Thanks to all that voted for me!

griff

Just a quick thankyou to all that voted for me, unfortunately just missed the finishing post.
However had a long informative discussion with David Ilsly head of communications, we discussed all the issues raised by the members here, he assured me that any Basc member who has a legitimate complaint should not hesitate to contact him through this website or contact him direct at Basc..
We discussed a members forum which would be similar to the ones that are currently being used on the net, and to use these as media platforms to get their message across and hopefully involve the members more in issues that affect them.
I raised my concern that if a Basc members forum did evolve it should not be censored even if it was contraversial!
David assured me that if such an animal did evolve, and they are seriously considering a forum, it would be moderated only for abuse and the likes.

once again thankyou

regards
griff

hi griff
sorry to hear you did not quite get there ,but always next year and sure you will probaly get my vote again
now david has entered on to this site and so far has showed a lot of hope , maybe things will start to move at BASC HQ
good luck for the future
stone

Sorry for being so dim, but does that mean that you are now officially a BASC officer chappy ...er council member thingy. :confused: If so well done and congratulations! :D If not well there is always next year mate. ;)

Beowulf,
sorry mate, but didn't get elected..

Pete e,
sounds like a good idea, would you like me to put it to david Ilsly?

regards
griff

Forum

Hi all,

Not sure how the mods and others would view such a link - there are plenty of BASC members on this forum and plenty of non members- so lets keep the status quo eh?

Keeping this an indipendent forum will take away any possibility of censorship by BASC or anyone else- agreed?

I accept that not everyone will want to be a BASC member, and understand that people will often have stong views about BASC, some good some bad - OK lets keep the freedon to say our bit! But let us also keep an open mind that perception and reality are sometimes not the same thing. I will be the first to stand up and say I am wrong- if the cap fits....

Moving back to Griff- shame he was not elected, but keep at it, I know of one current council member who has at least three goes before they were elected.

BASC needs a council made up of all sorts of people with all sorts of skills, but most importantly we need council that truely represents BASC members.

David

PS my official title is head of marketing & membership services - but I answer to just about anything!

Sorry you didn`t make this time Griff.
I have to say equally disappointed for myself, and probably many others who are similarly disillusioned with BASC, in that we have lost a man that at least had the spine to stand up and state the feelings of its grass root members.
We are already seeing the right messages being offered by BASC officialdom, (probably because of you relaying our feelings) lets hope its not just, "political speak"; I will reserve judgment until attitudes do change.
But , I don`t think I`ll be holding my breath!
Anyway, next time Griff. Tony M.

Tony,
thanks for that, but just to put things into perspective, 127,000 members, less than 1% turned up at a centennary AGM, less than 3% voted..
Having been thrust into this for the first time I am absolutely astounded at the lack of interest and yet we want change, or is it just the minority that want change.
If I am to continue fighting on behalf of members then I don't want to find I am standing alone!

regards
griff

Griff ,
I think you have hit the nail on the head! So few members turn up at AGM or Vote, and so few get in touch with me or our regional directors for example to express concerns this can give an indication that the vast majority of the membership are satisfied with BASC and this may well be the case.

However, I am fully aware, based on posts on this forum for example, that there are some members who are not happy. Maybe this is because we have failed to get our message across properly, and maybe it is because in some cases we honestly have not given the level of service that the member expected.

Tony M
Thank you for keeping an open mind- Try as we might, I cannot guarantee that we will never fail to meet expectations 100% of the time- this is the real world and sometimes things do not go according to plan I guess- this is not unique to BASC is it?

Looking at some of the criticisms, I would ask for some clarification please so I can look into what needs to be done. One set of criticisms seems to centre around the phrase ‘BASC has lost touch with the members’ OK, if you could give me some examples please or suggestions on how you would like to see things improve this will help me to try to help you and the other members who feel we have lost touch with them.

This is not just ‘political’ speak’ although I can understand your caution! It is part of my job to do all I can to improve the membership package- and if I know there is an issue I can do something about it- if no one tells me than I am afraid there will be nothing I can do – so please do not be afraid to let me know what your concerns are- be open and frank with me and I will be the same with you – is that OK?

