Cold Weather Shooting Ban

Claret_Dabbler

Any word of this being introduced?

My father called in this morning. He says it is effective as of now in NI but I can't pick up any info on the web.

From the BASC home page:

Seven consecutive days of widespread freezing conditions can trigger a call for shooters to consider voluntary restraint if waterfowl are struggling under difficult local conditions. Thirteen consecutive days of freezing weather can trigger a statutory suspension of waterfowl shooting taking effect at day fifteen. As of 1 December the situation is: England/Wales at day 5, Scotland at day 7 and Northern Ireland at day 7.

Andrew

The 13 i shot this morning are plump and getting under the snow to eat the grass.... 2 more in the bag that had hit tho 40.000v bare power lines and blacked out eastern stirling.

Plucked and cooked in under 4 seconds, bet your missus thought you'd been to Sainburys and bought her a couple ready cooked geese ..lol

I wouldnt shoot woodcock yesterday, just my decision as its been freezing for so long and theyve not long arrived.

The pheasant and partridge had no excuse though :)

There has always been a unwritten rule amongst widlfowlers that after three days freeze they don't shoot ,and continue feeding where possible.

As far as I know yes, just wildfowl and waders.

Don't forget it also applies to reared mallard (not suggesting you have forgotten, just highlighting!)

A quick look at the forecast suggests a statutory suspension is not far away, which will make life interesting on our shoot.

hi,

it makes sense really doesn't it.
why shoot a bird with no meat on it.....
3/4/5 days of inadequate eating will make it tough as old boots also
shows we are not just blood thirsty people... and we care

atb frank

Maybe if we could justify it for deer on welfare grounds they would but i doubt it could be done. The bad weather last year had no real effect on my roe deer and that was one of the worst weather systems i can remember. Voluntary aproach is the best we can hope for.

Maybe if we could justify it for deer on welfare grounds they would but i doubt it could be done. The bad weather last year had no real effect on my roe deer and that was one of the worst weather systems i can remember. Voluntary aproach is the best we can hope for.

your deer are like the town foxes they are that domesticated they eat from the bins
thats why you never seen any difference in body weights:rofl:

If you are suggesting not going out during bad weather how will you spot the animals that are not coping.

Surely that alone is a welfare issue and any animals that can't cope should be culled to end suffering.

If you are suggesting not going out during bad weather how will you spot the animals that are not coping.

Surely that alone is a welfare issue and any animals that can't cope should be culled to end suffering.

Who said they weren't going out,Dorset is a bit different from up here pal,at least 3ft of snow here,you are right though poor doers should be taken,however taking them can have an adverse effect on the ones you don't take,move them on therefore need more food to replace energy in moving in first place,everyone has different ideas,up to individual,they know their deer better than next lad:confused:

Wolverine has it bang on were you find deer when the weather is really bad is were there is most shelter and food. To go and shoot one that looks down will chase the rest on to unfavourable ground and they might not come back for days .Leave them and pick up any bad ones when things get beter.

Back