Winter wonder land

Jagare

I went out to cut a couple of Christmas trees this morning. I have thousands of trees but its hard to find a decent shaped Christmas tree.
Its snowing again and there is plenty of Moose tracks out in the forest. Several areas of pine had been browsed hard by the moose.
The snow was a bit to deep so i drove out on my trusty tractor and cleared the track out over the forest.
The snow is to deep now to hunt anything with the dogs and as this weather is likely to carry on past the end of the hunting season i think that is it for this year.
Sånt är livet :)

Jagare,

We have a saying in Wales "Eira man, eira mawr. Eira mawr, eira bach" which, in translation reads "Fine snow, big snow. Big snow, little snow". The implication is that fine snowflakes usually mean a good fall is likely whereas large flakes indicate a small fall. We had a lot of eira bach here yesterday!

Attachments

• 18.12.2010 001.jpg
    18.12.2010 001.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 18.12.2010 002.jpg
    18.12.2010 002.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 18.12.2010 005.jpg
    18.12.2010 005.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 26
Jagare

That looks wonderful. I have been lucky enough to have visited many parts of Scandinavia on business and it remains one of my favourite destinations....even if it can be quite expensive to have a drink ;)

Perhaps you might have heard that we had some snow yesterday here in the UK. Not much (by your standards) and not unexpected - it had been forecast all week. Unlike in Scandinavia, our entire infrastructure seems to have gone into a state of collapse :eek:

Being hardy sporting souls we were still determined to get to our game shoot. The day lasted for four drives and then we called it a day.

I was trying to get home from Oxford, a drive which normally takes about 40 minutes. Instead we arrived at home 3.25 hours later. Since Friday I have not seen one gritter, one snowplough.....nothing.

This is one of our main roads (the A40), to show you how well we cope with the white stuff:

18Dec-A40-3.jpg

Embarassing or what.....

willie_gunn

Now that's a lot of snow........................... we have none, zilch, nada :oops:. Forst yes, ice yes but no snow. Oh and we did see a gritter yesterday and shock horror there was one came down our road last week that the second time we have seen a gritter here in 25 years. We can only assume that it was lost. Typically we have also done more miles in thsi fouls wether than we would normally cover in four months. Travelling to the hospital evry day and sometime twice a day is something we are not used to.

Jagare,

We have a saying in Wales "Eira man, eira mawr. Eira mawr, eira bach" which, in translation reads "Fine snow, big snow. Big snow, little snow". The implication is that fine snowflakes usually mean a good fall is likely whereas large flakes indicate a small fall. We had a lot of eira bach here yesterday!

Likewise......

Jagare

That looks wonderful. I have been lucky enough to have visited many parts of Scandinavia on business and it remains one of my favourite destinations....even if it can be quite expensive to have a drink ;)

Perhaps you might have heard that we had some snow yesterday here in the UK. Not much (by your standards) and not unexpected - it had been forecast all week. Unlike in Scandinavia, our entire infrastructure seems to have gone into a state of collapse :eek:

Being hardy sporting souls we were still determined to get to our game shoot. The day lasted for four drives and then we called it a day.

I was trying to get home from Oxford, a drive which normally takes about 40 minutes. Instead we arrived at home 3.25 hours later. Since Friday I have not seen one gritter, one snowplough.....nothing.

This is one of our main roads (the A40), to show you how well we cope with the white stuff:

18Dec-A40-3.jpg

Embarassing or what.....

willie_gunn

Embarrassing ..... yes..... but at least still moving, which is more than other places were doing!

i have to agree that the roads in the uk aren't properly delt with in bad weather compared to our European brothers, but we have rarely had weather like this and therefore aren't geared up for it. the amount of people who are complaining about the snow and ice on the pavements outside there door, and there local street is embarrasing. people must get up off there pamperd arses and for once take some ressponsablity themselves and sort it out. we are far to reliant on the authorites to come to our rescue when things get a bit middling, so much for a stiff upper lip, its seems to tremble everytime a grey cloud shows up:confused:

i have to agree that the roads in the uk aren't properly delt with in bad weather compared to our European brothers, but we have rarely had weather like this and therefore aren't geared up for it. the amount of people who are complaining about the snow and ice on the pavements outside there door, and there local street is embarrasing. people must get up off there pamperd arses and for once take some ressponsablity themselves and sort it out. we are far to reliant on the authorites to come to our rescue when things get a bit middling, so much for a stiff upper lip, its seems to tremble everytime a grey cloud shows up:confused:

But isn't that what I pay £200 a month in council tax for?

Seriously though, I drive a puggy 106 and I've no problems driving through 3" of snow over a normal road surface. I go up to sutherland plently and it's annoying the amount of people that have no idea how to drive in poorer conditions like snow and ice. If you understand and practice how to control your vehicle in the ice and snow it's just another journey even if it's a slow one. My council is pants and as for seeing a gritter in my village that's a rare thing. My dad always said when it snowed to go out and have a play in the car.
P1070124.jpg

Baggy, flask bit of snack munch and the usuals. No problem.

we all pay for the service, but when the service falls short we cant just sit and complain. its not hard to grab a shovel and get out and work up a sweat for the greater good

cowchief

I have no issue getting out and working up a sweat - in fact I've just come in having hand gritted a large stretch of the road into our village. We're fortunate to live in a village that is, in the very real sense, a community. We look after each other.

When it comes to the major roads, and if the service had fallen short I might have understood, but when the service doesn't even exist you have to question why. We knew about this weather coming a week ago yet still they did nothing.

willie_gunn

The tractor is a 1974 model. It still runs OK but when its -8 like it is now i have to have the engine warmer plugged in for about an hour.
The chains are great, i leave them on all year as they are a great help when driveing round the forest. Only got the tractor stuck once and that was with a load of wood on the trailer and doing a bit of extreme off roading.
A chap rung me last night to see if i would go with the dog boar hunting. He asked if the dog could hunt in 40cm of snow. I kindly declined his invite for as much as i like hunting i ain't putting the dogs at risk.
We have to put on winter tyres on the cars from the 1st Dec and they are a great help for getting about.
Its been snowing for the last 24 hours, not a great amount but I'm just off to have a quick wizz up and down the road with the tractor and snow blade before it gets to dark.

+1 on that cowcheif. Maybe we should create a new poster -

GET OFF
YOUR ARSE
and
GET ON!

I went out to the land rover this morning at 05.15, this vehicle has never missed a beat.......only this morning I could hear the fuel pump inside the tank struggling with the waxing fuel, two turning sessions & she finally coughed into life, I was wondering wether to drive off straight away, or wait & see if it waxed up completely, she stayed on a steady beat so off to the quarry........... back home by 10.30.... both loading shovels completely waxed up, (Volvo's)... maybe the shattered Dosko gun case yesterday should have been enough warning???:eek: -18 on the thermometer.

Jagare

willie_gunn

Blimey Dom you did well, we only managed 1 drive & called it a day.

Took the back roads home as all the main routes were jammed, 12 minute journey took 1½ hours due to blocked roads caused by numpteys abandoning cars & stopping on hills & not being able to get going again, towed 3 no problem though.

Cheers
Chris

White out on the shoot, hardy souls or barking mad!
CIMG1678.jpg

Nearly home, very picturesque
100_6248.jpg

The wife's Audi, not going anywhere
100_6222.jpg

Back