Preventing freezing water bowls

countrryboy

Alright

As the title says does anyone have any tips or clever ideas to prevent the dogs water bowls in the kennels being permanatly frozen in the cold weather.

Generally i expect the bowls to be frozen first thing in morning but i can put fresh water in in morning and it can be frozen again shortly after and thats them for day, not good if i'm away to work/beating etc.

I've tried varoius things hot/warm water(actually freezes quicker) but a plastic bowl does seem to help a bit. I have thought about building a insulated timber box but not sure if would do any good. The other good idea would be a solar powered water heater, do they exist? It would only have to heat water a degree or 2 so i'm sure a forsty sun would have enough power for that.

Any ideas or how others cope will be intresting to read. Cheers

I have automatic drinkers on the wall INSIDE the kennels, there is also a heatlamp in there and mine are STILL freezing.

You will struggle to find a solution.

Above the drinker is a lamp, its aswell not being on.

DSC03905.jpg

Last edited:
try putting them in your kennel not the run also try cow matting on the kennel floors and heat lamps are always a good idea not just for cold weather but for pups or injured dogs to

I have automatic drinkers on the wall INSIDE the kennels, there is also a heatlamp in there and mine are STILL freezing.

You will struggle to find a solution.

Above the drinker is a lamp, its aswell not being on.

DSC03905.jpg

Christ Dan, I've slept in worse bothy's than this!

How long did it take you to train them in the use of the wash hand basin?

I have heated water bowls in my kennels. They run off a 24v transformer. They have never frozen up in the 3 years I've been useing them and it been down to over -20.
Have a look at www.lundhs.se
If you google Lundhs production AB you should be able to translate the page.

Might be complete sh*te but may be if you ran a pipe from a tropical fish tank pump or live bait bag ito the bottom then it would not freeze, bubbles may put the dogs off drinking for a wee while though. It might work and costs pennies to run!

regards,

Pete

Might be complete sh*te but may be if you ran a pipe from a tropical fish tank pump or live bait bag ito the bottom then it would not freeze, bubbles may put the dogs off drinking for a wee while though. It might work and costs pennies to run!

regards,

Pete
Could just try Perrier then ?...

freezing water bowls

Try an old fashioned 'hot box'
wooden box lined with hay/straw/old duvet
place hot water bottle in bottom
place waterbowl on top
surround bowl with hay/staw etc
good for about 8 hours with little cost involved
kitwww.muntjactrading.co.uk

Heat mats designed for chicken drinkers work for me. i paid about £8 for mine around 12inch diameter and just put bowl on top. it stops ours freezing and has dropped to -28c on occasion.

Heat mats designed for chicken drinkers work for me. i paid about £8 for mine around 12inch diameter and just put bowl on top. it stops ours freezing and has dropped to -28c on occasion.

Wow never heard of these, Have you got any pictures and where do you get them?

listen if the dogs that thirsty he can lick the lump of ice

only kidding lads. that's some set up dan, our bothy up north is 50 time worse than that for us let alone the dogs.
good to see that so much care goes into looking after our animals.
we aint so cruel after all.
ITS ONLY A JOKE ABOUT THE ICE tee hee

atb f.

Back