.22 help needed

sir-lamp-alot

recently i purchased a secondhand .22 anshultz from a site member and with the purchase i was given half a box of the old grey boxed winchester ammo which i zeroed the scope in with and was producing raggy holes at 35yrds with and all was good, until i put the new blue boxed stuff through when the rfle was struggling to group at a inch at 35yrds so i changed ammo and have so far tryed remington, winchester xpert, cci and some make from brazil which begins with a A but i cant remember its name but all have failed to give me a grouping below 1" and now i'm stuck as to what to do? i have cleaned the barrel and re-floated the barrel both of which helped my grouping marginally. i also took of the mod but that did nothing to help and have also p.m.'d the chap who sold me the rifle to see what he thinks but any other ideas would be gratfully recived as at the moment anything past 40yrds is a miss :(
p.s. please no bad post's about whom sold me the rifle as i dont belive it's somthing he was aware of and i dont want this thread to become a witch hunt i'm just after some advice

Hi. I mate of mine has an Anschutz .22 that doesn't shoot the new Winchester as well as the good 'ole grey box. He now uses Lapua which seems to perform very well indeed.

DC

P.S. I'll check when I see him mid week - make sure it is Lapua - I think it is.

That does sound very strange from an Annie. I've always fed mine nothing but Eley and it groups in one hole at that sort of range.

recently i purchased a secondhand .22 anshultz from a site member and with the purchase i was given half a box of the old grey boxed winchester ammo which i zeroed the scope in with and was producing raggy holes at 35yrds with and all was good, until i put the new blue boxed stuff through when the rfle was struggling to group at a inch at 35yrds so i changed ammo and have so far tryed remington, winchester xpert, cci and some make from brazil which begins with a A but i cant remember its name but all have failed to give me a grouping below 1" and now i'm stuck as to what to do? i have cleaned the barrel and re-floated the barrel both of which helped my grouping marginally. i also took of the mod but that did nothing to help and have also p.m.'d the chap who sold me the rifle to see what he thinks but any other ideas would be gratfully recived as at the moment anything past 40yrds is a miss :(
p.s. please no bad post's about whom sold me the rifle as i dont belive it's somthing he was aware of and i dont want this thread to become a witch hunt i'm just after some advice

Did you say 'cleaned'? there's the problem! nah, I realise you cleaned it BECAUSE of an accuracy problem. However, that rifle should really accomodate for a far greater range of ammo, I'm guessing there's something else playing into the equation!

Get some eley subs mate. My .22lr CZ produces 1/2" groups at 50yds and 1" group at 100yds.

If you have cleaned barrel and floated it and checked the crown for damage, the next thing I would try is a different scope.

.22lr rifles are very simple tools and there is very little to go wrong.

Try the eley's then try a different scope.

thanks for the reply's chaps i will try and get hold of some eley's and give them a go and there is no damage to the crown, i will also change the scope but i dont think it is the scope but it is worth a go i suppose. any more ideas gladly welcome but what i think is a bit weird is that all of the bullets seem to be producing a grouping of just over 1"

thanks for the reply's chaps i will try and get hold of some eley's and give them a go and there is no damage to the crown, i will also change the scope but i dont think it is the scope but it is worth a go i suppose. any more ideas gladly welcome but what i think is a bit weird is that all of the bullets seem to be producing a grouping of just over 1"

was it cut down significantly for moderator use, and now being shot without?

Got an annie myself. It bugholes eley subs. BUT it's no good changing ammo about. I think it has to do with the lub on the bullets coating the barrel if you change type it has to coat the barrel again. If I'm ammo testing I'll shot a box plinking before I test for groups. FYI mine will NOT shoot winchesters under an inch at 60yds.

Ok, this is the gun that i sold Dan the other week. A couple of points to make clear. The Anshutz is the 1451 model and is totally standard. The barrel has never been cut down or damaged. Dan has PM`d me asking what i used in it. I gave him half a tub of winchester sub sonics and a full tub of Expediter Supersonics. These are the bullets that i`ve used all the time, sometimes stingers but especially the winnies in all of the .22s i`ve had and could actually get hole on top of hole with them. Before i took the rifle down i checked it out with the same tub of .22 subs that i gave him, more to make sure that it worked as it hadn`t been shot for 2 years plus. It shot fine and gave me a good group for the 6/7 shots i had with it.
For reasons that are too long to go through he had to put another scope on it so i maybe think this could possibly be the problem. I`ve tried cci`s and eley`s before but didn`t rate them "at the time anyway" but they may have changed for the better in the time i`ve not been using a .22. I have to agree that cleaning the barrel is something that you don`t do as they get a waxy film from the bullets, especially those winnies.

I`m sure you will be fine with it like has been said, .22`s are pretty simple and don`t go wrong.

ATB

wadas

Hi Lampalot,
not sure how experienced you are so please don't take offence if I'm teaching my mum to suck eggs.

