Thread: Bonjour and Happy New Year!

Bonjour and Happy New Year!

I'm just introducing myself: I live in southwest France and just started stalking - bagged my first roebuck this august (26 kilos, Mauser bolt action, 7x64 Sako Hammerhead), can't wait for next season. I've been trying to get a boar here for the past 4 seasons, but in our commune there aren't all that many, my team gets about 10 a year. We hunt on the edge of the Pyrenees, and we do a lot more climbing than shooting... the commune's big though, about 17,000 acres, so plenty of roe Given the number of deer in the UK I'm almost tempted to move back - but then I'd need to go through all the rigmarole of FAC etc (none of that drivel here)
    Happy New Year to everyone!

I thought buracracy was a french word, it it simple to obtain a rifle in france
    Hope you get a boar in 2011
    Welcome to the site, im sure you will enjoy it
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

I hope I get a boar in 2011 too, but I'm too busy working at the moment to get out, and the season finishes at the end of Jan, so I'm probably buggered... It's extremely easy to get a rifle in France, there are no shotgun or firearms certificates - you just pass the 'permis de chasser' hunting exam and you have your hunting licence for life. You can then purchase any type of hunting weapon you wish. The only paperwork involves letting the prefecture know that you have a new rifle, and they send you a registration paper to say it's yours (the gunshop will normally notify the prefecture so you don't need to bother). For single and double barreled shotguns there is no paperwork at all...
    Despite the fact that practically everyone in the French countryside is armed or has access to weapons, and there are no gun cabinets, the French murder rate is almost identical to that of the UK (about 350 murders a year countrywide) - I could rant on about this all day, I apologise!!!!!!