.22cf for Roe

zaitsev

Guys shooting in Scotland: What are your experiences when using the .22 centrefires?

What bullet do you use? What sort of performance do you get (i.e. damage on chest shots etc)

Do you get more runners than you do when using .243 and above?

Just curious really.

Ta

G

Only had 3 Roe with my 22-250, no runners, I use 55gr Federal Powershok at the moment, then I'll be onto 55gr Remingtons. I would only use soft nose and not ballistic tips, but that goes for all bullet choice from my 22-250 upto when I had my .308

TJ

Owned several .22-250 over the years and like DG never had a problem with it either. In fact given the choice I would shoot all my Roe with that calibre except I put too much money into a custom build to justify more than one rifle just now and it has to be legal for everything. 55grn Sierra SP if you can lay your hands on any.

Thanks guys. Any others want to contribute?

Happy New Year Zait.
For the 20 years or so when only .22cfs were permitted for deer shooting in Southern Ireland I used various cartridges such as the .22/250 , RWS 5.6X57 and the Vom Hofe Super Express 5.6X61 .
Of these the .22/250 was the most feeble although I shot many Sika and some Hybrids there with it.
The law stipulated a minimum bullet weight of 55 grains but I generally used re-loads incorporating the 60 grain Hornady soft-point bullet.
As I was a short range precision shooter and not a long range sniper I found that these Hornadys performed well.
I did shoot some Roe in Scotland using 55 grain factory ammo.
My rifle was a Tikka with a one-in-twelve twist although for a short time I had a BSA CF2 which had a one-in-fourteen twist. It did not like the heavier bullets though.
For Roe sized quarry the .22/250 is a useful cartridge providing a hunting bullet and not a `varmint` projectile is used.

HWH.

I like the .22-250 and have shot many roe in scotland with this calibre,fast and flat awsome round,Just like stag1933 says varmints are a definate no no

I have shot Roe Deer with 223 and had no problems at all. I use 55grn Gamekings loaded using Varget and Remington Bench Rest primers. One of our group uses his 222 to the same effect, the accuracy of both these calibres and easy handling make them ideal for the job.

Guys shooting in Scotland: What are your experiences when using the .22 centrefires?
Do you get more runners than you do when using .243 and above?

I have used a 223 on roe and although I can’t say I had any real problems I believe that any runners did go further than when shot with my 243.

ATB

Tahr

hi
i used sako 222 with 50grn ammo for years culled high numbers
with it and still have it but have used 308 lately
only thing i would say is i noticed quite a bit of bruising on exit
but does the job well enough

I cannot comment on this as I have not used a .22cf for deer. However i have been out with a chap in Scotland when he used his .222 and it stopped roe perfectly and with little damage, I believe he used factory 55gn ammo. However there was another chap on the estate who was using a 22-250 with his patent home-loads and his roe carcass's told a different story.

Now my question is this, do you think the higher velocity .22cf's like the 22-250 leave more blood blistering on the exit side of the carcass to the more moderate velocity .22cf's like the .222, or was this just an anomaly?

Simon

Last edited:
Hmmm I too have not used the .222 On Deer but am interested in this subject and hopefully this year will get the chance to do just that on Muntjac or CWD. Never stalked CWD yet and only seen one in the flesh. Luckily my .222 likes the Sako 55 Grn Game head ammunition as well as a handload using the Hornady 55 Gr Sp bullet.

I cannot comment on this as I have not used a .22cf for deer. However i have been out with a chap in Scotland when he used his .222 and it stopped roe perfectly and with little damage, I believe he used factory 55gn ammo. However there was another chap on the estate who was using a 22-250 with his patent home-loads and his roe carcass's told a different story.

Now my question is this do you think the higher velocity .22cf's like the 22-250 leave more blood blistering on the exit side of the carcass to the more moderate velocity .22cf's like the .222, or was this just an anomaly?

Simon

Excess damage to a carcase with the smaller calibres is generally caused by a projectile `unfit for purpose`.
Many people use `varmint` class bullets which do serious damage.
My Vom Hofe Super Express 5.6X61 was one of the most potent .22cfs ever made by mortal man yet with the Norma 70 grain tip/head/bullet/projectile damage was light but killing capacity was excellent.

HWH.

I use Norma 55 grain soft points in my 22-250, not much damage, I have used the Norma balistic tips and didn't have any trouble although I stick to the sp's so as not to tempt fate.
In the past I've used 222's and again no problems. As far as runners , no difference with a 243 or a 22, a broken leg is a broken leg!

The .222 was my only rifle for my first 10 years stalking and it killed a fair amount of roe deer with out many problems but they will run on a bit if the shot is not precise. You really do need to take heed of the wind with the small .22cf they mover quite a bit. But then i laways had a dog with me.;)

Thanks to all who have replied so far. It seems that the general consensus is that:

a) the .222 and above work perfectly well with a well placed shot

b) there seems to be a couple of posts saying that runners do go a bit further than when shot with large calibres

c) bullet design is paramount

Any more for any more as this is really interesting?

Regards

Gareth

A few years ago there was an article published by Andrew Yool in deer magazine who reviewed his records of a huge number of roe shot with various calibres (somewhere round 1200 deer I think). Basically chest shot roe were slightly more likely to run when shot by the .222 or 243 than larger calibres such as .308, .270 etc.
To my knowlege this is the only published data on the subject

Yes I saw the article by Andrew Yool. It was very useful in some respects but (from memory) I don't think the data stood up to close scrutiny. Can't remember for the life of me why that was as I don't have the article to hand...
Anyone got a spare copy?

Regards

Gareth

Have used a .222 for about the past 10 years & I take quite a number of roe deer every year with it using 55gr Sako Gamehead.

Meat damage is not to bad as long as the shot is in the right place.

I also have a .243 & a .270 that i have shot roe with but my favourite is the .222 very accurate & with a mod on the end the recoil is virtually nill.

It is away at the moment getting a new barrel fitted can't weight to get it back.

John

Back