Best wishes

David

Thanks to all that voted for me

Griff, Sorry to hear that you didn't get on. Stick to it and don't give up.

David BASC, Is there going to be a bar in the BASC area at the game fair. Years ago it was a great meeting place for family and friends. I felt that it provided a central point and was an important part of the set up.
You could sit down with a pie and a pint and in no time at all you were chatting with complete strangers about the show, what you had seen or bought, where they were from and what shooting they did.

Here's a suggestion. Perhaps committe members and officials could wander through the area, introduce themselves and chat to members so that we could see who they were. After all, it is probably much easier to talk to someone with a pint in your hand.

Hi,

We have not had a bar on the BASC stand since 2001. I accept what you say about the social aspect, but the mess and bother was something else!

However, I like your idea about the meet & greet of BASC officials, but think that main game fairs are not necessarily the best lace to do this- perhaps some of our smaller road shows in the winter time would be a better venue?

We have run members evenings which can be popular, we have an agenda of key issues to discuss, and then have an open forum at the end.

I am very happy to work with the regional teams to set up members evenings with a meet / Q&A session if the demand is there. Let me know if there is and in what part of the country.

Best wishes

David

David BASC said:
Hi,

We have not had a bar on the BASC stand since 2001. I accept what you say about the social aspect, but the mess and bother was something else!

However, I like your idea about the meet & greet of BASC officials, but think that main game fairs are not necessarily the best lace to do this- perhaps some of our smaller road shows in the winter time would be a better venue?

Hello David,
my vote would also be for a bar at the game fairs. I'm so sorry that your members create so much mess and bother, but thats the breaks of being such a large organisation.

You have said you don't feel the gamefairs are the best place to meet the officials, please be more specific, why not? I should have thought it was a fantastic time and place, large turnout of members etc.

I've been a member for more years than I can remember. Apart from insurance, which as you point out I've never had cause to use, I've only twice asked for help. The resultant advice was on one occasion useful, on the other not. My shooting and stalking has been gained through my own efforts, and that of friends.
In it's short life, this site has produced more invites, advice, and support than the last twenty plus years with BASC. We are now embarking on work for the charity Help for Heroes. I raise this to illustrate a point:- Why are the guys here SO willing to spend time and effort to do this, when most of them have never even met? Moreover, why do so few of the same people not make the effort to take part in even the voting of candidates at BASC?
My gut feeling is that the loss of community we hear so much about, is the key. How it is born, or in the case of BASC, rekindled I can't imagine. Perhaps a bar at a game fair would be a start? What I believe is that without a feeling of "belonging" we are lost.
The organisation feels like it's on it's back foot, not wanting to rock the boat, for fear of upsetting someone. You have said meeting in an informal way i.e a bar at the game fair is not convenient. It may not be for you, but to dismiss our requests for that reason is stiil further alienating, them the officials, and us the members.
I sincerely wish you good luck, I don't envy your task.
Mark

Thats part of the problem though, you mention the low numbers attending and voting, but you think a members evening is a good idea, what makes you think people who don't turn up for an AGM will be bothered to go to a members evening even if it is more local. Surely the main game fairs are EXACTLY the right place to meet the vast majority of the membership, they will go to the game fairs anyway. Too often I have been to the BASC tent at game fairs only to be studiously ignored by the reps there, nobody even trying to recruit me never mind a general enquiry. I can't be the only one here who expects the BASC tent to be welcoming at a fair especially these days as they are getting more like lifestyle shows in the same way as the Royal Show has gone to the dogs.

Buckup,

Thanks for that – not totally dismissing the bar- just think that a more dedicated members evening may be more useful.

Also, at the shows there are always several BASC staff members there so please come and say hi!

