Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dry firing

Question dry firing

dry firing does it damage the rifle?

Try here, only a few posts old and lots to read.....
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Depends on design.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Depends on design.
    what design is not advisable to dryfire?
    i no its not good for a shotgun but always was told its ok in a rifle!
    would appreciate your knowledge.

As I say it depends upon design. Some rifles are not as robust as others. I would not be dry firing a Ruger No1 too much as I am not sure about the pin hammer relationship so why risk it. Same goes for soem lever action rifles. The locla gun club seems to have a rifle out of commission regularly while they await new a firing pin. He had trouble gettign one for a Winchester for some reason. I believe they have had some breakages on Marlinsa s well.

Shotguns are not good for dry firing due to the way the firing pins arcs through the breech face. Some rifles like break action single shots or those built on a shotgun type action are also not suitable for dry firing. I am not sure abotu a lot of the modern designs as I have little experieince with them.

Centrefire generally ok with a few design exceptions (as Brithunter has already mentioned).

Rimfire - no way!

"There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

yes im taking about centrefire sak 85 by the way,i see a lot of rifle instructors say dry fire as much as pos as a matter of practice and to get use to the trigger pull.
    might be just as well to use a snap cap?

Snap caps are not a bad idea just make sure they are light as a heavy, say solid brass one may strain the extractor/ejector. Remember they were designed to tackle empty cases in the main. Drill cartridges usually had alloy or wooden bullets to reduce this risk.