Would you have taken the shot?

I suppose to be honest it comes down to how confident you are, I know that after being there for that long i would have been shaking like the proverbial. Would i personally have taken the shot ? yes, IF I was steady enough and felt good. If not I would have been grateful for such an experience and watched him on his way.
Lovely buck btw.

atb

Nick.

I would'nt have taken the shot i don't head or neck shoot any deer unless off course the animal was sick or injured and that's the only chance of a shot, id have just let him pass and enjoyed the moment

yes i would have taken the shot from what i saw on the film clip if it was what the rifle could of seen what we had at that range.

I am sure Mark would not allow any guest to take the shot if he was not confident about his guest's abilities. He is an experienced stalker.

Greg

My self no problem !!! if it was a client only if i knew he or she was shooting straight and confident .
Dave.

Nothing wrong with any of it, right up until you hear that bolt racked, & it 's still closed up while handling the beast, maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't hear the rifle being cleared from the follow up condition.

No problems with that. Just as the buck winded them and looked straight at them i thought BANG only to hear the shot and see the beast drop.

Good shot. Cracking buck!

ATB

Rob
243Sako

I was just curious what other members felt, as I've been brought up with the 'broadside - heart/lung' shot being the only acceptable one there is - that is, to ensure minimum chance of a wounded animal due to the size of the vital area.

thanks for your thoughts though:)

I was just curious what other members felt, as I've been brought up with the 'broadside - heart/lung' shot being the only acceptable one there is - that is, to ensure minimum chance of a wounded animal due to the size of the vital area.

thanks for your thoughts though:)

there is nothing wrong with that way of thinking
Heart/lungs can also be taken from a frontal shoot too
but as for the original question about the vid
I saw no problem and would be delighted if all the deer I shoot were taken at that range and were that easy

Now i would not have taken that shot stone looking at the beast he was a youngster with a lot of promise and i would have left him for two more seasons.:drool:

Great looking buck, im sure he blinks though while they are moving his head about about 7 mins into it his right eye.

Now i would not have taken that shot stone looking at the beast he was a youngster with a lot of promise and i would have left him for two more seasons.:drool:

Not as good as first thought
He made a nice 7 pointer that was appreciated thou

IMG_1769.jpg

But compared to some of the guys I see about
this one on the same patch

this one on another bit just up the road

Great looking buck, im sure he blinks though while they are moving his head about about 7 mins into it his right eye.

Well spotted, Spoony. I noticed that too. I won't comment on the choice of shot but would point out that while a bullet to the neck can drop a beast on the spot there is no certainty that it suffers an instant death. Indeed it may lie paralysed for as long as 20" before it finally expires. The blink you see is testimony to that fact. I was taught that fallen neck shot animals should be approached sooner than those shot in the heart and lungs, one hand on the handle of your knife in readiness to draw it, for fear they may require a coup de grace.

I would also echo echo finnbear's comments on making the rifle safe before admiring the carcass.

Back