8x42 or 10x42

Spoony

Between the 2 which would you recommend and why? Binos that is
TIA

Last edited:
I've only had 3-12 variable or 8x fixed scope, mainly as the mag setting on the variable stayed on 8x until I wanted to see where I'd struck the target when I'd 'zoom' in for closer inspection.

Similarly I've just bought a pair of 8x binos over the 10x. This is because they have a larger field of view, and the general picture seems brighter, and better in low light.

Hope that helps.

DC

I do a lot of woodland lowland stalking and would find it hard to use the 10x mag with out a wee bit of shake but if most of my stalking was open hill ground i might take the larger mag .So for me the option would be 8

I have a Swaro 10 x 42 and Zeiss 8 x 42 binos. the 8's are better in a woodland setting, better low light abilities wide field of view and less fiddling with the focus ring. For the hill or longer range viewing the 10's are a better tool. Having said all that i used the 10's for all stalking for several years before i purchased the Zeiss 8's.
Hope that helps.

Cheers guys ill do mostly forest stalking, but with some big open areas as well, may do some highland hill stuff later. I have some 8x32 which are great for everything, but i struggle when i start to lose the light, would the 8x42 make a real difference?

Spoony get the 8 x 42 compaired to 10 x 32's the difference is quite alot. i have 8x42 and 10x30's both swarovski.
At very low light i can see twice as well with the 42's compaired to the 30's. I woodland stalk and would never take the lighter 8x30's due to lack of definition with low light [ you can see deer but can not see antler] ! you NEED to see clearly .
10 x 42 gives you a smaller field of view less light gathering and are more prone to shake.

i have had 7 x 42 leicas and then bought a pair of 10x 42 el,s .the only problem i find with the 10,s is when your up close in woodland you need to support the binos against the sticks,optic wise they are the buiss.

If you can try them both and buy which suits you best ;).

For me it was 8's but mine are 8x44's that i purchased from the shop in Pulborough Brooks RSPB reserve. Not a make you will have heard of but they have served me well over a number of years now. My mentor uses 10's of Zeiss manufacture, sorry not sure which model, however he is comfortable with them but for myself 10's are too much and despite in theory being able to see the deer better I find as I cannot hold the 10's so well I actually see less.

Getting fitter and building muscle tone up would not doubt help in this but 8x44's is what I have. If I go on the hill and need more then I have a Nickel two draw scope for such use.

Back