Thread: Bullet Conditioners

Bullet Conditioners

I have read that you can improve Barrel life and have better ballistics if you use bullet conditioners such has SPL and KG 7 Moly Armorkote powders (Shooting Times).
    Does anyone have an opinion on this ? I dont want to start useing this stuff unless i get some feed back off more experienced shooters.

Some shooters have aluded to corrosion occurring beneath Moly coat residues in the barrel, don't know how much truth is in this as I won't use it.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks for the quick reply mate will think about that...

I have read that moly coated bullets line the bore with a film of lubrication, used it in my 223 and found it did improve grouping slightly, then read an article posted in I believe Border Barrels that when moly coats a cold barrel and when it warms up and sweats a form of acid is produced which etches the barrel. Also have read that when moly is used, a progressive build up occurs that is VERY difficult to remove and forms a hardened ares within the barrels, don't know if its true on either of the above, but moly appears to have fallen out of favor, all this is from memory of posts from some time ago on here and other websites, so I stopped using it. deerwarden
    Last edited by deerwarden; 04-12-2010 at 18:29. Reason: poor spelling

There are a variety of coatings/'conditioners' "out there" today. Most of the bullet-makers that decide to coat their bullets are going to coating like those found on Nosler's Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertips (CTBST). They don't leave noticeable residue in the barrel because they are 'bonded' to the bullet. However, my personal experience with bullet 'coatings' has shown no improvement in velocity, barrel wear, or reduced chamber pressure. I think these treatments are of the kind from which only the highest-level competitive shooters can realize any benefit. In that arena, the smallest improvements can be useful. In the stalking woods, microscopic improvements are overwhelmed by other factors out of control by the shooter.

I use bullets such as the CTBSTs, but not because I WANT the coating - rather it is just already 'there'. If it wasn't, I would still use the bullets. For what it's worth; I do NOT add any 'conditioner' to my jacketed bullets.

Your mileage may vary...

I'll second that. Moly Coated bullets were all the rage for NRA Hi Power (600 yard) shooting a decade or so back and then they were found to be more trouble than they were worth. Moly Coated factory bullets are hard to find, relatively speaking, these days.~Muir

Not sure if I told the tale of the .243 P-H 1000 std I picked up then returned. The previous owner was using the Hornady 58 Gr Moly coated ammunition and it seems didn't know how to clean a rifle. He was so I am told an under keeper on a famous estate well I could see it needed cleaning in fact I have never seen such a filthy rifle and it took nearly a day to clean the outside and nealy three days to clean the bore. At the muzzle the bore was almost smooth yep there was that much moly fouling in the bore. After much scrubbing soaking and even boiling out I got the stuff mostly out and discover yep a pitted bore. The bore had fine pitting down it but it shot quite well after cleaning I didn't try it before, didn't see the point, I got almost a teaspoon of crud and bits of pine needles out of the receiver locking recess as it seems his idea to protect it was to slather it in grease after I got the outside dried on grease cleaned off it was then I discovered the brazed back on bolt handle yep he had somehow managed to snap the bolt handle off about half way up. On closer examination the bolt cocking cam was seen to be all burred. Thought the bolt lift was a mite harder than normal so that was the final straw.

It was now obvious that someone had been experimenting with very hot loads and there was no way I was keeping it. I couldn't feel that the lugs had been set back but it's a possiblitly.

That was covered by dried on grease and crud so it was not noticable .

Thanks for the Info ! I will NOT be using the coating on my ammo. Shows you once again its good to be part of a Forum like this.....

I stand ready to be corrected here, but I seem to remember the stuff is Molybdenumdisulphide, sounds a bit iffy anyhow? sulphides????
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

It's an industrial cutting fluid. Blue-black and gets everywhere. Seriously not worth the effort. Some of my competitive shooting buds are sorry they ever touched the stuff. Two have AR-15 Match barrels that they scrapped after MolyD usage.~Muir