tyre help please

david1976

I need to get myself some new tyres for the freelander as the current ones are starting to wear thin.

Looking for a bit of advice on a decent make and type to get that will be suitable for the snowy roads and driving through fields whilst lamping.

Tyre size on just now is 215/65 R16 98H

Should I be looking at all terrain / winter / cold weather?

cheers

david

I need to get myself some new tyres for the freelander as the current ones are starting to wear thin.

Looking for a bit of advice on a decent make and type to get that will be suitable for the snowy roads and driving through fields whilst lamping.

Tyre size on just now is 215/65 R16 98H

Should I be looking at all terrain / winter / cold weather?

cheers

david

david my next door neighbour is a tyre dealer if you want his details pm me
not sure where you are mate but if your close enough to central scotland got to be worth seeing if he is cheap

atb f.

BFG Mud terrain have totally transformed my navara i can't believe how much better they are than the all terrains and i don't find them much noisier on the road either,offroad they are brilliant and now use the truck more than the mule for those hard to get places.i haven't had the chance to try em in snow yet though but i'm sure they're going to perform just as well.
Neil.

B.F.G Allterrains will get you 95% of the places M.Ts will on a Freelander. Good road manners, very little road roar, and my ATs on a hard driven landcruiser are 60% worn after 33k miles. NEVER been stuck in snow.Nor mud now I come to think of it.
Not cheap per corner but buy well cry once, buy cheap cry twice. Always ask about expected life in miles/Ks and if the guy is cagey then ask someone who sells BFGs. I've had budget tyres that cost less than half the price of premium brands that lasted only 8k miles before they hit the wear bars.
ATs and MTs are both rated as snow tyres due to the temp that the rubber remains responsive at.

Cheers folks, can anyone give me an answer as to how the speed rating affects mpg. The tyres on just now are rated up to 130mph but in truth I dont ever go more than 70 in it or it eats fuel I usually stick to 60 on the motorway.

What would changing the speed rating up or down do?

Cheers folks, can anyone give me an answer as to how the speed rating affects mpg. The tyres on just now are rated up to 130mph but in truth I dont ever go more than 70 in it or it eats fuel I usually stick to 60 on the motorway.

What would changing the speed rating up or down do?
the rating for the tyres also takes into account the weight and type of vehicle, it could effect your insurance should you have an accident while running incorrectly rated tyres, you will get better mileage by using road biased tyres with the correct pressures, of course that may not help you off road.

Try Good year Wrangler AT2. A very good tyre. We see more of them fitted these days than the BFG's.

We get a few Vodafone Freelander commercials in they seem to have the AT2 on.

Jonathon

Suggest you have a look on tyre shopper, v comprehensive web site and great prices. Tyres review also may be woth a look.

D

Has to be BFG mud terrains! Amazing off road and to be honest no worse than all terrains on the road. Another good point, very hard wearing. My dad and I both have these tyres and his last set lasted nearly 90,000 miles! And you can guess what they were replaced with after performance like that!

BFG Mud terrains don't turn to slicks in mud or let go in the wet, unlike BFG All terrains,

Mud terrains are pretty poor on wet tarmac - even BFG rate them pretty poorly for this. All tyres are a compromise - there isn't a single tyre that copes well in all conditions from tarmac to thick mud. Plus mud terrains are noisy on the road (DON'T believe anyone who tells you different!!) and will hit your mpg.

You'll prob find that you're limited by size on the Freelander as not all tyres are available in all sizes (from memory, I don't think you can get BFG AT or MT in Freelander size). I'm pretty sure you can get General AT2's though, and they are a good tyre for all but thick mud -they just don't clear very well when it gets really thick and sticky!

4site4x4.co.uk has a handy tyre finder you can play around with to find out what is available in your size.

Got a set of bridgestone all terrain tyres in the end. Meant to be £126 each however the chap said £400 fitted if I took 4.
Cheers

Back