How do you do it?

RED-DOT

Hundreds of guys on here looking for deer stalking and i was wondering how you get a deer calibre rifle on your FAC without having a written deer lease or ground. My local FLD will on no account allow a rifle for deer unless you have a written contract....

In my case I am currently classed as a recreational/occasional stalker. I had to provide proof of paid for stalks along with confirmation of future bookings. I keep all invoices etc in relation to this. In some senses this was only relevant to the expanding ammunition condition as I am also a full member of my local gun club and therefore have good reason already with regards to the actual rifle.

I would assume the majority of stalking is undertaken by fee paying clients rather than by those with permissions (cull excluded.) All the stalkers I know have thier own rifles. I think if evidence was provided to your local FLD in the form of invoices/receipts etc they would be ok with that.

Paul

Last edited:
You should not need a written contract to get a deer calibre, just reasonable justification. If you intend to buy stalking then you can provide reasonable justification by providing your FLD with a receipt or booking confirmation from the person you have bought the stalking from. I know my local constabulary consdier that as adequate evidence of reason for requesting a deer calibre. Check the guidance on the BASC website.

By complete chance while rummaging through my drawers to find something else (suit you!) I just came across the guidance where that information is contained! Here's the details which you can quote to your FLD if required:

Paragraph 13.10 in Chapter 13 ("Good Reason to Possess a Firearm") of the Home Office Guidance to the Police states "An applicant need not always nominate a peice of land as evidence of 'good reason', but in such cases the applicant may be required, where possible, to provide written evidence, for example from a relevant organisation, a professional pest controller or of a booking to shoot."

Hope that helps.

Ret-Dot- You require to show 'good reason' to possess a deer calibre rifle and this can only be done where you have either land with deer on that you have permission to shoot or a formal lease for deer management.

The Police consider that recreational stalkers who only book a couple of days deer stalking a year can use an Estate Rifle as they do not merit the possession of higher calibre rifles than say for vermin control.

2 ways that you could alter this are :

1. Write to local farmers round Stirling to seek permission to shoot and get access to roe deer- certainly have seen plenty in the fields on the road to Gargunnock. If you get a farm where you have vermin and deer control then you have the good reason for a deer calibre rifle.

2. Join a syndicate and get the Permit Holder to confirm your right to shoot over ground with deer.

The above also assumes that you have the 'fitness to possess' and have 'referees' that will certify this position.

Andy

Ret-Dot- You require to show 'good reason' to possess a deer calibre rifle and this can only be done where you have either land with deer on that you have permission to shoot or a formal lease for deer management.

The Police consider that recreational stalkers who only book a couple of days deer stalking a year can use an Estate Rifle as they do not merit the possession of higher calibre rifles than say for vermin control.

1. Write to local farmers round Stirling to seek permission to shoot and get access to roe deer- certainly have seen plenty in the fields on the road to Gargunnock. If you get a farm where you have vermin and deer control then you have the good reason for a deer calibre rifle.

2. Join a syndicate and get the Permit Holder to confirm your right to shoot over ground with deer.

The above also assumes that you have the 'fitness to possess' and have 'referees' that will certify this position.

Andy

Certainly not the case in my experience, nor in the experience of quite a few friends and fellow stalkers from various police regions.

Andy

Nor in mine, and the guidance provided to the Police by the Home Office (as quoted briefly above) also says otherwise. Perhaps you could explain on what grounding you have based your post?

Andy

I tend to agree, if I was an FLO I don't think I would be satisfied granting a deer rifle on the basis of a couple of days paid stalking a year.
I shall now await as ass whipping from those who disagree !!!

when i put in for a deer calibre i had to provide proof of 4 outings plus further outings booked a few months in advance i ended up having a mentoring clause put on my certificate which has now been removed due to the amount of paid outings i have done this year,atb wayne

"Under section 27 (1)(b) of the 1968 Act, firearms certificates shall be granted by the chief officers of police if they are satisfied that the applicants have a "good reason" for having in their possession...the firearm".

Recreational stalking is a "good reason" to possess a firearm as stated above, simples, so you as the FLO would not have a reasonable reason not to be 'satisfied' on the basis that the applicant only plans to do a couple of days paid stalking a year.

Not an ass whipping, but I do disagree with your view :)

Cadex stand by to get your arse whipped :D

Stalking rifles are no different to any other firearm and according to the guidance it's generally accepted that you should be able to demonstrate that you use them at least twice a year in order to retain them, so in theory the same resoning should apply for aquisition.

Last edited:
in most cases those couple of days a year justify getting your deer rifle. You include your evidence in the application and ideally this will include people you have stalked with or have booked days with and even an future booking.

Should be straight forward

Gents

I notice that all the dissenting posts come from FAC holders south of the border where your Police Forces are somewhat less rigorous in application of the legislation. In addition, the originator of the Post like I are based in Scotland and governed by the Scottish Ministers (not Home Office Guidance) who set the requirements for the respective Police Authorities in Scotland to apply and hence the difference.

FLOs, from my personal experience have advised that periodic stalking is not 'good reason' due to the simple fact that the applicant may have no intention of undertaking future stalking after a couple of outings and cannot provide on-going proof for the need to possess which is the legal requirement unlike a SGC where the Police have to prove you are not fit.

To demonstrate the point, there was a recent post on here where a Scottish FAC holder who was part of a dissolved syndicate had their lease terminated and the Land Agent contacted the Police to advise them of the lease termination whereby the Police force contacted the Holder to advise he would loose his deer rifle if new ground was not obtained within 3 weeks.

So Red-Dot will have to do all he/she can to prove to the Police 'good reason'.

Sorry- Paul our posts crossed, but not my experience with Strathclyde, L&B and Grampian! :)

Last edited:
In addition, the originator of the Post like I are based in Scotland and governed by the Scottish Ministers (not Home Office Guidance) who set the requirements for the respective Police Authorities in Scotland to apply and hence the difference.

I'm sorry firsttimer but I'll have to ask you to explain why you said the above when Strathclyde Firearms Licensing puts the Home Office link on their webpage, which would tend to suggest you are wrong in what you say... please see:

http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/index.asp?locID=583&docID=-1

provide on-going proof for the need to possess which is the legal requirement

Good reason must be shown at the time of an application and will come into possible question at a time of renewal, yes... but... "ongoing proof"... Please refer me to the relevant legislation which bears out your statement as I am unaware of it.

West Mercia may be a bit slow but I'm amazed at how much more relaxed they are than other areas of the country.

In order to get a stalking calibre, I just had to pop round to the office and draw a picture of a deer to prove I knew what one looked like, then draw a red cross on it to prove I knew where to shoot it. Unfortunately, I failed O Level Art and my picture of a deer looked like a cross between a bear and a buffalo, albeit with antlers. Thankfully, my FEO was in a good mood and decided i could have .270W for the deer, .300WM for the bear and a .458Lott for the buffalo...;):lol:

Back