Woodcock

whinfell

On my recent foxhunting outings i have noticed that there are a lot of woodcock about this year, anyone else noticed this.

It is part of the migration pattern. In the winter months (Nov-Feb) birds migrate across the North Sea from Scandinavia (and Russia!) to feed here in the Isles. We do have indigenous Woodcock too.
You will find the migrants to be slightly lighter in colour and on a guess about 4/5ths the size. A full moon will almost certainly be followed by sightings of higher Woodcock numbers.
PS I am the Spotter Conservation Officer for our shoot! Tis' rich in Woodcock. :tiphat:

There are two in the hedge in my garden right now. I have seen them over the past couple of days.

In some areas here in NI, you could easily see 15 - 20 in a nights lamping.

The first lot came in on the last full moon which wasnt that long ago, they seem to be moving more towards the coast here, the majority feeding on the foreshore as the ground inland has frozen hard.

We have them over here in The States, but they are few and far between and dwindling due to habitat loss. They are one of my favorite game birds. Any pictures of 'birds in hand' would be well-appreciated.

Paul

Here's on that I set up and cased last year. Beautiful birds!

P1040609.jpg

We are priveledged to be near to these birds, totally unique and can be picked up if stealthy and the smell of the foreign woodland off them is so different. My dog carried one to me last week, totally unharmed and it was a joy to hold and release on his way after a 1000 mile flight.... tasty too sometimes?

Have any of you lot noticed they seem to be in company with Snipe, both common & Jacks?, maybe it's due to their feeding requirements?

Did today FB, joined some friends on their shoot in Wrexham this morninf. Shot 10 snipe and 8 Woodcock and saw plently more of both in around the same areas.

We have a lot of woodcock and snipe around here.
The snipe are currently out of the spuds and in the ditches around the fields.
We shot on Wednesday and I decided not to shoot woodcock given the recent frosts, only one was shot on the day.

What do you fellows use for snipe and woodcock? I have a nice little side-by-side 28 that 'works for me'.

Paul

I use whatever Im carrying at the time.

Usually I'm on driven days so it would be a 12bore with 30g of 5's (flat land around here but jap/Michigan greens fly vertically and the partridge are superb)

If I'm walking up then a sbs sle 12 with 28g of 6's would be in my hands.

jap/Michigan greens

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those terms. Are those green-backed pheasants (my first guess since "driven") or mallards (AKA green-heads around here).

Are the shots generally "long" (farther than 30 yd)? And a related question - what chokes do you use for this shooting where it could be woodcock to pheasants?

Do you get the timberdoodles (what some of us call woodcock) in 'flat (treeless) land'? We only get them in 'the woods'. Makes for very challenging shooting. Four in a day would be a very good day.

Are the partridge you mention what we refer to as ptarmigan?

Are there still opportunities to shoot Black grouse in the UK?

Regards,
Paul

Sorry old keeper - I was posting at the same time. I suppose "carries a mile and spreads an acre" answers the range and choke questions.

Paul

Back