SHOOTING OVER LAND!

Trapper

I have a dilema
I have a verbal agrement to pop bunnies, and a verbal to pop foxes on a piece of land! owned by a local the farmer. I am happy with this.

PROBLEM
when I ask him for written permission he just says its ok to pop away, and he will vouch for me !!!What if he has an off day and the Plod are nicking my guns for tresspassing or poaching ,I havn,t got a leg to stand on me thinks!!!
Any thoughts.
As much as I want to get stuck in threre ! I want to stay legal, any thoughts appreciated .
Trapper

shooting over land

Hi Trapper, Pete E is correct when he says the law for rabbit control is different to other vermin?game shooting. I had a farmer who was a tennant whose landlord did not like shooting. He had a rabbit problem and needed them cleared. I made a few enquiies and as I understood it the tennant could shoot over his land and could authorise one other gun to do the same, this right did not extend to pigeons etc: He could also give permission to any number of persons to ferret (no guns) at any time. Down here we dont have much police interest in what we do. If I were in your situation I would prepare a very brief note for the farmer to sign, if he refused then an option may well be to approach the police and explain your position. I have done this myself in the past and always found them ok. It may mean you advising them when you are likely to be about, but this is better than no shooting at all. Good lu :) ck.

I think it's the Ground Game Act that covers this one guys, the occupier of the land can shoot rabbits or authorise his agent to do so for him..
Think that is it Steve may know better than me on this one

Am I correct in saying that the farmer has a legal responsibility to control rabbits and other crop-destroying vermin, but no responsibility to control fox?

Trapper,

The easiest would be for you to write the letter - simply To whom it may concern - I give permission for Trapper to shoot rabbits with his .22rf rifel on land that I occupy at.............. Your sincerely - friendly farmer.

And say that you would like him to sign it so that you can confrim to the police that you have a good reason for holding the rifle.

Most farmers are too busy / have no inclination to do any sort of deskwork - and have a pen with you to sign and a botlle of whisky to thank him for his efforts.

Heym SR20

Under the Ground Game Act the farmer will have the legal right to control rabbits or nominate someone, preferably in writing to do so.
Legal right and legal responsibility are not the same thing.

HWH.

Thanks , again guys for your input, I will sally forth with my letter this chap was in fact impressed that I broached the subject of safety, etc Because he has a number of Public footpaths on his land . So I meet up with him next week to do the deal , am I chuffed. (Will also take my level one qual) just to Whet the appetite!!!. OK perhaps later on ,sorry Buck fever kicking in there!! :lol:
But seriously thanks to all for sound advice.
Trapper.

I spoke with a local BASC rep, and he has told me that landowners are Duty Bound to control rabbits on their land.

How would you like it if you owned land next to a farmer that allowed thousands of rabbits to hop through the hedge and destroy your crops, and hop back through to safety

They can be prosecuted by DEFRA, and I would imagine by private prosecution as well.

I believe that is also the case with deer if the populations get unchecked by a heighbouring farmer. Not that this happens very often though.

shooting over land

I had a case a few years ago when a local householder with a garden of about 2 acres refused point blank to take action against the vast rabbit population that lived there. The smallholder next door contacted DEFRA who contacted the householder and informed her that unless she allowed myself or someone else to reduce the numbers they would do the job themselves and charge her accordingly. It wasn't the ideal situation but she agreed to let me ferret the land and we took something like 130 rabbits off it. Shortly after myxy arrived so the numbers were minimal. DEFRA will act and ensure control of troublesome rabbits if they are causing a nuisance to neighbouring land.

Bunny pop land secured and I move on to the next mountain , thanks for all your advise guys / ladies , got there in the end , and not a scratch!to show., and its mine all mine :D :lol:
Trapper

Its the 1956 Pest Control Act - you have to keep the things under control.

In Scotland, the SDC can send peple onto your land to shoot the deer if it gets out of hand.

S.

Back