Available: Two Park Trophy Red deer stags available.

There were plenty of times when I wished this thread would draw to an end; thankfully it didn't. Ken, I have enjoyed reading your posts and will now have to track down some copies of Stalking magazine. The site is much richer thanks to contributions from members such as yourself and Stag1993. Hope that doesn't sound to fawning!

Last edited:
Bring it on Moonraker ! It's Christmas seasonal madness coming on. Some of the fellows will be asking for presents of sickbags and might close this part of the thread down - given 'calf' a chance.

Its simply that I had an opportunity to write as I saw it, and I was lucky to have some sort of an ability to use words, despite my limited education. It was a privilege to put into black and white the fundamentals which make most nature-loving men and women tick so I went for it. (And it was Richard Prior who recommended me to the editor before the magazine got under way. Thanks for opening a door Richard, you not only know your subject inside out, but you have a generous soul.)

There were times when the grenades came lobbing over and that's inevitable. It's not nice - but when you dare to stick your head over the parapet - - - - - -- . There's plenty excellent stalkers out there who could gift you all with a whole heap of knowledge - if they could be bothered - or took the time to string words together; writing and re-writing thousands of words by hand in the wee small hours when others were having a beer or snoring during the bad weather.

All the best. Ken.

Here is a picture of a Stag outside the Applecross Inn

IMG_0031.jpg

My Husband sent it to me the other day when he was Hind stalking and doing some DSC2 witnessing of the estate stalkers.
He has some more pictures from Applecross but they are on his main camera once he gets back from the Hinds I will try to post them.

'Probably swam over from Skye - waiting for opening time ! 'Amazing the things we think-of with hind-sight !

The stalker who had slipped through the net for his part 2 was, I think, off to a sheep market that day, some twelve years ago, and obviously never bothered since. His father - uncle - and grandfather were all Applecross stalkers hill shepherds and Kenny walked the ponies back over to Applecross across the hills to me, some 12 miles and during a thaw, when he was still a young lad. He thern walked back home again after a meal.

He was immersed and living sheep and deer when he was still cutting his first teeth, but he's still only become a 'qualified' stalker in his 47th. year !

Was that you Kenny or the stag swiming from Skye!

Kenny must of known his stuff as they didnt go out until after 10 and hubby rang me from the Larder at about half three saying they were all done, 3 ICR's all done and written up.

And 7 hinds in the larder to boot!

Hello CAM. This is the retired Ken writing this, now living round the coast. The one I wrote about was Kenny Cameron.

Getting in-to and dotting cull hinds is as commonplace to the likes of him as a bus conductor shelling out tickets. Heck - it's been his job for thirty years of his life.

Now IF you can get the noble Kenny to write ANYTHING, it will be a job well done. He was the despair of his teachers, and all he ever thought about was sheep and getting into scrapes when he was a boy.

Back