Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reynard Wandered Into My Yard

Reynard Wandered Into My Yard

And didn't wander out.

(I thought I'd try the "European pose" here at SD. )

This fox was snooping around my various and sundry animal parts that are laying about when Tucker (my Scottie) 'lit up'. One 60-grain SSS from the Ruger .10/22 at 60 paces and I have a very nice, prime fox in hand. It is so nice, that I may have it 'stuffed'.

I will point out that once again, the SSS was "too much bullet" for the animal. I didn't care for the performance of the 60-grain SSS on rabbits and hares in Colorado when I first got the new 1:9 twist barrel. Unless shot in the head, they would run far enough, 5 to 10 yards, to get under a bush. In comparison, lighter-weight high velocity bullets, dropped them 'dead right there' (DRT) even with body shots. The reason being of course that the HV bullets drop more energy in the animal, whereas the heavy 'solids' just poke on through. That's fine if you WANT to "track" them, but I prefer DRT to a "good blood trail". In the case of this fox, it ran about 20 yards, and for a moment I thought I had missed. Then the 'damage' took effect and it pin-wheeled into the snow.

This bullet is truly a "hammer", but only for 'substantial' targets. I may have to start hunting moose with it.

Account Suspended
    Bonnie Scotland
    European pose?

Nice, you could always just tan the skin and .....wear the fox hat.

I'd be very careful of using a .22 on Moose though, far too prone to ricochet, very dodgy near skylines
    Last edited by Tamus; 02-12-2010 at 22:26. Reason: o

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    European pose?

Nice, you could always just tan the skin and .....wear the fox hat.

I'd be very careful of using a .22 on Moose though, far too prone to ricochet, very dodgy near skylines
    Based on what I have seen here at SD, the 'normal trophy pose', especially for deer, is to have the camera's point of view looking at the back of the animal with its head turned round facing the camera. There are certainly many that don't do that, but if I had to guess, I'd say I've seen more like than not, especially by those that take the time to pose their animals. I don't know that I've every seen an animal posed that way in a "trophy" picture in The States.

With regard to the hat, I don't know if you're referring to the "trappers hat" like these but I'm not one much for that sort of flamboyance.

While I know you're joking about the moose, (as I was), I doubt if this bullet would ricochet off bullet-proof glass if it hit at a 10 degree angle. It has a tendency to go through things, not 'around' them.

Account Suspended
    Bonnie Scotland
    Sorry, my puerile humour... and I momentarily forgot you're Croatian/Irish (In Alaska)

You said European, we're far to parochial for that... Well, I am at any rate.

The next line, of my first reply ended... Wear the fox hat <---- Say it slowly and add the question mark

BTW, I notice that you say, in another place, (words to the effect that) .338Win-mag is a fairly well balanced Moose calibre...

...and that girly looked very attractive, but not so happy with the stuffed Tod on her head methinks.

Hi paul,
    Talking about the Aguila sss 60 grain I made a die set, after seeing the idea on rimfire central (Neil Waltz?). It will make a nice dished meplat or a hollowpoint (made a lot of different punches to play with!) this transforms the sss bullet into one with reasonable expansion and deadly on grey tree rats!

Tamus - I can be 'a little slow on the uptake' sometimes.

j0e_bl0ggs - I BOUGHT Neil Waltz's (actually I got "DRocks', not Neil Waltz's), die set you mention you saw on rimfire central. I did perform some precision comparisons after repointing some SSSs, but no terminal performance comparisons. The need to get this shot off quickly precluded getting one of my reformed bullets loaded. In this case, due to the primeness of the pelt, I'm glad it did just go through-and-through.

I was going to start a thread on that device, the repointed bullets, and the precision comparisons, but I thought "Hollow-pointing" bullets might be illegal in the UK and some people might get their noses bent out of shape if I posted anything about an illegal activity associated with firearms. Assuming that's not the case based on your comments, here are some pictures of my repointed SSSs.