Might be worth checking all the securing screws for the rifle and scope. Then perhaps let someone else shoot with it to see how they get on. I also have a mate with one of these, I'll bounce it off him to see what he thinks.

Good luck, let us know if you sort out the problem.

Buckup.

I have just seen this thread, & read it straight through top to bottom, for my money it has to be the scope, nothing else has been altered, cleaning a .22LR is not a great problem, a handful of rounds it would be back to square one anyway, if another or the original scope is available go to it.

i know you mentioned you have removed the mod but sometimes i have seen slightly loose moderators cause the problems you mentioned?

have you tried setting up on a bench with shooting bags? to really eliminate human error.

Try some decent ammo!
Most of the ammo you mentioned is of dubious quality - Remington, CCI, some Winchester and some Aguila (I presume that is what was tried) isn't of very good quality.
Perhaps it's me but I've noticed that recently ammo that previously I've had good results with is suddenly producing poor group sizes. I thought it was my rifle until I changed back to Eley and got the same tight groups as previously. Several club members have also made similar comments. It seems that quality control has slipped with some manufacturers that is if it was any good to begin with.
Anchutz rifles have excellant barrels and being .22 will never wear out. Yes you may have knocked something or the scope may be playing up but I would certainly try some decent ammunition first.
Having met Wadas I am sure he won't have sold you a pup.

Try some decent ammo!
Most of the ammo you mentioned is of dubious quality - Remington, CCI, some Winchester and some Aguila (I presume that is what was tried) isn't of very good quality.
Perhaps it's me but I've noticed that recently ammo that previously I've had good results with is suddenly producing poor group sizes. I thought it was my rifle until I changed back to Eley and got the same tight groups as previously. Several club members have also made similar comments. It seems that quality control has slipped with some manufacturers that is if it was any good to begin with.
Anchutz rifles have excellant barrels and being .22 will never wear out. Yes you may have knocked something or the scope may be playing up but I would certainly try some decent ammunition first.

Aguila - Eley primed cases..."isn't of very good quality."
I'll remember that when shooting 1 hole groups with it, as for winchester subsonic gave up with them, large velocity spread when shot over chrono. In fact there were regular supersonics in the box!

Aguila - Eley primed cases..."isn't of very good quality."

I think that what you are refering to is the system of priming and not who has actually primed the cases but I may be wrong on that because the ammunition companies are quite incestuous.
Yes Joe I have shot some very good batches of Aguila, surprisingly so considering the price. I have also had very good results from Winchester subsonics in the past, you know the stuff made in Australia. That is why I mentioned only some Aguila and some Winchester and not generalised on all of it, but as for Remington and CCI I simply haven't come across any of their ammo that has been any good at all. That's probably because it's produced to be sold as cheaply as possible for plinkers.
I have also experimented with Geco and RWS, the Geco purely at paper targets. The first batch of Geco was brilliant the next batch was a complete pile of rubbish. The RWS ammo varied considerably depending on type through my rifle. Some produced the tightest groups ever (High Velocity) and some only reasonable accurasy such as the subsonics.
There was a time some years ago when Eley produced only average quality ammo but in recent years I have found them to be consistently among the best, certainly through my CZ.

I am using Winchester subs and the newer blue box stuff is not as good as the old White box was. I tried switchign to RWS and was not impressed at all. Now the CCI velocitor has given me the best accuracy of any Hyper velocity stuff that i ahve ever tried. No I don't use it throguh the moderator as I have more than on .22 L/R rifle and it's useful for reaching out a bit further althoguh it is noisey. CCI Blaser ammo also gives nice tight groups off the bench at 25 yards.

I shoot a lot of Aguila ammunition. (Mexico, not Brazil) I have found the subs shoot equally as well as the Eley Subs. The Aguila hi velocity, 40 grain round is my benchmark ammunition: If a rifle doesn't shoot well with this ammo it probably doesn't shoot well.

Winchester ammunition I won't touch. I haven't found a good box of Winchesters in 25 years tho in truth, I haven't seen a box of subs in some time.~Muir

i have never thought that wadas sold me or will ever sell me or anyone else a bad rifle he is a honest and genuine person hence i never metioned his name in the thread so dont worrie buddy
now for all the other suggestions, all mounts are tight i have had someone else shoot the rifle whom is a 1000yrd benchrest shooter and his groupings were no differnt to mine and it has also been noted that maybe the ammo i'm using is not of a good quality, and yes maybe one or 2 of the types of ammo i have used i wouldnt usually use but i had to give them a try as nothing else was working for me and i will also change the scope and see if that works thank you all for your responses they have been very helpfull and any more will be gratfully recived

Al if you can get hold of lapua or SK who make the lapua subs you should notice a marked improvement and as previously mentioned 22 rimmys perform better with a dirty barrel.

Back