Powder scales

j0e_bl0ggs

After looking around for something better than the usual beam scale and wanting to experiment with I found some 0.001g to 20g (units g, ct, gr) on BSbay £16 delivered!!!
Oh and they work!!!!;)

Nice one Alan, they sound the dogs dangley bits, was it a one off sale or are there any more ? What is BSbay or is it a pet name for e-bay ?
By the way got me a skype phone, camera will be next.
Went to have a look at some pups yesterday, was going to have one, ended up putting deposit on two, they will be ready for collection in a fortnights time, well chuffed.....callie

After looking around for something better than the usual beam scale and wanting to experiment with I found some 0.001g to 20g (units g, ct, gr) on BSbay £16 delivered!!!
Oh and they work!!!!;)

Hmmm whilst I glad your happy with your new electronic scales I cannot help wondering how they can really measure any better than a good set of beam scales. I did consider sending for a set of electronic scales as another member posted about them some months back but came to the conclusion that they would not anything better than the beam scales I already have and they don't require batteries.

Brit, got to agree, but scales that go down to .001 of a gram have got to be good and they must be quicker than faffing about with beam scales, my Lee scales are very accurate but I do believe, that, if as accurate as stated ( and I don't doubt Alan unless it's an early April Fools Day wind up)they've got to be the way forward....callie

Hmmm whilst I glad your happy with your new electronic scales I cannot help wondering how they can really measure any better than a good set of beam scales. I did consider sending for a set of electronic scales as another member posted about them some months back but came to the conclusion that they would not anything better than the beam scales I already have and they don't require batteries.

Ok see where you are coming from, I will be checking them for accuracy and repeatability at the weekend, but first impression they are good.
Beam scales have to be set up carefully and for repeatability need to be at a level that does not introduce a viewing error (not wishing to teach one to suck eggs) they also need to be dismantled and stored in a box when not in use. One last point, they are mechanical in nature and the knife edges DO wear out. Cannot say that I'm worried about 4aaa batteries! I was looking for an analytical balance saw these and took a punt...so far so good!!

Callie.... Linky

Nice one Alan, they sound the dogs dangley bits, was it a one off sale or are there any more ? What is BSbay or is it a pet name for e-bay ?
By the way got me a skype phone, camera will be next.
Went to have a look at some pups yesterday, was going to have one, ended up putting deposit on two, they will be ready for collection in a fortnights time, well chuffed.....callie
Good one Pat, let me know when you are up and running!

Hmmm I leave my Lyman scales set up on the shelf where I use them. I do have another set of older C-H non damped scales which are in their box and are used occasionaly to double check the Lyman ones. The laymans take secons to set ;).

Hmmm I leave my Lyman scales set up on the shelf where I use them. I do have another set of older C-H non damped scales which are in their box and are used occasionaly to double check the Lyman ones. The laymans take secons to set ;).
I have RCBS but never leave them set-up.
I do not own anything Lyman so will not comment, but would imagine that a beam scale is a beam scale mechanical and prone to wear & 'gumming' up.
Not having a go! As for the cheap as chips rinky dink scales.... you takes your choice... they work!
cheers!

Brit, got to agree, but scales that go down to .001 of a gram have got to be good and they must be quicker than faffing about with beam scales, my Lee scales are very accurate but I do believe, that, if as accurate as stated ( and I don't doubt Alan unless it's an early April Fools Day wind up)they've got to be the way forward....callie

Callie, as most bench rest shooters measure powder by volume on the range with powder throwers, and use them unchecked by scales, it makes me wonder why one would want to measure to that degree of accuracy when it is proven to be unnecessary for accurate shooting?

ft

Flytie, have only been reloading for a few months and at first had a few problems with the powder thrower until I sorted out a technique, now everything is OK but I still check powder weight every 4-5 throws, it's gotten to be a habit, scales that only measure to a tolerance of 0.1 = + or - 0.1 but could in actual fact be 0.2 out, 1/5th of a grain and going down another two decimal places 0.002 gives me a lesser chance of being out, and checking one set of scales against another there is less chance of any mistakes, and £16 seems very reasonable to me, certainly easier on the pocket than £200 plus and if they only last a couple of years it's easy enough to get another set ...callie

j0e_bl0ggs, there's a set winging it's way from the far flung as we speak, cheers buddy....callie

certainly easier on the pocket than £200 plus and if they only last a couple of years it's easy enough to get another set ...callie

:eek: I swopped my set of C-H scales for a pair of 55W H4 bulbs from an old car I was scrapping and I paid £20 for the Lymans :D.