From left to right - Hollow-pointed - hollow-point-and-post ala the HydroShok bullet - blunt - and blunt with hollow point.

I'll start a thread in Reloading, Ballistics & Technical Data and present the target results from my rifles.

Last edited by gitano; 09-12-2010 at 17:03. Reason: Correct Neil Waltz vs DRock

Paul, that has to be the most red coloured fox I have seen for a while!, an absolute beauty!.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Y'know what surprises me, finnbear270, is the similarity of the the red foxes in the British Isles with those here in Alaska. I assume you folks have the "cross-fox" color variation? Red Fox (Cross Fox Color Variation)
    It's about the only variation to color (outside small, animal-to-animal differences) we have up here other than melanistic. I was amazed to see the video of the albino.

I've made the decision to have it mounted. Now I'm trying to decide whether a "pouncing" pose A young kit fox practicing...: Photo by Photographer Paul Bratescu -, a "sleeping" pose A Close-Up Portrait Of A Red Fox Sleeping Stock Photo 6062701 : Shutterstock, or a "plain walking" pose The Canidae Family Foxes and Basal (third image down of red fox). None of 'em will be 'cheap'.

Since I have the time, I intend to make a photo-essay of the process of 'disassembling' this fox. Would such an essay with 'bloody images' be acceptable at The Stalking Directory?

Took the skin to a taxidermist this afternoon. Lifesize fox mount - $1300.

$75 to tan...

So I'll start the skinning photo-essay. I'll go 'easy' until I hear otherwise, and the admins need not be concerned that I will get my nose out of joint if these images are deemed unsuitable for The Stalking Directory.

If meat and ambient temperature aren't an issue, I like to wait about 24 hours post mortem before I skin a critter for the hide. This allows the blood to coagulate and it makes for a bit less blood and keeps the hide cleaner. If I can (and I can this time), I take as many pictures as I can for the taxidermist. Gives him a good idea about what the critter really looked like, and shows him that I'm 'serious' about what he does. Pictures are a springboard for discussing my expectations.

So, here are some pictures...

I'll start with pictures of the head. Here are some close-ups of the eyes and vibrissae.

This shows the spatial relationship of the ears to the head, and the coloration:

Here is the throat and view of the head from below:

Here's the left side of the head:

And a close-up of the left side of the muzzle. Many taxidermists can't get canid muzzles right. Pictures like these help.

Here are three of the teeth and one of the nose:

Here is the top of the right front foot splayed out to show the toes and claws:

And the bottom of that same foot:

Here's the top of the whole front foot:

And both front legs from the elbows down:

Here's the series for the hind foot:

Here's the view of his belly 'top to bottom':

And here are close-ups of lower, middle and upper ventral:

Here's a picture of the scrotum. This is another area taxidermists don't often do correctly.

So it's time to start peeling him. Being right-handed, I almost always start on the inside of the right rear leg. Here it is before the first cut:

And here is the first cut:

This continues until the foot is exposed below the Achilles tendon:

At that point, the ankle can be disarticulated and the foot completely skinned down to the base of each claw.

Next I move on to skinning out the rest of the right leg up to the center of the small of the back and on up to the front leg.

The skin in peeled back down to the front foot below the wrist, and the same basic procedure is used to skin down to the base of the claws.

At that point, I peel the skin back to the backbone from the back of the head to the tail.

The other side is done the same with a couple of added tasks. The penile sheath is kept intact but the penis removed. (I'll show the baculum after I have it cleaned and boiled.) I remove the testicle from the scrotum without slitting it. I sever the tail between the two caudal vertebra closest to the pelvis and I cut the skin away from the anus leaving the ENTIRE anus attached to the skin.

I shot the fox on the right side right behind the shoulder. Here's the entrance wound:

Here's the exit wound. If you are careful, and you've waited for the blood to coagulate, you can skin around an exit wound and not have blood "all over the place".

I've reached my quota of images in a single post, so I'll close this one and start another.