Thread: Bullet choice - rabbit, fox & munty in .222 ?

Question Bullet choice - rabbit, fox & munty in .222 ?

My shooting experience to date with C/F has been confined to Soft Point rounds.

For reloading .222Rem I am looking at the Hornady V-Max and Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint bullets, but while they would be suitable for the rabbits and fox and concerned about being humane or actually legal for muntjac ??

Any opinions please.

Cheers + ATVB

Lightyear you really know how to start an argument don’t you. It’s nice to see someone giving the selection of suitable bullets some thought. You are quite right V-Max weren’t designed for use on deer although many people seem to use them, and even claim great success usually because of head or neck shooting. Yes they would be legal but not necessarily humane and there are better bullets about that are purposely designed for deer. They aren’t generally available or stocked for some reason, probably lack of demand. Have a look on the bullet manufacturers websites and you will find the few bullets that are designed for deer use.

I know what you mean, but it is not intentional !!!

It is just that the Sako 50gr SP's I have been using are perfect for fox and muntjac, but tend not to stop when dealing with rabbits !

I love the .222 and aim to reload to bring the cost more into line with the hmr I use for rabbit control, then be in a position to deal with the foxes at the same time and the even more opportune munty !!!

I guess it does just prove the point that there really is no one bullet for all occasions.

Munty's are not very cooperative and rarely stand still long enough to eject a ballistic round while inserting a nice SP !!!

Oh well........

Cheers + ATVB

I'm very fond of my .222 also, and only wish that it was possible to use it for roe in England and Wales, but that's another arguement again.
    I'll have to check but I thought that Sako were one of the companies that actually made suitable bullets for roe?

Just had a look and Sako produce two bullets in .222 for Roe - 50grn Arrow head and the 55grn Game head.

The 50gr Arrowhead would be suitable I think, but finding a retailer selling them is not going to be easy !! A bit like Viht powder it would seem !!!

Thanks for the replies and advice chaps.

Cheers + ATVB

Isn't the arrowhead a balistic tip again?
    The 55gr game head worked really well out of my 223's.

The arrow head is a ballistic tip made by Nosler as you say ejg.

Hmmm I would have thought that the 55 grain Hornady SP would be suitable for Roe in the .222 Rem althoguh i have never used it for such. if I get the oppertunity I would love to though.

The Sako 55 grn Gamehead load in .222 Rem seems to shoot accurately in a variety of rifles and it's no slouch either.

I find the Hornady V-max a devastating round whether it goes into the head, neck or shoulder.

Really taken to them.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!