WSM Long or Short action?

Thar

I have been reading on some of the American Forums that they are increasingly basing the WSM chambered rifles on long actions. This is to allow them to use long heavy bullets seated only into the neck, there fore giving maximum power capacity in the case leading to better performance from the cartridge.

This seems to take away one of the supposed advantages of the WSM ie you could base it on a short action.

Does anybody on here use a WSM and do you have it in long or short action rifle.

Thar.

Thar said:
I have been reading on some of the American Forums that they are increasingly basing the WSM chambered rifles on long actions. This is to allow them to use long heavy bullets seated only into the neck, there fore giving maximum power capacity in the case leading to better performance from the cartridge.

This seems to take away one of the supposed advantages of the WSM ie you could base it on a short action.

Does anybody on here use a WSM and do you have it in long or short action rifle.

Thar.

As far as I know the WSM cartridge is an action size of its own - just about 10mm larger then the 308 - as supplied from all manufacturers. The RSAUM's are using the same size action.

I have had no problems with long bullets in any of the 4 cals, 270, 7mm, 30, 8mm (325) so am surprised anyone is finding problems unless some styles of bullets used for long range targets and touching the rifling

Hi WSM

I picked this up off the LRH site, so it seems reasonable to assume they would be using heavy for calibre bullets, VLDs ect. I did not realise that the WSM was based on what is in effect a intermediate action size.

Seeing a Long action is a little more than ½” longer than a short action, is the WSM action really 10mm longer than a short action?

All the best

Thar

It just goes to show - you use something day in day out and don't really take much notice of the detail.

I would have laid a fiver on the fact that both my 325s are the same length throw and for me that is what is important as the shorter the throw the less time needed for a second shot and less chance of a cracked nose bridge shooting wrong handed.

My Howas are right handed of course but the Montana's are left handed which is why I bought them and am selling on the Howas.

The Howas are shorter than the Montana's.

I have just measured the Bolt Throw of the following for comparison.

308 Remington = 102mm
25-06 Rem = 124mm
WSM Howa = 106mm
WSM Montana = 114mm

Hence the reasoning that the WSM was an in between size.
The Howa with a shorter throw feels the same as the Montana with a longer I suppose simply because it is right handed and the Montanas slight extra length isn't noticed when shooting more comfortably left handed.

I am right handed but shoot left handed.

Back