Tikka T3 to Sako 85

Got a T3 and it shoots remarkably well out of the box. I think the 85 allows you to put the safety on before you cock the rifle which is a feature I like. I beleive it is also slightly better built, metal parts where it is plastic on the T3.

All the plastic bits on a Tikka can be replaced by metal aftermarket components.
T3 generally might have a better selection of aftermarket replacements.
I'm just putting myself a T3 light with alternative parts together.
I didn't like the stock and the plastic bolt shroud was cracked already when I got it.
T3's are well built but apart from the plastic bits I don't like the recoil lug design.
Don't know how someone can complain about a remmy design if one compares the two.
edi

Guys, thanks for your input.

Looks like I'll be purchasing a .243 Sako 85 this week, will keep you updated.

Guys, thanks for your input.

Looks like I'll be purchasing a .243 Sako 85 this week, will keep you updated.

A pity as I could have done you a wonderful deal on a complete s/h outfit which has done very little work. [ blued barrel, wood stock and 8X56 illuminated scope on Optilocs ! ]

HWH.

I went from T3 to Sako 85 because I got the chance of a cheap deal.As far as function is concerned I find both guns similar but quality of finish of the Sako is better. The 85 safety is a big improvement. All in all I reckon you will appreciate the higher standard of finish of the Sako 85.

regards

Ordered and pick up next week....

.243 Sako 85 Synthetic Stainless Steel
Zeiss Duralyt 3x12x50 Scope
Thirdeye Spartan Mod
Harris Bipod

I guess it will save space in Santa's sleigh:D

Thank's again for all your input, will keep you posted on the 1st outing out!

I have the same rifle as you, in .243, and so far I have tried 105g Geco and 100g Federal PowerShok. Both group well on paper at 100 yards, and the PowerShok have taken my first four deer.

I have just picked up a box of Privi 100g (the last box the dealer had) just to see how the cheaper stuff shoots. It'll probably be a month before I get a chance to try it though.

Note, this is my first centre fire, I have shot a few more either at the club, or other stalkers' guns, so bear in mind my lack of experience. However, I am delighted with it! :)

I have one in .270 and the Federal fusion seemed to shoot almost as good as my homeloads. I would recommend them to anyone. May be worth holding off for a .243 user's opinion first before buying a batch though.

Well done with the rifle package - You'll have many years happiness with that I expect.

DC

I have the same rifle as you, in .243, and so far I have tried 105g Geco and 100g Federal PowerShok. Both group well on paper at 100 yards, and the PowerShok have taken my first four deer.

I have just picked up a box of Privi 100g (the last box the dealer had) just to see how the cheaper stuff shoots. It'll probably be a month before I get a chance to try it though.

Note, this is my first centre fire, I have shot a few more either at the club, or other stalkers' guns, so bear in mind my lack of experience. However, I am delighted with it! :)

I have also found the powershock to be very consistent, I mention fusion as it's is a good bit cheaper.

DC

John & DC

Thank you for input, it confirms my choice well on the federal brand.

How much are the Federals a box?

This is my 1st centre fire rifle so all input/advice is great.

Last edited:
The marked price on the Federal 100g Powershok where I first bought them was £29 for 20! I got them down a bit though. The best price I was quoted since then was £21 a box but only if I bought five boxes.

I bet the price varies a lot though, you'll have to look around where you are.

I went from T3 to Sako 85 because I got the chance of a cheap deal.As far as function is concerned I find both guns similar but quality of finish of the Sako is better. The 85 safety is a big improvement. All in all I reckon you will appreciate the higher standard of finish of the Sako 85.

regards

I completely agree. I currently have both a Tikka T3 and Sako 85, and have had a couple of Sako 75s. The features of the Sako are improved as are the stocks, but the Tikka represents excellent VFM and it shoots just as well. The triggers feel identical, and the bolt on the Tikka feels smoother. The plastic bits on the Tikka don't bother me at all.

Collected the Sako 85 today but did change my mind on the mod when I heard the difference.

Went for the Northstar mod as it was almost 50% quieter than the Thirdeye Spartan Mod.

Back