Goose Decoys

HoyBoy

Ok i'v been at the geese a fair bit the last few days, i have a hide set up and i think i need to get a few decoys. Im thinking i'l just use a few geese which i'v already shot, i'm gonna prop them up with some wire so they look alive. Anyone else done this before? will it work?

I have used that technique loads of times, also when i have been clattering the pigeons. It works a treat. Cheers Rich

I believe years ago the old boys down on the Wash used to do just that, also sitting them flat on the deck with head and neck over their backs so they look as if they're sleeping, I suppose it gives incoming birds confidence.

Think iot will work fine. If you can get some full bodied decoys too then you can mix them up. Me and a mate have 10 between us which work a treat (not cheap though). Yopu can also buy the bad type which are cheap and quite effective.

I have used decoys, but somewhere in the back of my mind I can here an old boy telling me not to use ones you have shot. I have add pigeons to a pattern as alot of people do with good results.

Let us know how you get on, obviously after the ban is lifted. Are you shooting them over the fields there?

Last edited:
It will be reviewed after 7 days, so can be lifted early.

I would bet your bottom dollar if any one was to blatantly breech the ban then organisations such as BASC may ban you, maybe even the possibility of having your s/g fac certificates revoked by firearms licensing.

I think a lot of people may doubt this last statement but if you consider this ban is a statutory then acting in defiance of this would indicate you are not a responsible person.

The birds are in poor condition our way now anyhow.

I believe years ago the old boys down on the Wash used to do just that, also sitting them flat on the deck with head and neck over their backs so they look as if they're sleeping, I suppose it gives incoming birds confidence.

x2 on that ,it works a treat, & also pop one way down the bank/ field as if it comming into land in the coys direction..wings /neck out . Good luck

I didn't here about the ban until the 10th when i read the local paper and obvuously havn't been shooting since. does anyone know if the ban is to be lifted in the new year?. greylag geese are vermin here in orkney, i do not care what condition they are in as long as they are either dead or destroying someone else's grazing not mine. The situation is getting rediculous, i reckon there were at least 1200 of them on a single 8 acre patch of turnips one morning.

Here's one to try when shooting under the moon.

Take some white hessian sacks and cut triangles out of them with each side being about 8" long
Stick a piece of bamboo or any other stick through one side and push em into the ground
the silhouette is similar to that of a pinkies ar5e and pulls them in really well

Ive had pinkies almost land on my head using these

Best of luck

Tony

I didn't here about the ban until the 10th when i read the local paper and obvuously havn't been shooting since. does anyone know if the ban is to be lifted in the new year?. greylag geese are vermin here in orkney, i do not care what condition they are in as long as they are either dead or destroying someone else's grazing not mine. The situation is getting rediculous, i reckon there were at least 1200 of them on a single 8 acre patch of turnips one morning.

The ban was renewed on the 24th and is to again last 14 day but getting reviewed after the 7 day mark.

You'd have thought that since they are such a problem up there the may have made and exception but hey ho when would sense ever come into this sort of thing.

Me and a few friends fancied a trip up your way at the geese, have you got any pointers on where to go?

Yea i might try and get a licence indeed if it aint expensive. The snow has gone for now and the geese are more spread out again over the grass fields but when there was snow cover they seemed to stay in one huge flock and were causing a lot of damage on the 2 fields of turnips we have if they werent scared off with a few blasts from the shotgun regularly ;). Yea Ali the more people up here taking shotguns with them the better. You'l find plenty to shoot all over orkney, i think the west part of the mainland probably has the most of them but there all over all of the islands, any where with grass pretty much. You would have no problems getting permission to shoot either most farmers will be quite happy people are shooting them.

ban stays in place until midnite thursday.dont think you will get a licence issued when theres a ban on,but you never no

Back