired in a low oxygen environment.

Types of Stainless Steel
    The three main types of stainless steels are austenitic, ferritic, and martensitic. These three types of steels are identified by their microstructure or predominant crystal phase.
    Austenitic steels have austenite as their primary phase (face centered cubic crystal). These are alloys containing chromium and nickel (sometimes manganese and nitrogen), structured around the Type 302 composition of iron, 18% chromium, and 8% nickel. Austenitic steels are not hardenable by heat treatment. The most familiar stainless steel is probably Type 304, sometimes called T304 or simply 304. Type 304 surgical stainless steel is an austenitic steel containing 18-20% chromium and 8-10% nickel.
    Ferritic steels have ferrite (body centered cubic crystal) as their main phase. These steels contain iron and chromium, based on the Type 430 composition of 17% chromium. Ferritic steel is less ductile than austenitic steel and is not hardenable by heat treatment.
    The characteristic orthorhombic martensite microstructure was first observed by German microscopist Adolf Martens around 1890. Martensitic steels are low carbon steels built around the Type 410 composition of iron, 12% chromium, and 0.12% carbon. They may be tempered and hardened. Martensite gives steel great hardness, but it also reduces its toughness and makes it brittle, so few steels are fully hardened.
    There are also other grades of stainless steels, such as precipitation-hardened, duplex, and cast stainless steels. Stainless steel can be produced in a variety of finishes and textures and can be tinted over a broad spectrum of colors.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

As rightly stated stainless does rust!

Stainless steel has a chromium content of between 13% and up to 26% for harsher environments and needs oxygen to create a thin layer of chromium oxide to protect the metal underneath.

Rust / corrosion is caused when a contaminate creates an 'airless or de-oxygenated patch' making the 'rust' spot. In my many years in the marine industry stainless corrosion has been 99% caused by a contaminant of some sort whether paint spots, iron particles, glue, cleaners (not stainless ones) or something else. The other 1% was probably an unproven contaminate as well!

It is possible that an oily cloth used to clean a blued gun that may have had an unnoticeable film of rust on it could contaminate a stainless barrel! Maybe even the residue off your fingers from a sticky toffee wrapper! The point is, take the oxygen away from even the smallest spec on a stainless steel surface and you may create a problem. However the good news is - it is still pretty resilient.

As a tip - I always use separate cleaning cloths for my stainless and blued guns.