Please let us all remember (BASC staff included!) we are on the same side- lets get talking!
David

Hi David,
From my very naive (damned sure I've spelt that wrong) standpoint the sollution is simple. Have a roped off bar area for members who show their card at the entrance, and a public area. That way the public see at first hand what bennefits the members are enjoying. The members feel special, and well treated. Two birds, one stone...
When can I start work in the P.R. dept? (not on your Nellie).
I'd like to see BASC enjoying the same loyalty and camerarderie we have here at S.D.
Mark

Notwithstanding my (admittedly) tongue in cheek comment on the insurance thread, there is a serious point here - and that is that it is so difficult to get talking in the first instance. My visit to the stalking section of the BASC complex at the last CLA Game Fair (2006) was a perfect illustration. I managed a grudging reply to a question out of one official before he turned his back on me and went back to a personal huddle with two other BASC-badged types at the back of the tent. No smile, no welcome, couldn't get rid of me (and Mole junior) quickly enough - definitely an atmosphere of 'them & us'. It only takes once reception such as that to put people off bothering again.

Events such as the CLA should be the natural time for members to get together with their Association, rather than more contrived members evenings. I am a BASC member, but with experiences like that (and it wasn't the only one) I must admit that I wonder why. One reason many people join is to 'put something back in' to the sport that they enjoy. I can get the insurance elsewhere, and I can't help feeling that the CA is doing a much better job on the campaigning and PR front.

A final thought - we might do well to ponder on the meaning of word 'Association' and all that it implies.

Mark,

OK good point - let me work on it.

Maybe as well as a private bar area we could put on some game cookery samples for members (free)

We could also staff the area with differnet BASC experts at different times of the day - say 9-10, firearms, 10-11, wildfowling, 11-12, Politics & Media and so on

Does that sound a good idea?

Plans are fixed for the 2008 game fair- but i will soon start work on the 2009 layout and will see if I can make this work for next year.

Thanks

David

Mole,

Can only say sorry for the way you were treated in 2006 at the CLA - that is simply not on and I can fully understand why you were unhappy about it- who wouldn’t be?

I will honestly do all I can to stress to the staff & volunteers manning the BASC stands that we need to improve our face to face customer service.

If you are going to the CLA this year please come and find me.

David

David with all of the greatest respect, why should The Mole have to come and find you to get special treatment?
As a member, mine ran out this year I had grudgingly renewed it for the last year or two as I was forced to as a condition of wildfowling on our syndicate, I have never been never going to now so told the syndicate I am not joining BASC agan, so long as I have insurance they don't care as so many are disillusioned that it can't be enforced!!

You may think I am totally anti your organisation I am not but unless we stand up and tell you you will not take notice, I want you to represent me if I am a member, speak to me as though I am your employer, that is because I am and pay your wages.. to long has the job for the boys attitude ruled the roost.

3 % eh to get voted .. ;) how many forums do BASC members use be interesting to do a little poll of our own, maybe get together with a few others and see if we can get some of our own like Griff to run for the elections and support them all the way?
If we all got together and spammed the hell out of every forum and shooting community I reckon 3% would be an easily achievable figure we have some marketing guys on here, maybe even the sheer horror of losing the cushy office to the rank and file would be enough to get a result,
the worm is turning :lol: All power to the mighty internet 8) lol

Wow - I think you have missed the point mate- I was just asking Mole to come and say Hi that’s all - so I can put a face to a name. No way was I suggesting that he or anyone else needs to access any special treatment via me!

The fact I have taken the time to join this forum AND be actively involved shows, I hope, that I am keen to listen and help.

I do not want an argument but I am sick of the ‘jobs for the boys’ handle – there honestly is no such culture at BASC and has never been so in my experience- if we give you that impression I am sorry – I accept than on occasion we have not given the best face to face service, and have said so. I have said that we need to improve our communication with members, and will work towards that.

I have just worked 9 days straight – worked all weekend (no overtime before you ask) even sorting some paper work out for one member of this forum on Saturday. And am now accused of having a ‘jobs for the boys’ attitude. :cry:

Cushy office? I ask you come on what do expect I have – Axminster carpet, air conditioning, teak desk, leather chair, hot & cold running secretary? No – same desk & chair from when I first started, no air con, but a window opens and I make my own tea.!

So cushy surprised you have not run for Council or a staff post yourself! :D

But all joking apart, if you have a legitimate concern and want to tell me why you are disillusioned and have ideas of what I could do to make BASC a better place –I am listening.

Ta

David

Back