Good scope for Sako Quad .17HMR?

RED-DOT

I have a variation in for .17HMR and i like the look of the Sako Quad... any problems with these pricey rifles and what scope does the job on foxes in low light? Thanks.

RD

I was told by a gunsmith that paying a lot of money for a rifle in this particular calibre did not always result in better accuracy to justify the extra expense. So, following this surprising advice from the trade on NOT spending more dosh, I was lucky enough to pick up a year old CZ from Jammiedodger on this site. Heavy barrel 20''. He had a trigger kit fitted, an AGS 8-32x56 Tactical scope (under £200 new) fitted and a SAK moderator. He even threw in 300rds of ammo and left the Butler Creek neoprene sling on it. £375. I never even haggled at this price.

I have now fired a few rounds at a target and cannot see any benefit at least in accuracy in spending more money as on a still day at 100yds this easily shoots 'pinky nail' groups. I was told that this particular rifle is not fussy to what brand is put through it either.

A keeper friend uses the Ruger and it is also a cracking looking piece of kit. I did look at a few rifles during the summer including the Sako and agree they look superb and are well made, I just couldn't justify the expense for a varmint rifle.

Back to your question though, again for a rifle like this I'm too tight to shell out on very expensive scopes and although it has not been used other that at targets, i was very impressed with this scope. Clear, precise adjustment on turrets etc. My 2 young lads aged 8 & 9 have both had a shot and in their word, 'cool...', 'that's the biz dad...'. The youth of today!!!

Last edited:
x2, same scope (AGS 56 obj Tactical) for low light conditions on both my 17 , 22H & 223 with superb results , & a bargain price.

i have the sako quad in 17hmr and have the 22lr barrel, wish i had never got rid of my 2 cz's, it was not worth the money or the hype,in fact i am looking at selling the unused 22lr barrel and getting a cz 22lr again, if i could get 2 nice czs for mine i would do it in a flash,

bob.

scope is a NSP 4/12x50 duplex.

Ive CZs in .17HMR and .22LR both the dogs I wouldnt swap them....17 cost me £215 and the .22 £195 and thats all in scope. mod. rifle and at least 2 if not 3 mags....17 has hawk glass and the .22 has a fixed mag bisley and both do a good job.

Save your cash get a CZ and blow the rest on loose women....Or a few extra outtings on the deer

I have a CZ .22 and .17 with 3 x 9 x 42 scopes as an all the time always been there - never use anything else

I recently purchased few days ago a secondhand Hawke 30mm Eclipse IR scope off of here and for low light with low mag I was astounded with the clarity and with the coloured dot green or red it has been a delight to use

I would put my hand up and state that until I had this one I wouldn't ever use a hawke (air gun fodder) scope on anything, until this one turned up.

for twenty quid short of 200 pounds you can get a cracking scope The one I use on my HMR is faultless, even looking to buy another for the .22 for the low light thingy, alright its not like S&B, Swaro, Zeiss but neither is the price a cracking scope and a reasonable price - i didn't think I would be saying this about a hawke scope but I am impressed with the one I got secondhand as well

For the rifle I would say save some money and buy a CZ. Then use the money saved on the gun and put it towards some good glass, if you want low light performance. I have an 8x56 Schmidt & Bender on my HMR as I do on my 6.5x55 for low light performance it can make the difference between having to use a lamp or not if you want to use it on Foxes.
But if you want a small foxing calibre consider a .22 Hornet very under rated gun and dirt cheap to reload. My mate has one and I have been impressed with it.

Another vote for the CZ. One of the most accurate 17HMR's I ever shot was a $199 (US) Marlin 917 so money isn't always the determiner of accuracy. Much is based on the particular lot of ammo.

I would agree also about the Hornet. I have a CZ 527 American and there is none finer.~Muir

i have a zeiss 6x42 on my sako quad. its probably true that it is no more accurate than a cz but i had mine fingernail grouping at 50metres almost straight out of the box. i also like the build quality.

i have a meopta 6x42 with ballistic reticule on my CZ 22lr.

Had a ruger 10/22 before this and would not change back. Trigger creeps but can be fixed easily and cheaply if it is an issue.

Quick safe shots on bunnies it canny be beat.

Annie 1517 here, but only because the price was within £50 of a new CZ at the time.
I have had a CZ and it worked just as well as the Annie, just prefer the Annie build quality and finish.
Scope is a Nikon ProStaff in 2-7x32, but will be upgraded to a Swaro 3-9x36 when funds allow.

Neil. :)

Like the snow here, my aspirations for a Sako Quad are melting....

the reason i went for the sako is that there isnt that much of a price jump between it and a cz. cz's used to be a bargain but i think that they are a bit expensive brand new.

***Hi there I have for sale one Sako Quad Varmint in absolute MINT condition .17 HMR walnut stock, outstandingly accurate gun, not even run in fired about 50 rounds! As new, still in original box. Birchwood Casey Coppertect gun slip, Harris bipod 6-9" and sound moderator spare mag and all instruction manuals. £675***

Without even trying the above was the first advert I found on another forum. As I said earlier, my whole mint condition second-hand CZ kit including scope etc was £375

You taking off another layer RD...???

cheers jamross, good to see that sako's retain their value;):D

Ha, Ha... :lol:

If I had the spare cash, I would buy a Sako too. Just rather invest the dosh in what I use the most which is deer rifles. Nice to own nice things but not necessarily 'better'???

Ha, Ha... :lol:

If I had the spare cash, I would buy a Sako too. Just rather invest the dosh in what I use the most which is deer rifles. Nice to own nice things but not necessarily 'better'???

Right decision. Would be great to ahev the best quality rifle adn scope for each type of shooting but not all of us can justify the expense. Especially when the CZ will do exactly what the Sako and Annie will. Every time I take mine out it puts a smile on my face (I wait for the comments back on that one!!!)

Enjoy!!

Annie 1517 here, but only because the price was within £50 of a new CZ at the time.
I have had a CZ and it worked just as well as the Annie, just prefer the Annie build quality and finish.
Scope is a Nikon ProStaff in 2-7x32, but will be upgraded to a Swaro 3-9x36 when funds allow.

Neil. :)

Sadly I believe Edgar Bros have really got their claws intot eh CZ's and most of the price is pure mark up for the greedy bar stewards :mad:. When I was looking for a new CZ452 some years back I went into my local, then, gunshop which was F. A. Anderson of East Grinstead and had a look at them. John the chappies in there who was helping me got several out and I was trying to determine between them. Deluxe, normal which has the best wood, which ahs the best trigger. You know the score and whilst we were talkign I have a look down the rack and low and behold found a beautiful Brno Model 2 in like new condition. This has the straight comb and not the hogs back stock and the bluing is deep and glossy and the trigger is liek a match one so it followed me home instead of a new one.

BrnoNo2LHS.jpg

BrnoNo2RHS.jpg

No2proofmark.jpg

That's the Leupold M8 Compact 4x sittign in vintage P-H rings.

The rifle was made in 1965 and looks like it's new not over 40 years old and I paid about £25 less then than the CZ452 was new and I think I got the better deal. I'll put this build quality against any Anshutz ;) the stock might not be quite as good walnut as found on some Annies but it's not poor. The rifle shoots very well indeed and I just could not bring myself to chop the barrel and have it threaded which is why the older BSA Supersport five got cut instead.

A short time after this Edgar Bros whacked £100 on the price of the CZ's :-|.

I have an old model 2 brno too. Is the 65 stamped into your action and barrel indicative of the year of build or is that coincidence? I have no idea whern mine was made but if its that easy I can look:idea:

Back