Flytie, have only been reloading for a few months and at first had a few problems with the powder thrower until I sorted out a technique, now everything is OK but I still check powder weight every 4-5 throws, it's gotten to be a habit, scales that only measure to a tolerance of 0.1 = + or - 0.1 but could in actual fact be 0.2 out, 1/5th of a grain and going down another two decimal places 0.002 gives me a lesser chance of being out, and checking one set of scales against another there is less chance of any mistakes, and £16 seems very reasonable to me, certainly easier on the pocket than £200 plus and if they only last a couple of years it's easy enough to get another set ...callie

Callie, if it makes you happy to measure at those tolerances then any money you spend will be worth it, good on you!!

Personally I have tried my loads out and found that a tenth of a grain of powder difference (+ or -) does not make any difference to my accuracy at 200yds. I have two sets of beam scales an RCBS 505 and a Lee phenolic set, there is no difference between them.

ft

Flytie, your'e absolutely right, 1 tenth of a gr is neither here nor there, it's just that I'm a bit of a stickler for precision, not only that it's another boys toy aint it :rolleyes: ....callie

I bought something similar a while back and found as the batteries started to lose their power the accuracy dropped off by 4-5 tenths of a grain! :eek: ended up de-loading and starting again! :doh: Not saying that yours will do this but remember to verify the odd powder load with the scales as a back-up!

In the end went for a set of digital scales which plugs into the mains and haven't looked back :D

I bought something similar a while back and found as the batteries started to lose their power the accuracy dropped off by 4-5 tenths of a grain! :eek: ended up de-loading and starting again! :doh: Not saying that yours will do this but remember to verify the odd powder load with the scales as a back-up!

In the end went for a set of digital scales which plugs into the mains and haven't looked back :D

I have a set of check weights (not the poo that comes with reloading scales, real calibrated check weights)
I tend to verify the powder measure occasionally when I am reloading too...
eggs
suck
teach!!!

or If you have a mind convert from batteries to wall wart regulated 6v power supply.....:)

Callie, as most bench rest shooters measure powder by volume on the range with powder throwers, and use them unchecked by scales, it makes me wonder why one would want to measure to that degree of accuracy when it is proven to be unnecessary for accurate shooting?

ft

I must agree wholeheartedly. Weighing every charge is about senseless unless circumstances dictate it. With powders like 4350 and 4831 you can be off a solid grain either way and see no difference on target.

When I load 5mm Craig a tenth of a grain is the difference between safe and reckless with some powders.

(There's that circumstance I spoke of.)~Muir

(Ohaus Dial-o-Grain for me. Thirty years and never a faltering. No batteries.)

Muir:- having a set of scales that good is like owning a car that will do 150mph, because it says 150 on the speedo doesn't mean that you have to do that speed
A lot of electronic scales on grams will give a reading to 0.1gram which with default, give a reading of +or- 0.1which in reality can be 0.2, or 1/5, and because the scales read down to thousands rather than tenths it will be more accurate when reading tenths or hundredths.
In all probability the scales on the 'grain' scale will read down to 0.01, hundredths, which means when reading to tenths, will be more accurate, if you get my drift....callie :confused:

Muir:- having a set of scales that good is like owning a car that will do 150mph, because it says 150 on the speedo doesn't mean that you have to do that speed
A lot of electronic scales on grams will give a reading to 0.1gram which with default, give a reading of +or- 0.1which in reality can be 0.2, or 1/5, and because the scales read down to thousands rather than tenths it will be more accurate when reading tenths or hundredths.
In all probability the scales on the 'grain' scale will read down to 0.01, hundredths, which means when reading to tenths, will be more accurate, if you get my drift....callie :confused:

Callie, and like speedometers on cars, not all are accurate. You tend to get what you pay for, at least that's what 51.5 years have taught me. The thing with beam scales is as MR Lee so succinctly puts it, " if it's not broken, it's accurate".

ft

Back